HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:15 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Is that good? That seems good.
I was about to ask the same thing, that's almost half which seems normal? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 3:00 AM

It's a pretty decent pace if that's closed transactions. What's more important is how close these sales are to their asking prices. If they sold 43% of the building alreadyat or above their "MSRP", then that's pretty solid. If they had to give a lot of discounts then that's a lot less encouraging. Then there's always the balance of which units sold. If that's 43% of the top half of the building that's also not great, but if they've unloaded an equal number of smaller and less impressive units at or near their asking prices, that's a great sign.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's a pretty decent pace if that's closed transactions. What's more important is how close these sales are to their asking prices. If they sold 43% of the building alreadyat or above their "MSRP", then that's pretty solid. If they had to give a lot of discounts then that's a lot less encouraging. Then there's always the balance of which units sold. If that's 43% of the top half of the building that's also not great, but if they've unloaded an equal number of smaller and less impressive units at or near their asking prices, that's a great sign.
This is incredibly unhelpful in allowing me to jump to conclusions.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
This is incredibly unhelpful in allowing me to jump to conclusions.
Just look it up online?

Declaration of Condominium: 435 North Michigan Avenue Condominium
Doc #211822014 Dated: 6/29/21 Recorded: 6/30/21

https://www.cookcountyclerkil.gov/se...rch-recordings

Grantor: Tribune Tower West Chicago Owner, LLC

http://162.217.184.82/i2/default.aspx

The real estate transfer tax stamp is usually on the last page of the deed.

Chicago: $3.75 tax per $500.00 transfer price
CTA: $1.50 tax per $500.00 transfer price

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:34 PM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 4:35 PM

Chicago Magazine has a great article on this development as well!

http://www.chicagomag.com/uncategori...rs-to-live-in/

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Chicago Magazine has a great article on this development as well!

http://www.chicagomag.com/uncategori...rs-to-live-in/
Hilarious that they quoted Thomas Jefferson on that wall. The same man who said:

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeprise View Post
Hilarious that they quoted Thomas Jefferson on that wall. The same man who said:

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
Jefferson was a great, but flawed, man, often contradicting himself (all men are created equal, but a slaveowner). He also said he would prefer “newspapers without government” to “government without newspapers." Jefferson was known to regularly personally attack any newspaper that dared disagree with his policies. Those quotes are likely examples.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 11:57 PM

Yesterday’s Sunday Tribune has a feature on the rehab and says “The Tribune Tower Residences are complete”.

So, on to phase 2?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
Jefferson was a great, but flawed, man, often contradicting himself (all men are created equal, but a slaveowner). He also said he would prefer “newspapers without government” to “government without newspapers." Jefferson was known to regularly personally attack any newspaper that dared disagree with his policies. Those quotes are likely examples.
A flawed man indeed. He was a human after all. I could talk about him for hours.

Anyway, REALLY hoping this tower happens. I’m one of those who wishes these towers were spread out a little more to expand the skyline but I shouldn’t complain. I don’t possess a knowledge of architecture anywhere near the average poster on this board but I think it looks pretty cool in the renderings.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:38 PM

My god--those terrace views! IMO the architectural epicenter of the city

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:18 PM

That photo of the "curving terrace" is just jaw dropping.....

The contrast of new and old - amazing.

Photos like this make me appreciate Chicago so much more from an architectural perspective. I have spent this month in Paris, and this might sound crazy, but I feel these weird parallel DNA strands between the two cities.

Walking through the parks in central Paris.... Seeing the fountain at the gardens at Versailles that look oddly like Buckingham Fountain..... The emphasis on architecture, food, and blending it together. Or maybe I am reaching for some connection that isn't there.

When I see the neo-gothic style of old Chicago buildings built in this era, I can't help but think Paris had an influence on those who built the pillars of Chicago after the fire. So seeing these photos of the Tribune tower rehabs now just make me appreciate it even more from a distance. The integration of the old Tribune Tower with new interior design here is worth every penny.

très incroyable

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
That photo of the "curving terrace" is just jaw dropping.....

The contrast of new and old - amazing.

Photos like this make me appreciate Chicago so much more from an architectural perspective. I have spent this month in Paris, and this might sound crazy, but I feel these weird parallel DNA strands between the two cities.

Walking through the parks in central Paris.... Seeing the fountain at the gardens at Versailles that look oddly like Buckingham Fountain..... The emphasis on architecture, food, and blending it together. Or maybe I am reaching for some connection that isn't there.

When I see the neo-gothic style of old Chicago buildings built in this era, I can't help but think Paris had an influence on those who built the pillars of Chicago after the fire. So seeing these photos of the Tribune tower rehabs now just make me appreciate it even more from a distance. The integration of the old Tribune Tower with new interior design here is worth every penny.

The connection is that Chicago quite literally wanted to be Paris.

The Paris we see today is the result of the wide-scale demolition and rebuilding of the medieval city into a then-modern city between the years of 1853 to 1870.

Chicago burned down in 1871.

Every single ambitious American architect at the time thought, “Holy Crap, here’s our chance to build an American Paris.” Burnham’s 1909 Plan of Chicago is all about trying to make Chicago into a Parisian-like city. (With the hope that a renovation similar to Paris could also be a form of effective social engineering for Chicago.)

From 1853 to 1861, William Le Baron Jenney who built Chicago’s first skyscraper studied architecture and engineering at the École Centrale Paris, learning sophisticated iron and steel techniques. His classmate was Gustave Eiffel.

The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 World’s Fair in Paris.

Chicago was desperate to host the next World Fair to try to surpass Paris. In 1893, Chicago completed the White City and the Ferris Wheel.

People who visited Chicago to see the White City also traveled there to see the world’s first skyscrapers which were called the “Black City”. The skyscrapers were described as Eiffel Towers with walls.

From a French perspective:

“By a singular contrast, the White City I left, constructed only for a season and finished to the minutest detail, must disappear forever, while the black city, which will endure forever is only at its commencement. Strange contrast. I felt it was unique. I saw it presented the exceptional feature of this exposition, distinguishing it from all others.

The White City of Jackson Park, with its palatial monuments of human achievement lacking only in stability, standing at the gates of a city still incomplete, is not an apotheosis, it is a hope.”

Paul Bourget

Basically, Chicago was a very young city, trying to establish its own identity, that became fascinated by Paris at a critical time.

Last edited by galleyfox; Oct 27, 2021 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:45 PM

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/11/a-l...cent-mile.html

Article also states no new information about the tribune tower 1,422 ft but news should be coming soon as soon as they are completely finished with phase 1.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 11:14 PM
DENNAB

Chicago does have the nation's fastest growing downtown, not bad for a "shrinking" city. Maybe they can pull this off after all.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Every single ambitious American architect at the time thought, “Holy Crap, here’s our chance to build an American Paris.” Burnham’s 1909 Plan of Chicago is all about trying to make Chicago into a Parisian-like city. (With the hope that a renovation similar to Paris could also be a form of effective social engineering for Chicago.)
Yeah Ed Bennett (who worked for Burnham initially) was probably the man most directly responsible. He copied the Tuileries and Versailles for Grant Park, including Buckingham Fountain. He copied the quays along the Seine for Wacker Drive and the Michigan Ave bridge. I suspect the little park around Water Tower was inspired by the Tour St. Jacques in Paris. Etc etc.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 1:53 PM

Just curious, any news on if the construction for the 1,422ft Tribune Tower East skyscraper will commence soon? Last I heard, it was supposed to break ground early 2022.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 5:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Just curious, any news on if the construction for the 1,422ft Tribune Tower East skyscraper will commence soon? Last I heard, it was supposed to break ground early 2022.

Any news would be posted here very quickly if there were.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 8:37 PM

Anxiously waiting news for this. I sure hope it will start construction this year

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:29 PM

Unfortunately I don't see any permits in progress at any of the possible Michigan, Illinois or Cityfront addresses at this site so we're probably at least 2-3 months away from any construction activity. Maybe someone else can find one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals