HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 2:40 AM
I like this much better

this might be mine come friday.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:31 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I thought St. Louis had a good narrative - we are fucking scrapping here... I get the south but I don't get the south - because I get the south. I feel like Obama just said fuck you to the midwest, and in particular to the union manufacturing core. Good luck with the unhinged new south.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:33 AM
I like this much better

the midwest is a dead region, after all. no reason the manufacturing can't move elsewhere

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
the midwest is a dead region, after all.
Don't get me wrong, I know what you are feeling, but it isn't really true . I mean this as well in a cultural sense the same way you do, because we all know there are millions of souls here, there is a lot of infrastructure and social construction still in place. I don't need to go through the embarrassment of adding up the number of leathery democratic leaning souls that are going to vote republican next election that never have in their entire lives that's going to blindside the party...my God, that's what I'm talking about. Denver isn't that far removed from suburban Kansas City West, either, beyond the urban core you know. I know the Denver roughneck, I work in the oil industry a great deal.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:49 AM
I am a typical

Guys, this isn't the place for intelligent discussion of actual things. Take that shit to the Southwest coffee talk.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:49 AM
Always A Classic

Quote:

Black Jeep - Cleveland Brown approved

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:51 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know what you are feeling, but it isn't really true . I mean this as well in a cultural sense the same way you do, because we all know there are millions of souls here, there is a lot of infrastructure and social construction still in place. I don't need to go through the embarrassment of adding up the number of leathery democratic leaning souls that are going to vote republican next election that never have in their entire lives that's going to blindside the party...my God, that's what I'm talking about. Denver isn't that far removed from suburban Kansas City West, either, beyond the urban core you know. I know the Denver roughneck, I work in the oil industry a great deal.
Eh. I dunno, if the Republicans keep hurting EVERYONE, I don't see how they'll continue to get votes. People can't be THAT stupid. And yeah, there is a lot of population, and infrastructure, but, the region, particularly towards the great lakes (excepting Chicago) suffers from quality-of-life competition. They're just bleeding people. I mean, how much attention should be given to things that can't so easily be fixed? Why not try and build up businesses and manufacturing and whatnot in places where people have been drawn to for years now. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:52 AM
Always A Classic

WINTER STORM - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

My office is closed tomorrow - bunch of pussies!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:57 AM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Guys, this isn't the place for intelligent discussion of actual things. Take that shit to the Southwest coffee talk.
Hall monitor vid has spoken.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Why not try and build up businesses and manufacturing and whatnot in places where people have been drawn to for years now. Wouldn't that make more sense?
I guess the way I see it is that it's just going to be kicking the can down the road. With the exception of the already established, respectably urban coastal powers, the inland regions will always begin decline after a peak unless they can bring something exceptional to the table like location, urbanity, sense of place, institutions, etc. Denver and Chicago are some of the exceptions, I can't see the same for a lot of these other inland southern/sw cities that are so popular right now. I guess what i'm saying is that the power of the metropolitan trajectory doesn't pick favorites, and it's not like old places like St. Louis haven't already been tested and survived, you discount the power of place that' strong enough that many of it's natives that stay (or come back like me) and allow it to grow just enough so it's growing.

I have a what I perceive as a european-like sense of city and region and it's an uphill battle in this vast, scatterbrained, cheap country.

Last edited by Centropolis; Feb 2, 2011 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
WINTER STORM - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

My office is closed tomorrow - bunch of pussies!
Mine too. I could still make it in and battle the nasty whether, but any reason to stay home is fine by me.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:30 AM
Bah!

I'm not going in tomorrow because a lot of my job involves shipping and receiving......I'm guessing there's not going to be a lot of that going on, plus just crossing one any of our Mississippi River bridges in this weather is treacherous.

Quote:
the midwest is a dead region, after all. no reason the manufacturing can't move elsewhere
Good God....

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:39 AM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:40 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyi View Post
Good God....
what?

kasdfkjasdfiajsdf 10chars

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:48 AM

Quote:

How much?

10characters

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:54 AM

When it comes to nightlife, I'd rather be in midtown detroit or hamtramck than the furthest dive in denver city. Is that better for my health, probably not, but a hell of a lot more interesting. i've pretty much given up on denver nightlife, unless you can recommend some new spots, strange. the "hip" spots to me seem like bland versions of bland gentrification class tea candle neighborhood bars in chicago, with exception of the upsidedown unnecessarily drunk dives in denver, that are too drunk for anyone to have a deep conversation in. (i guess that's all anyone can hope for in any city, to be fair, with great exception that is my aim that actually can be found in the strifed old centers and great metropoles).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:08 AM
I like this much better

asking $5500. 4" lift, only 122k miles, which ain't bad for a '96. 33" tires. Pretty much exactly what i'm lookin for.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:27 AM

^ Not bad at all.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:28 AM
I like this much better

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:29 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
When it comes to nightlife, I'd rather be in midtown detroit or hamtramck than the furthest dive in denver city. Is that better for my health, probably not, but a hell of a lot more interesting. i've pretty much given up on denver nightlife, unless you can recommend some new spots, strange. the "hip" spots to me seem like bland versions of bland gentrification class tea candle neighborhood bars in chicago, with exception of the upsidedown unnecessarily drunk dives in denver, that are too drunk for anyone to have a deep conversation in. (i guess that's all anyone can hope for in any city, to be fair, with great exception that is my aim that actually can be found in the strifed old centers and great metropoles).
Huh?

Where have you been? What are you familiar with?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest