HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
surely you agree with me

aspers plan is not 120 million...that drawing he showed was easily 200+

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 12:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely..

But the drawings I saw weren't as elaborate as the Ray Wan drawings.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I don't get where the cost is in these football stadiums, in particular the Toronto one you showed us. It's mostly a big pile of concrete, where does all the money go?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 7:31 AM

Is that new design bootlegged straight out of SimCity 3000? "your city has reached 700, 000 people, ready for the big leagues.." "UFO's spotted shooting lazers over city"... ahhhh, i miss that game

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 7:43 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Is that new design bootlegged straight out of SimCity 3000? "your city has reached 700, 000 people, ready for the big leagues.." "UFO's spotted shooting lazers over city"... ahhhh, i miss that game
I wish I could hold Ctrl X and type 'weaknesspays' a couple of times for Winnipeg's sake.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 6:09 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

A roof over Blue? Indoor stadium touted

By ADAM CLAYTON, STAFF REPORTER | Winnipeg Sun | Sat, January 20, 2007

new indoor stadium is a realistic option for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, according to a report released yesterday.

The Bombers, the Red River Exhibition Association and Canad Inns released a long-awaited study on the feasibility of a new or revamped stadium for the CFL team yesterday.

The study found a destination complex -- featuring a climate-controlled stadium plus exhibition and trade show space as well as a Canad Inns hotel and water park -- would bring in an average of $7.68 million a year in positive revenue.

"The goal here is to provide a home for football that our fans can enjoy the games in, and this certainly gives us that," said Blue Bombers chairman Ken Hildahl.

The complex would also come with a hefty price tag, with capital costs pegged at $276.3 million.

The study eyed 12 potential locations for the facility, including the existing stadium's Polo Park site and Red River Ex Park near Assiniboia Downs.

The Red River location remains an option, even though there doesn't appear to be much political support for the site.

"I'll be frank, it would be a tough sell even for our fans," said Hildahl.

"We've heard loud and clear that our fans don't want to see the stadium at Red River Ex Park. But the board will consider that, we won't reject it out of hand."

Paul Robson, CEO of the Red River Ex Association, said the organization isn't interested in building a stadium that isn't located on its grounds.

The football club will soon invite interested parties to submit their ideas regarding the complex and hopes to receive expressions of interest during the next couple of months, said Hildahl.

UNDER WRAPS

The study was released five days after media mogul David Asper presented Bombers brass with his own proposal for a new $120-million stadium. The partially-covered facility would be built at the existing stadium site.

The feasibility study was completed in February 2006, but the three funding partners agreed to keep it under wraps until now to avoid distractions while Winnipeg was preparing for last year's Grey Cup.

According to the study, it would cost nearly $30 million to fully upgrade the existing stadium, and the improvements would extend the life of the stadium for about a decade.

The report also stated a retrofitted stadium would only bring $600,000 to $700,000 a year in additional revenue.

Public funds would be necessary to proceed with the $276-million destination complex, but it's not clear how much would be needed.

A spokesman for Mayor Sam Katz said the city is prepared to sit down with the football team once a decision has been made regarding a stadium. A spokesman for Premier Gary Doer said the province won't get involved until the Bombers and its board of directors make a decision on the various proposals on the table.

A spokesman for Treasury Board Minister Vic Toews said yesterday that funding a football stadium in Manitoba isn't among the federal government's highest priorities.

---

SEE THE SITES

Possible locations for a new football stadium, hotel and water park:

- Red River Exhibition Site, 3977 Portage Ave.

- West St. Paul

- Kilcona/Springfield

- Dugald/Murdoch Road

- St. Boniface Stockyards, 660 Marion St.

- Fort Garry-SW Bishop Grandin Boulevard

- Fort Garry-NE Bishop Grandin Boulevard

- Fort Whyte

- West End, 1460 Dublin Ave.

- Weston Rail Yards

- Southdale-east Bishop Grandin Boulevard

- Point Douglas-south Nairn Avenue

-- Source: Destination Complex Feasibility Assessment Final Report

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 6:12 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I know RGalston is going really to enjoy this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Sun Comments

STREET SPEAKS

If a new stadium is going to be built, where should it be and why?

"I think where they were thinking about, at the end of the Perimeter ... there is a good idea. It's out of the way so everybody's going to have a place to park. There's going to be a lot of room."

-- Rob Storoziuk

"I think it should definitely be built on the Red River Exhibition grounds just because there's a lot more room. At Polo Park, there's not enough parking, and it's just going to be crowded."

-- Isabelle Szustakowski

"It should be right where it is, because they have the parking space there and it's all right there. You just have to tear down the old one."

-- Chris Hanson

"They shouldn't build on the old stadium grounds, they should find a nice new area with nice new highways ... instead of the old, rickety, ugly streets they have in this city here. That would make a lot more sense."

-- Elizabeth Peters

"The Perimeter probably would be the best. There's lots of parking available, lots of open space, so it actually would be pretty good."

-- Jamie Davis

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Sun Comments

STREET SPEAKS

If a new stadium is going to be built, where should it be and why?

"I think where they were thinking about, at the end of the Perimeter ... there is a good idea. It's out of the way so everybody's going to have a place to park. There's going to be a lot of room."

-- Rob Storoziuk

"I think it should definitely be built on the Red River Exhibition grounds just because there's a lot more room. At Polo Park, there's not enough parking, and it's just going to be crowded."

-- Isabelle Szustakowski

"It should be right where it is, because they have the parking space there and it's all right there. You just have to tear down the old one."

-- Chris Hanson

"They shouldn't build on the old stadium grounds, they should find a nice new area with nice new highways ... instead of the old, rickety, ugly streets they have in this city here. That would make a lot more sense."

-- Elizabeth Peters

"The Perimeter probably would be the best. There's lots of parking available, lots of open space, so it actually would be pretty good."

-- Jamie Davis
Yes, more bread and circuses!

Winnipeggers don't know what's good for them!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:34 PM
visionary

in yesterdays Free Press they were stating the pros and cons of each potential site for the new stadium, and one of them stated one fo the cons of the cons for the point douglas-higgins ain't a good site because its all surrounding buildings are decrepid and eyesores. Well ain't it a perfect time to totally redevelop and rezone the area from scratch that area is a goldmine for oportunity.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:38 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
in yesterdays Free Press they were stating the pros and cons of each potential site for the new stadium, and one of them stated one fo the cons of the cons for the point douglas-higgins ain't a good site because its all surrounding buildings are decrepid and eyesores. Well ain't it a perfect time to totally redevelop and rezone the area from scratch that area is a goldmine for oportunity.
uh oh, 1ajs will soon post his reply to this

As long as the houses don't get touched.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:46 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
uh oh, 1ajs will soon post his reply to this

As long as the houses don't get touched.
yeah I know lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 7:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
lol you guys.

well i think if they shut the disrealie down and they are building a stadium all the plp in NK will be protesting cause it will make their comute that much slower...............

but not just that you would be killing a nieborhood in south point douglas........ most of thoughs houses are lived in by artists so you would have the rath of them to deal with but not just them also the people from north point douglas.

there is no room also to build a stadium...

point douglas

canada packers site

downtown

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:25 PM
visionary

1ajs:

as I said if the entire higgins area is totally redeveloped from scratch u would for sure make room for a stadium...

of course there will be opposition to building a stadium anywheres for that matter, residents around polo park even complain about the congestion, and people parking at there side streets and the noise during gameday.

I would love to boat to a bomber game one day.....

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:34 PM
visionary

actually I would really prefer if the stadium were retractable roof and built by convention centre and Mts Centre.

I don't know why the brass at convention center and maybe with True North don't get into a partnership with the bombers on get into this great opportunity. too add alot more floor space for larger convention. Besides this would lessen the burden on us taxpayers

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:51 PM
visionary

if it were domed I would love to see glass surrounding atop the stadium like they do at that new (ford) dome in Detroit for the Lions in the endzones.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

higgins is not a vast wasteland theres viable buisnes along it... its just a cuple bigies that are the problem cold storage witch is being redeveloped ogilive witch is just an empty lot with 2 buildings one is a flee market the other is used as a factory of some sort.. otherwise higgins is not in all that bad of shape just need another food market shame edios got shut down they were always busy i think the owner got board and drove it into the ground type thing... the able wholesale building the owner wants to rebuild but its winter witch makes it a pain to continue his selvaging. across the street is the old toilit factory witch is now rented out by the sqft.. many artists use that building... higgins is slowly getting better. once able wholesale rebuild gets underway we should see some other activity along higgins hopefuly. the tower by the tracks is just itching for condos!!!! i so wana bu it and take over the top floor and convert it!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
across the street is the old toilit factory witch is now rented out by the sqft.. many artists use that building... higgins is slowly getting better. once able wholesale rebuild gets underway we should see some other activity along higgins hopefuly. the tower by the tracks is just itching for condos!!!! i so wana bu it and take over the top floor and convert it!
I know you love this area and u have high hopes of many great things to happy it just that area just isn't too inviting and has no warm feel to it. There needs some development to revive this area to compliment it as a downtown destination but not take away from the merchants off portage and the exchange.

-----

that tower would look great as a condos unit. thats for sure.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 11:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I know you love this area and u have high hopes of many great things to happy it just that area just isn't too inviting and has no warm feel to it. There needs some development to revive this area to compliment it as a downtown destination but not take away from the merchants off portage and the exchange.

-----

higgins has a long way to go but its far froim dead............. next summer the city is going to be resurfacing it between austin and anibela so that should be funny to watch all the traffic snarls but then all the fucktards will come down euclid

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 11:55 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:

-----

I too hope to see it revitalized one day, but I just don't see it as being a priority from city hall since half of the city of Winnipeg needs to be revitalized . But it will have it's time i'm sure

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 6:02 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

If I had my way

Ah too bad it isn't as easy as Sim City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan