HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

[B]Move over Mississauga… Markham in the house showing how she can build crazy stuff in fields too ;-).
It's an excellent place for that type of density though. There's a new York University campus under construction across the street and a GO station 50m away.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:24 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:05 PM

Markham hasn't seen a lot of high-rise development for the last decade because they had insanely high parkland dedication fees (something like $50-60,000 a unit) on apartments that broke the pro-forma in the City for apartments, and relatively few units got built.

The province forced them to change it a year or two ago so now apartment proposals are popping up everywhere.

They also had a height limit from Buttonville Airport, which like Downsview, has recently closed.. so that's gone now too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:37 PM
I am the law!

Excellent is a stretch. GO rail is not even local transit. It's regional transit limited to a downtown specific corridor. The first phase sold well because of the York University campus. Can the campus attract more investors for the second, larger phase is the question in a worsening market.

It is close to Remington city centre development and provides airspace between the very tall towers. There are some good things to say about Remington's Gallery blocks. Ultimately, the ridiculous stacked densities at medium rise/ podium level will eventually be its undoing. It's Downtown Entertainment District density in a master planned community in overpriced Unionville.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:44 PM

Why didn't they build Union City south first? There's going to be a huge deadzone between the current development and the bus loop/GO platform.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:46 PM
I am the law!

Save the best for last

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:24 PM

Holy sh*t Batman... this is nuts! I'd be happy with one lol.

110 Eglinton East | 236.55m | 58s | Madison Group | Rafael Viñoly l pre-construction

and

150 Eglinton East | 236.75m | 61s | Madison Group | Rafael Viñoly l pre-construction

61 storeys x 2 and 58 storeys x 2 with about 2400 residential units, retail and pretty amazing POPs.

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

^^ NOTE: no baby grand piano for this proposal ... the big Bosendorfer for a big development

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:07 PM
I am the law!

Piano render person lives!

Badly needed mid block connector that is almost aligned with the mid block walkway between Roehampton and Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Those renderings look awesome.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:20 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

110 and 150 Eglinton E:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:26 AM
Midtowner since 2K

My first, immediate reaction to this proposal was anger, and partly because the design reads as rather generic and monotomous with the repeated motifs over two sites. While I'm sure this would be a great landscaping/urban design plan on street level, but I'm conflicted on whether this would be an inviting/engaging space if executed with care.
Although I understand the commercial market is in a bad place now, I still wish to see the full office space replacement made here, as this project involves the demolition of two substantial buildings, which I'm torn on seeing demolished for this project, even despite their flaws.

I'm also curious how they'd pull off a mid-block connection here, although I can see the eastern site working with the planned redevelopment of the smaller brick condo tower by Redpath and Roehampton.
I'm fine with the height here, though I have a feeling this will see a reduction of height, especially to the eastern towers.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:39 AM

One more:

110 Eglinton East | 236.55m | 58s | Madison Group | Rafael Viñoly l pre-construction

A great aerial of 110 Eglinton.

abovegrade

If and when this is built, and if and when (lol) the 2180 Yonge development is built, along with 7 or 8 other talls in the pipeline (up to 212 metres)…. one might argue that Yonge and Eglinton nabe on its own…
will have a more impressive skyline than many North American cities.

2180 Yonge @ 65, 65, 60, 55 and 45 storeys.

UT

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:53 AM
I am the law!

110 Eglinton has 300,000 square feet of proposed office space. I don't like that there are 4 identical tower but, I can't be bothered to get any deeper. The specs are all unique for Toronto especially the free for all overdevelopment at Yonge & Eglinton. There's density left on the table. Two elevator cores per tower lowering the maximum efficiency of the floor plate. The ceiling heights are 2 feet higher than the norm. Etc.

I feel these were unbuilt visions for another city which the estate sold to Madison and TFAI hastily modified.

Sucks about the mid block connector being artistic impression

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:55 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

One of these towers would be great. Even a pair is fine. But 4 nearly-identical towers in an almost-row is just excessive.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Yeah quadruplets is definitely pushing things a bit since I don't usually even like twins. Although I have a lot more patience for it in a somewhat "out of sight" area compared to if it was right downtown. And the style is kind of unique in their warm colour and lack of protruding balconies. These buildings may be repeats of each other, but at least they're quite unique compared to the prevailing highrise trends. I'd say I'm more for it than against it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:32 AM

Great looking towers, not so great looking street level.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:45 PM

One last angle on the proposal.

UT

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:55 PM
I am the law!

needs a signature supertall between these towers. Blue glass. That's what's missing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
needs a signature supertall between these towers. Blue glass. That's what's missing.
^ The world must have tilted on its axis... because I agree with you .

Was just thinking a minute before I read your comment that a super-tall would be perfect for the Yonge and Egg skyline, especially if these are built.

1910 Yonge | 177.49m | 53s | Davpart | Graziani + Corazza l recommended for Approval

I doubt the Davisville community will be thrilled with this (does have rentals in the mix): now recommended for Approval. 53 and 48 storeys with a 1041 units in a rental/condo mix.

UT

UT

These monoliths below are proposed just up the street in the Davisville nabe (for heaven’s sake use some bloody orange or red brick and warm things up):

The Millwood | 157.6m | 45s | Times Group | Core Architects pre-construction

UT

UT

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 5:44 PM

1910 Yonge looks like crap. A regurgitated dates design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada