HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:09 AM

I definitely contributed to the overhype but... that was on purpose lol. Look how much engagement there is on this project now on this forum, so many comments and people talking about it everywhere, not just this site. The grassroots hype for this is real, and I still believe the colloquial stars are aligned. This is a big step in the right direction politically. Cut-and-Cover would be ideal for this subway but an elevated line seems more likely and cost effective as Summers said. Either way, if we can get a BSL extension on Roosevelt Blvd, it would be amazing for Philly, and we could easily pass 2M in population again if it happens. NE Philly would explode, I have no doubts about that. Keep the pressure up, advocate for this wherever you can - this would be one of the most transformational projects in Philly history if we build this.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I definitely contributed to the overhype but... that was on purpose lol. Look how much engagement there is on this project now on this forum, so many comments and people talking about it everywhere, not just this site. The grassroots hype for this is real, and I still believe the colloquial stars are aligned. This is a big step in the right direction politically. Cut-and-Cover would be ideal for this subway but an elevated line seems more likely and cost effective as Summers said. Either way, if we can get a BSL extension on Roosevelt Blvd, it would be amazing for Philly, and we could easily pass 2M in population again if it happens. NE Philly would explode, I have no doubts about that. Keep the pressure up, advocate for this wherever you can - this would be one of the most transformational projects in Philly history if we build this.
The subway line would be great for the city, NE especially. Whether it would increase the population by a half million, I have my doubts - I don't think you would find that many people who would say "I *would* live in the northeast, but it doesn't have a subway line, so I'll stay in the burbs" or whatever. But who knows.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
The subway line would be great for the city, NE especially. Whether it would increase the population by a half million, I have my doubts - I don't think you would find that many people who would say "I *would* live in the northeast, but it doesn't have a subway line, so I'll stay in the burbs" or whatever. But who knows.
It's more that TOD will develop around the subway and all those strip malls on the boulevard would come down and be replaced by multi-family with ground floor retail, and THEN the neighborhoods would become more desireable and people would want to live there.

On top of that, there's a housing shortage in the region and new housing needs to go somewhere. Why not put it here? If people could commute easily into the city it would just be a natural fit.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
An elevated might be more cost effective in the short term but aren't they more costly in the long term? I mean the structural maintenance is never ending. I really hope they do some sort of cut and cover, or a semi-submerged structure. Further, if it was elevated, there would be like crossing bridges everywhere. I think it would look like a living organism.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 2:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

For me it's pretty simple - there are places where an elevated makes sense, but this wide boulevard perfectly suited for a simple cut and cover (or soft ground bored tunnel) subway is not one of them. There is just a certain basic almost unwritten law that in most heavy rail/metro projects a subway is ideal, and because of the visual intrusion, psychological impact and long term maintenance costs that negate its upfront cost savings, an elevated structure is a compromise - or if not there should be. If Septa doesn't have this almost natural "impulse" to prefer an invisible subway over the alternative of a huge concrete elevated viaduct (read: ugly) running down the center of a parkway style boulevard, something is very wrong.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:26 PM
Volatile Pacivist

In reality, a wide ROW that was specifically designed for an elevated rail line is, not surprisingly, ideal for one. Subways are only ideal for places where surface rail isn't feasible due to lacking a ROW. In other words, a costlier work around for denser urban settings.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
In reality, a wide ROW that was specifically designed for an elevated rail line is, not surprisingly, ideal for one. Subways are only ideal for places where surface rail isn't feasible due to lacking a ROW. In other words, a costlier work around for denser urban settings.
the ROW was not specifically designed for an elevated line; it was also considered for a subway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Subways are only ideal for places where surface rail isn't feasible due to lacking a ROW. In other words, a costlier work around for denser urban settings.
This just isn't true. A lot of it comes down to aesthetic preference of the bodies involved. The City of New York obviously preferred a subterranean Queens Blvd line even though they obviously had a ROW to build a four track elevated line all the way out to what was then the hinterlands of Queens. The entirety of the original IND with the exception of the Gowanus viaduct and the capture of the Culver Line was underground.

Aesthetic concerns are a real issue, its not just all bean counting and whether a ROW can accommodate a "surface" elevated and if there is no other option then a subway is chosen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
the ROW was not specifically designed for an elevated line; it was also considered for a subway.
You're right in that it wasn't necessarily intended as an elevated line but certainly a surface line based on all the sources I've seen. For instance, in the detailed video Alan Fisher, a Philadelphia local, made on the topic he stated that "Back when the boulevard was built in the 1910s it was always envisioned to have some sort of transit line go up the center median of the road, either some sort of trolley system, or newer subway/metro system of some sort."

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:04 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This just isn't true. A lot of it comes down to aesthetic preference of the bodies involved. The City of New York obviously preferred a subterranean Queens Blvd line even though they obviously had a ROW to build a four track elevated line all the way out to what was then the hinterlands of Queens. The entirety of the original IND with the exception of the Gowanus viaduct and the capture of the Culver Line was underground.

Aesthetic concerns are a real issue, its not just all bean counting and whether a ROW can accommodate a "surface" elevated and if there is no other option then a subway is chosen.
Queens Blvd is a much narrower corridor with about 200ft between buildings on either side compared to about 300ft and has no vacant center median. NYC is a terrible example of the virtues of going underground since over half the network is above ground despite it being a much denser city.

I agree that there are other considerations beyond cost, but you're mischaracterizing the situation using terms like "bean counting" which implies fussing over trivial amounts. It would be stuff like trying to save $5 or $10 million on a billion + dollar project by eliminating public art or something. But we're talking about easily doubling or tripling the cost which equates to many hundreds of millions difference. Just the interest on the cost savings with a surface line would be enough to pay for any extra maintenance costs.

Perhaps there are other cases where cities have wasted money putting lines underground inappropriately (in fact that is the case with a recent extension in suburban Toronto). But the existence of other bad decisions does nothing to make future ones better.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 1:48 AM

Did the council talk about it?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 4:05 PM

Has there been any updates on the 30th Street Station interior renovation? According to the schedule the updates to the retail/interior are supposed to begin this Summer - but haven't heard/seen anything recently?

The retail offerings currently are meager at best, haggard at worst, and frankly embarrassing for a station of its stature.

Hopefully this gets going sooner than later...

https://www.gray30thstreetstation.com/project-schedule

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 6:39 PM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 7:14 PM

Build the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/g...levard-subway/

Quote:

- The I-95 collapse serves as a wake-up call for Philadelphia. The incident highlighted the pressing need for alternative transportation options that can alleviate congestion, enhance safety, and promote sustainable urban development. One essential solution: the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway. It’s an idea that could revolutionize transportation in Philadelphia, enhance connections, and stimulate our economy. --- With Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act money, the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway could get 50 percent of the project paid for (provided SEPTA meets their local match). Also, discretionary grants and low-interest loans from the federal government like TIFIA 49 could help pay for the project.

- It would be worth it. Once operational, the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway would alleviate traffic congestion, enhance traffic flow and improve safety on the Boulevard — one of the most heavily trafficked roads in Philadelphia. It would also have significant impacts on I-95. The last time the subway proposal was studied (1999-2003), it was estimated that it would divert about 83,300 daily trips on I-95 from automobiles to transit. A large parking deck could be built at the proposed Woodhaven station, directly connecting to I-95 giving people ease of access to Northeast Philadelphia and parts south. --- The project proposal entails creating a cut-and-cover subway within the 80-foot median of the Boulevard. It also proposes establishing stations designed for optimal construction efficiency and facilitating train operations at intervals of 5-6 minutes during peak hours.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 2:56 PM

SEPTA Evaluates Stations for TOD Projects
Behind Paywall: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...al-estate.html
"Parking lots adjacent to SEPTA train stations could make way for mixed-use development sites as the transit agency evaluates its real estate holdings and looks to maximize their value while also upping ridership.

The idea builds on a trend the regional transit organization identified in 2021, namely the promotion of transit-supportive communities as a priority, said SEPTA's Director of Strategic Planning and Analysis Ryan Judge.

Doing so might not only increase flagging ridership, but lower rider's carbon footprint and increase home values near stations, officials say.

As post-pandemic trends have settled in and as staffing allowed, SEPTA has made progress in researching and analyzing its properties to see which may best lend themselves to future development.
"

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 3:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

Anybody see that RB pedestrian fatality/bad design spot on CBS Sunday Morning?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 3:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
SEPTA Evaluates Stations for TOD Projects
Behind Paywall: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...al-estate.html
"Parking lots adjacent to SEPTA train stations could make way for mixed-use development sites as the transit agency evaluates its real estate holdings and looks to maximize their value while also upping ridership.

The idea builds on a trend the regional transit organization identified in 2021, namely the promotion of transit-supportive communities as a priority, said SEPTA's Director of Strategic Planning and Analysis Ryan Judge.

Doing so might not only increase flagging ridership, but lower rider's carbon footprint and increase home values near stations, officials say.

As post-pandemic trends have settled in and as staffing allowed, SEPTA has made progress in researching and analyzing its properties to see which may best lend themselves to future development.
"

This is good but another example of the kind of "wait, you mean they weren't already doing that?" kind of brain bleed that is all too common with US transit agencies.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:32 PM

Then there's this from today that makes it sound like Conshy's just getting a new surface lot. That seems like the ideal place to start a major TOD project.
https://whyy.org/articles/pa-septa-p...gomery-county/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 11:12 PM

My 1,000th SkyscraperPage post!

American’s Philadelphia Hub Could Benefit as Airline Unwinds JetBlue Alliance

https://airlineweekly.com/2023/07/am...blue-alliance/

Article about American Airlines' failed joint deal with JetBlue to expand Americans' presence at JFK. It also talks about Americans' new plans for Philly Airport, how they plan on expanding its selection of destinations over the next few years, and their 2026 plans.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 7:11 PM

An update on Conshohocken station development plans. Not sure what happened since the last couple weeks when the borough said they wouldn't even listen to TOD proposals, but this sounds more hopeful.

https://billypenn.com/2023/07/26/sep...ge-boondoggle/

Norristown is another one that a large TOD project would make sense. So much missed potential there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation