HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
I think the two legislative buildings are fantastic examples of how to execute neoclassical architecture in this day and age. I respectfully disagree, I think we have far too many glass boxes being constructed currently, and I feel like it would distract from rather than compliment the existing architectural character.
I very much agree Wasatch. I think the east and west annexes added most recently are a very attractive fit. A clean glass box at the north end of the campus could definitely be less obtrusive than many Capitol annexes I've seen scattered around the country, some of which are truly offensive when compared to the original structure. However, I think the choice of a faithfully executed neo-classical design sheathed in the same patina and quality granite as its neighbors is a much better choice.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 10:37 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
It looks like a movie studio backlot and I'm assuming it'll have the same energy of one when there's no filming.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 11:26 PM

Isn’t there a Lees market in the hardware district? The area isn’t a food desert at least in terms of groceries. I’m in the middle on this. Hardwares could use a few restaurants/shops, but I agree it probably couldn’t support wall to wall commercial with gateway across the street already. Looking at the hardware from an areal I think what it really needed was little park right in the middle of the apartments instead of separate apartment ‘pool/outdoor’ spaces. A central meeting area for people to congregate instead of side streets intersecting the apartments.

An area that really needed the commercial street level was 400 S. All those long apartments with nothing but glass windows and parking garage behind. in a perfect world with unlimited capital we should have built apartments that replaced the commercial parking lots adjacent to 400 S (e.g Smiths, restaurant strip mall between 600-700 E), and moved the commercial restaurants and stores ground level underneath the apartments. Put parking behind and out of view of University Boulevard with more apartments on top of that parking. A pipe dream.

I also like the stonework on the capital addition. We’ll have plenty of glass in the future, old school stone looks great. A glass building behind the capital would look awkward and out of place.

370 brick facade looks better than all the crappy stucco apartments. More of that. I agree, the parking garage needs to be hidden though.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 11:37 PM

Proposed Changes

Changing RMF-30 Zoning to make developing multi-families easier
https://rmf-30-zoning-changes-slcgov.hub.arcgis.com/

Allow shared housing in extra neighborhoods
https://shared-housing-1-slcgov.hub.arcgis.com/

Changes to off-street parking regulations
https://off-street-parking-proposal-...ub.arcgis.com/

Zoning amendments to encourage affordable housing (additional height, less parking requirements)
https://www.slc.gov/planning/2022/01...dable-housing/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:48 AM
Space Magi

Planning Commission approved both 465 Main and the Coachman project tonight.

The Coachman project is confirmed to be 100% for-sale condos! Hopefully we see more condo projects in the near future, particularly in the CBD.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:10 PM

Good to hear Atlas. Deutsche Bank predicted a major recession is coming soon. I wonder how that will affect the building boom in Salt Lake City. I think residential in all its forms will continue to thrive in the SLC area, but office towers
are probably going to slow significantly. Office tower development for many reasons seems to be in a bit of limbo for the next year or two. It will be interesting to see if the Hotel industry manages to recover some lost ground, though I
imagine the complete pre-pandemic levels will be slowed somewhat. I'm glad we have at least quite a few major projects already under construction. Hopefully, the Salt Lake City market will respond really well to the current residential
towers buildup and we'll get some new tallest closer to the 600' ft. range over the next five years.

Here are some of the latest updates from Kier. Sugar Alley is coming along nicely. If anyone gets a chance please grab some shots of 650 Main, 600 Main, and the new 600 South Station progress.

April 2022

_________

Photos Courtesy of Kier Construction

This angle from Harvest Marmalade isn't quite the iconic northwest shot but still, the Hyatt is adding some nice 3-D width to the skyline. Domain and Phase II of the West Quarter are going to go a long way in increasing the skyline's dimension also.
I would like to see some more hotel towers above the Convention Center over on South Temple between 200 and 400 West. I don't have a problem with the location of the Salt Palace if they would just go vertical around the campus in some strategic areas.

Photo Courtesy of Kier Construction

Last edited by delts145; Apr 28, 2022 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:52 PM

As with everything, "I wish the CCH was ten stories taller," but it makes a surprising impact on the skyline coming from any direction. And maybe a negative impact from the west because it's so damn wide...but I'm glad it's here. Hoping to see it continue to spur more development.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:29 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
This isn't quite the angle of the iconic northwest shot but still, The Hyatt is adding some nice 3-D width to the skyline. Domain and Phase II of the West Quarter are going to go a long way in increasing the skyline's dimension also.
Convexity will extend it eastward too. Nice to see the density starting to move outward from Main. WQP2 in particular is going to be ultra-prominent from the northwest and south.

Could we get some updated massings when you get a chance, Orlando?

EDIT: tower crane going up on Convexity today:

Source

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 28, 2022 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:20 PM
Ironweed

What is the status of the tear down of the Pantages outfit?

Is Valentine now sleeping in the theater to prevent it's demise?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:44 PM

Astra Tower

Is anyone else on this forum wondering why there is not yet a tower crane on the Astra Tower site?

It seems odd that Convexity is building one now but they are quite a bit behind Astra tower on their construction.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

Demolition appears to be ongoing. About half of the entire north wall of the theatre has been knocked down where you can see all the way inside the theatre now from the outside.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Is anyone else on this forum wondering why there is not yet a tower crane on the Astra Tower site?

It seems odd that Convexity is building one now but they are quite a bit behind Astra tower on their construction.
I did notice they disassembled and removed the mobile red crane from the Astra site today. Haven't seen signs of the permanent large crane yet, but maybe that's a sign they are getting closer.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 7:36 AM

West Quarter Block C has been submitted to the planning commission. Comment period starts May 2nd. Looks like they'll discuss it in their mid-June meeting.

16 story, multifamily residential, mixed-use building with 323 residential dwelling units. The unit mix includes 85 studios, 161 one-bedroom, 68 two-bedroom, and 9 three-bedroom units. The first floor of the building will contain retail spaces and a residential lobby. Floors 2-8 will consist of a parking deck with 343 parking stalls wrapped in residential units. https://www.slc.gov/planning/2022/04...design-review/

Judging by the project site pictures, i'd wager the Royal Wood comes down during this phase of the project (which is essentially phase 1.5).

Last edited by mattreedah; May 1, 2022 at 7:52 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 4:38 PM

Status of Utah Theater demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

I stood and watched for a few minutes - demolition is progressing painfully slow.

Photo from Friday the 29th.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 10:22 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
I did notice they disassembled and removed the mobile red crane from the Astra site today. Haven't seen signs of the permanent large crane yet, but maybe that's a sign they are getting closer.
The Worthington crane foundation was probably poured as one of the first things they did on site. Jacobsen could have probably done that too with Astra Tower, but chose to pour the crane foundation with the rest of the building foundation. The image below shows the location where the tower crane foundation will be, if you're interested.

Last edited by Schmoe; May 2, 2022 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Resize image

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 10:47 PM
of SLC

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 11:12 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Well now whatever I've done to try to shrink it has made it disappear. I give up.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 11:15 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Fixed

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 11:21 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Fixed

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 6:44 AM

some astra tower pics from today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West