HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:16 AM
ride or die

SANTA MONICA l PLAZA AT SANTA MONICA l OMA l 12 STORIES 148 ft

LEED-Gold
Developer: MetropolitanPacific
Architect: OMA
Landscape Design: OLIN
127,000 sf hotel
172,000 sf office
40,000 sf retail
86,000 sf affordable housing (50 units)
56,000 sf public open space on 2 levels
Bike Center
1,220 subterranean spaces

source: santamonicanext.org, metropolitanpacific.com

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 11:30 PM
ride or die

Santa Monica planning commission votes 4-1 in favor of recommending this project advance to City Council for negotiation of Development agreement with Metropolitan Pacific - the developer.

Hopefully the anti-growth City Council will not try to obstruct this project.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:13 PM

Is it still downsized or are they starting from scratch?

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:26 AM

Cancelled

This proposal was wiped off the table back in December.

https://smmirror.com/2020/12/santa-m...hotel-project/

Quote:
Led by the votes of newly-elected councilmembers and the recently chosen mayor, Santa Monica City Council has voted to stop a controversial hotel proposal in the heart of downtown.

At the December 15 Santa Monica City Council meeting, Council directed staff to cease negotiations with the developers of The Plaza at Santa Monica. The proposal called for an 11-story, 240-room luxury hotel, with 106,800 square feet of creative office space, approximately 40,000 square feet of open public space and 48 units of affordable housing at 4th Street and Arizona Avenue in Downtown Santa Monica.

Council voted 4-3 in favor of ceasing negotiations with developer Clarett West. Among those who voted to end the project was recently-chosen Mayor Sue Himmelrich, in her first significant vote in the role.

“I voted against this project on public land, as I did last summer, because it never delivered sufficient value to the City either in its affordable housing, open space, or revenue. I look forward to working with my colleagues and the public to find a reimagined project that does deliver superior value to us on this prime City-owned property,” Himmelrich told the Mirror.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:32 AM

"I'd rather the site sits empty for decades so i can get far less dense project that includes 3 affordable housing units that I can claim victory on and a political contribution when I run for governor" is what I read.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive