HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 2:19 PM

Thanks Makid for clarifying that. I was hoping that you specifically would comment. So if there are no short-range goals to create more vertical meeting space or exhibition space at those blank wall locations then at the very least create some beautiful murals. I really like some of what Domain created over at the new Exchange development.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 3:04 PM
Space Magi

New aerial of the Post District from MVE's social media:

Really shows how many empty and underutilized parcels still exist in the southern part of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
New aerial of the Post District from MVE's social media:
Cool pic. Off topic, but it looks like there's a photoshop edit downtown with half of 95 state replaced by a section of the Key Bank building. Looks weird, but maybe it's just me.

Edit: nevermind, It's just a clear reflection of the Key Bank building.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 9:24 PM

New SLC Project: Alexan Granary - INDUSTRY

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 675 S 500 W

Architect: Architectural Nexus Inc.

The Basics: 8 floors. 1.36 acres. 241 residential units. Part of the next phase of the INDUSTRY Development.

Project Overview (from Developer): Salt Lake City is in the midst of a transformation, with the continued development of the Granary District. We look forward to partnering with the City to help create an iconic building within the neighborhood. Our proposed addition to the District and the fabric of this neighborhood is our project, tentatively called Alexan Granary, which will be located on a 1.36-acre site, anchored between 500 W and Elder Court on 700 S.
The current project plan anticipates an eight-story structure developed into a mixed use residential and retail project with associated structured parking. The frontages along 700 S, 500 W, and Elder Court are defined by articulating the pattern of materials between double height retail spaces along 700 S and 500 W. Brownstone units run along part of 700 S, and along Elder Court on grade with elevated patios to maintain a pedestrian connection to the street edge.

Project Rendering

Project Rendering

Property Location

Site Plan

Unit Details

Existing Site Conditions

Elevations:

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 10:12 PM
Space Magi

Architecturally, it's pretty bland. I wish the renderings weren't black-and-white. I like that large corner retail space though, and it will compliment Slackwater and the new nearby food hall. Street-level entrances to units are good too.

Granary needs more trees.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 10:43 PM
Space Magi

In related news, Q-Factor has submitted a request to the city to reduce the public ROW on 500W between 600S and 700S to 50 ft in order to create a pedestrian-friendly streetscape in front of Industry SLC.

On any other street, I'd welcome this news wholeheartedly. That said, in order to preserve the 500W corridor for the eventual construction of the train box for the Rio Grande Plan, I don't think the city should cede control of any of the 500W ROW to a private developer. I am going to submit a comment saying as much.

Curious about what Hatman's perspective is on this!

Last edited by Atlas; Jul 14, 2022 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:19 AM

Recent article on building salt lake made it seem like the city may be moving away from the Rio Grande plan. Hope that’s not true, the plan is visionary and would take SLC urban environment to another level. Would be interested in any info from Hatman on the train box and Rio Grande.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/uta...nde-plan-dead/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 5:36 AM

Really nice looking new drone shots of the city.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Recent article on building salt lake made it seem like the city may be moving away from the Rio Grande plan. Hope that’s not true, the plan is visionary and would take SLC urban environment to another level. Would be interested in any info from Hatman on the train box and Rio Grande.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/uta...nde-plan-dead/
Moving away from it? The city never moved towards it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
Ah semantics. I should more closely read what I post, but you have a good point. Would have been nice if the city moved towards it

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:15 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
They sorta have moved toward it. The city government has quietly gotten interested in it and applied for a federal RAISE grant to study the possibility. The article is about UTA doing their own thing and not even recognizing the RGP.

Last edited by Atlas; Jul 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
They sorta have moved toward it. The city government has quietly gotten interested in it and applied for a federal RAISE grant to study the possibility. The article is about UTA doing their own thing and not even recognizing the RGP.
I look at what UTA is doing as complimentary to the RGP. Have the Trains all go to the Rio Grande station and this way the bus services can be handled at the Central Station. 3rd South between 5th and 6th West would be a great pedestrian promenade that would link the 2 locations.

This would even allow for the extension of Trax along 6th West to 4th South and extending to Main. This could be used as a loop with the Orange/Black line extending from the Airport to Rio Grand along 4th West, and then heading East at 4th South.

This would be similar to the Denver Union Station where the Rail and Bus stations are separated yet still relatively close.

UTA can build out the Central Station, using it as a Bus Depot with a rail link (on 6th West). They could redevelop the rails for additional bus stalls or have the newly available land developed to further support UTA services (Residential, Commercial, & Hospitality).

Last edited by Makid; Jul 14, 2022 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 675 S 500 W

Architect: Architectural Nexus Inc.

The Basics: 8 floors. 1.36 acres. 241 residential units. Part of the next phase of the INDUSTRY Development.

Project Overview (from Developer): Salt Lake City is in the midst of a transformation, with the continued development of the Granary District. We look forward to partnering with the City to help create an iconic building within the neighborhood. Our proposed addition to the District and the fabric of this neighborhood is our project, tentatively called Alexan Granary, which will be located on a 1.36-acre site, anchored between 500 W and Elder Court on 700 S.
The current project plan anticipates an eight-story structure developed into a mixed use residential and retail project with associated structured parking. The frontages along 700 S, 500 W, and Elder Court are defined by articulating the pattern of materials between double height retail spaces along 700 S and 500 W. Brownstone units run along part of 700 S, and along Elder Court on grade with elevated patios to maintain a pedestrian connection to the street edge.

Project Rendering

Site Plan
What's confusing me about this project is that I thought they just got the HUGE parking tower permitted for the area (directly across their new midblock street) so that all of the parking for this second phase would be located there.

I mean, the parking tower is set to have spots for nearly 1,000 cars: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/new...mmission-says/

So the fact that this housing project seems to include even more parking feels like they are not living up to what they were indicating in order to build that parking tower. At least that's how it feels to me.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 9:39 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Astra Progress 7/13/2022, as per u/NoosNoos_ on the subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Development...gress_7132022/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 10:31 PM

Astra is coming along nicely, thanks for the updates Reeder

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 11:02 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Really nice looking new drone shots of the city.
It is a downtown making nice progress.

The shots from the North to South angle show that more high-rise expansion could occur further east to provide some balance.

I looked at the downtown populations of various cities in the western U.S. SLC has the lowest aside of towns in Wyoming and Montana. A ton of catching up to do. Current downtown population is less than 6,500. It is supposed to double in the next few years.

I think downtown should easily support a population of 15,000 to 25,000. The periphery of the city can support even more.

Last edited by Ironweed; Jul 14, 2022 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:21 AM

Anybody know what they're doing to the building on the North east corner of West Temple and 200S? Certainly sprucing it up quite a bit. You can't quite tell in this picture but it looks like they might be adding retail to the ground level.
Current construction:

November 2021 for reference:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
Anybody know what they're doing to the building on the North east corner of West Temple and 200S? Certainly sprucing it up quite a bit. You can't quite tell in this picture but it looks like they might be adding retail to the ground level.
Current construction:

November 2021 for reference:
Dang, I wish they wouldn't put money into it haha. I honestly can't wait for the day that building gets replaced. This just postpones it more

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome View Post
Dang, I wish they wouldn't put money into it haha. I honestly can't wait for the day that building gets replaced. This just postpones it more
LOL, Those were my thoughts exactly.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:24 PM

Sugar Alleys coming along nicely!

July 2022

Photos Courtesy of Kier Construction @ https://www.kier.org/our-work/multi-...y-micro-units/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West