HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Did I hear correctly on tonight’s Global News at 6 that the removal of the carousel enables a $17 million renovation of the food court to proceed? $17 million?!?!? Is this number in line with other mall food court renovations completed recently?
Would have to look into the cost of completely building a new food court out at cross iron and compare I guess.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:28 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Did I hear correctly on tonight’s Global News at 6 that the removal of the carousel enables a $17 million renovation of the food court to proceed? $17 million?!?!? Is this number in line with other mall food court renovations completed recently?
If they are going to make changes to the floor, I can see how that could cost $17M.

There are all kinds of different levels and stairs and ramps galore in that food court. in several places it's open to below. That kind of work gets expensive really fast.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 8:11 PM

I didn't even know they had a location in Calgary! I love their Halifax location, a really cool spot!

Rent hike has Freak Lunchbox saying bittersweet goodbye to Calgary
'It just doesn't make sense anymore to be in Calgary,' says co-owner of Atlantic Canada-based company

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...sing-1.4476446

This is the same we see here in Vancouver too, small business (or even medium sized in Vancouver!) closing due to these higher costs. I really wonder how much landlords make and if they are really cashing in, or if their rents are just keeping them afloat too. I'm inclined to believe their profits are really good compared to the business they raise rents on

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:01 PM

Cadillac Fairview Partners with Landmark Cinemas: Announces Premium CF Market Mall Theatre
January 29, 2018

By Mario Toneguzzi

Calgary-based Landmark Cinemas plans to open a premium movie theatre at CF Market Mall in Calgary by the Spring of 2019.

The new five-screen theatre, in the southwest corner of the shopping centre in the space formerly occupied by Staples, will be outfitted in luxury recliner power seating in 25,000 square feet of space.

Market Mall, which opened in 1971 and has about 200 stores and 900,000 square feet of retail space, is co-owned by Cadillac Fairview and Ivanhoé Cambridge.

Darren Milne, Market Mall’s general manager, said the shopping centre’s customers are eager to have a theatre there.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ndmark-cinemas

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:10 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Interesting, Market Mall had theaters from 1977 to 2002

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:15 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Too funny, I didn't realized that they had closed

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
And so did Northland Village Shoppes a couple miles north.

Seen a pile of movies in those 2 theaters back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I wonder if the new theater is going to be attached to Market... or stand alone?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 1:15 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post

I wonder if the new theater is going to be attached to Market... or stand alone?
If it supposed to go where Staples was, then it'll most likely be a stand alone building.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:15 AM
Near Generational

Not really retail, but Top Golf is coming to Calgary in the very near future. Not sure where exactly but my money is on Trinity Hills or Deerfoot Mall

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post

Brentwood Mall even had a theatre.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:42 AM

opens thursday eh?

Inside Calgary's Saks Fifth Avenue

Western Canada's first Saks Fifth Avenue location opens at CF Chinook Centre on February 22.
BY ALANA WILLERTON

PHOTOGRAPH BY ALANA WILLERTON

The entire top floor of Saks Calgary is dedicated to women's apparel. In the contemporary department, shoppers will find more casual, everyday wear and denim from brands like Rag & Bone, Alice & Olivia, Smythe, Joie, Nanette Lepore and Saks' own in-house brand Scripted. There's also outerwear from notable Canadian brands like Canada Goose and Moose Knuckles.

The dress department features women's formal wear in a range of styles and colours. Directly beside this department is a fur salon with luxurious fur jackets and vests from brands like Carolina Herrera and Givenchy.

The stylish seating area leading into one of Saks Calgary's three styling suites.

Downstairs in the jewellery department, guests can shop from brands like Hearts on Fire, Alexis Bittar, Lele Sadoughi, Kenneth Jay Lane, Pomellato and more.

The expansive men's department on the lower level features shoes, athleisure wear, denim, formal wear and more. Eventually, made to measure custom suit services will be offered down here as well. Saturdays are a particularly good day to visit the men's department, as there will be a bar set up here each week.

1OO22-SHOE is the women's shoe department at Saks Calgary. The department's zip code name is meant to signal that this area is a destination within the store. Shoppers will find everything from sandals to boots from Manolo Blahnik, Alexander Wang, Jimmy Choo, Kate Spade, Stella McCartney, Vince and more. The clear and yellow glasswork that hangs above the shoe department was inspired by the glasswork display in the shoe department at the Saks Fifth Avenue location in New York. Artists in the Czech Republic made the glass installation that's in the Calgary store.

The handbag department is surrounded by small individual handbag shops dedicated to specific brands like Loewe, Givenchy and Valentino.

The beauty department features luxury fragrances, cosmetics and skincare products. Look for products from notable brands like EB Florals, Hermes, Chanel, La Mer, La Prairie and soon, Giorgio Armani. Those who want to experience these products first hand can book a facial in the adjacent spa treatment room. Walk-ins are welcome, but it's recommended that you make an appointment in advance.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/Shoppin...-Fifth-Avenue/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:01 AM

Louis Vuitton is opening a store at chinook centre

Quote:
LOUIS VUITTON, WHICH IS EXPANDING ITS PRESENCE IN CANADA IN CITIES SUCH AS VANCOUVER, EDMONTON AND TORONTO, WILL OPEN A 4,700 SQUARE FOOT STORE ACROSS FROM SAKS IN THE MALL LATER THIS YEAR
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-retail-canada

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 10:27 PM

Calgary's Innovative New Horizon Mall Prepares for Opening
May 06, 2018

full article: https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...w-horizon-mall

some pics from article

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Cool

Okay, in the same idea, I would like to know if anybody knows if there will be a Mobilia store in Calgary?

I went there next week-end in Toronto and they were talkink about going to the west of the Canada : www.mobilia.ca

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:29 PM

You’ve mastered time travel? Incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refindex View Post
Okay, in the same idea, I would like to know if anybody knows if there will be a Mobilia store in Calgary?

I went there next week-end in Toronto and they were talkink about going to the west of the Canada : www.mobilia.ca

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:29 PM

Unrelated to the previous posts, but it looks like the Northland Redevelopment finally broke ground a little while back. does anybody know what is going in where the former Cheesecake Cafe sat?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:03 PM

I’m surprised that they are still going ahead with it, despite the loss of Whole Foods as a tenant, unless a replacement has been found but just not publicly announced.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:16 AM

Massive Mixed-Use Retail Development Proposed for Suburban Calgary

July 09, 2018

Video Link

Quote:
A massive master-planned, multi-use project, just outside of Calgary city limits in Rocky View County, is being proposed by Genesis Land Development which would add about one million square feet of showcase retail and outlet centre space to the market.

Officials from Genesis could not be reached for comment but the development’s website says The Omni project being proposed would include 600,000 square feet of showcase retail space; 325,000 square feet of outlet centre space; 60,000 square feet of restaurants and cafes; a 27,000-square-foot children’s creativity zone; 250 senior active living units; 500,000 square feet of office campus space; and 4,000 parking stalls.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...mni-by-genesis

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:33 PM

MEC is (finally!) opening a second location in Seton. Grand opening is 9/8, but apparently they are soft launching this Saturday, 9/1.

https://www.mec.ca/en/stores/calgary-south

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:08 PM
That's what she said

Another suburban retail gong show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Massive Mixed-Use Retail Development Proposed for Suburban Calgary

July 09, 2018

Video Link

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...mni-by-genesis

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy