HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:31 AM

If you ask me, forget everything else they are asking for, just give us the bloody parking garage. At the rate Dumont is building new stuff over their current lots pretty soon there won't be any spots left for anyone. The only time I didn't have a problem parking recently was around 3Am when my father was brought in. I can't imagine how people would feel having to rush to see a loved one brought in by ambulance during the day and have to park a 15 minutes walk away.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I noticed the old Plan B has new signs on the building that say something like "Caissi's Bar & Lounge". Didn't get a chance to take a pic.
It's not even worthy of taking a pic. Looks like something hand painted on plywood. It has the same appeal as the Lindt sign controversy. Painted the same colour scheme as the building.

I just hope the Bar & Lounge doesn't become a St George dump that police needs to be present day & night. Why do I say that? Because of the current difficulties local store owners on St George are having with the... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...eger-1.5349988

I'll do hope for the best!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
It's not even worthy of taking a pic. Looks like something hand painted on plywood. It has the same appeal as the Lindt sign controversy. Painted the same colour scheme as the building.
I did it anyway . I assumed they would finish the siding before putting up a new sign, but what do I know?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
If I didn't know better I would bet you 20$ that this was a crappy photoshop.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 4:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Kanpai Izakaya has reopened in their new location at 184 Alma Street.

https://www.kanpaiizakaya.ca

Video Link

Old video, still referring to their former location on Robinson Court, but gives a good idea about the atmosphere of the place.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 7:13 PM

I hadn't gone by the construction site on Victoria Street for a while, so driving past this morning I see they have the 3rd floor done. Also, they were working there today. It's really coming along nicely.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I hadn't gone by the construction site on Victoria Street for a while, so driving past this morning I see they have the 3rd floor done. Also, they were working there today. It's really coming along nicely.
I live near there and watch the building action. Basically everything is prefab from Atlas in Dieppe. Amico can completely frame one storey - the outside and inside in a week including the interior. I don't know how much they will do this Christmas week. But the fourth floor and roof I expect will be up in less than two weeks if the weather cooperates.

For the rental prices published ($1,400-$2,500/mo) I would have expected this building would be on a par with the one at Vaughn Harvey and Main or at 55 Queen but it is completely wood, like the one at the corner of Weldon and St. George. And basically there is no view unless you are on the 3-4 floor.

Oh well, we shall see how it goes!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
I live near there and watch the building action. Basically everything is prefab from Atlas in Dieppe. Amico can completely frame one storey - the outside and inside in a week including the interior. I don't know how much they will do this Christmas week. But the fourth floor and roof I expect will be up in less than two weeks if the weather cooperates.

For the rental prices published ($1,400-$2,500/mo) I would have expected this building would be on a par with the one at Vaughn Harvey and Main or at 55 Queen but it is completely wood, like the one at the corner of Weldon and St. George. And basically there is no view unless you are on the 3-4 floor.

Oh well, we shall see how it goes!
They'll have to have some pretty nice interior finishes to command that kind of rent. The location is great though, if you want to live downtown.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 9:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

170 Victoria Street - current status:

One more storey to go.

I know this is a small project, but infill like this is very important in defining the character of the downtown. This is a quality construction project.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

170 Victoria Street - current status:

One more storey to go.

I know this is a small project, but infill like this is very important in defining the character of the downtown. This is a quality construction project.
My thought was that for a posted rent of $1,400-$2,500 per month, there is no view unless you are the 4th floor, there are not enough indoor parking spaces for all 32 apartments, it is completely wood frame construction (not a steel and concrete building). I assume you are paying for the location and probably high end indoor apartment finishes. I humbly disagree that this is a quality construction project (except for the infill as you mentioned). I've watched this project every day since this project began and it is simply a wooden building built on a prefab basis.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 12:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
My thought was that for a posted rent of $1,400-$2,500 per month, there is no view unless you are the 4th floor, there are not enough indoor parking spaces for all 32 apartments, it is completely wood frame construction (not a steel and concrete building). I assume you are paying for the location and probably high end indoor apartment finishes. I humbly disagree that this is a quality construction project (except for the infill as you mentioned). I've watched this project every day since this project began and it is simply a wooden building built on a prefab basis.
My post wasn't really meant as a commentary on your opinion (although I could see how it could be misinterpreted as such).

I do agree that the stated rent for these units does seem high. As jonny golden said, the interior fit and finish had better be top rate.

The fact that this building is all wood modular construction doesn't mean that it is not a quality build. Wood construction techniques have taken giant leaps in the last 15-20 years or so. As for the parking, since this is a downtown building, I imagine the presumption is that not all tenants will in fact own vehicles. In other cities, it is not uncommon to have fewer parking spaces available than units in the building.

We will see if the downtown rental market can justify these inflated rents or not. There are other buildings coming on the market (especially Tannery Place) which have competitive rents. If the developer has difficulty getting tenants lined up, there will be some downward pressure I'm sure.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
My post wasn't really meant as a commentary on your opinion (although I could see how it could be misinterpreted as such).

I do agree that the stated rent for these units does seem high. As jonny golden said, the interior fit and finish had better be top rate.

The fact that this building is all wood modular construction doesn't mean that it is not a quality build. Wood construction techniques have taken giant leaps in the last 15-20 years or so. As for the parking, since this is a downtown building, I imagine the presumption is that not all tenants will in fact own vehicles. In other cities, it is not uncommon to have fewer parking spaces available than units in the building.

We will see if the downtown rental market can justify these inflated rents or not. There are other buildings coming on the market (especially Tannery Place) which have competitive rents. If the developer has difficulty getting tenants lined up, there will be some downward pressure I'm sure.
If I'm not mistaken, it's the same building system they're using at the Hilton Garden Inn on Highfield. Only cement is the foundation with all wood modular construction above.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's the same building system they're using at the Hilton Garden Inn on Highfield. Only cement is the foundation with all wood modular construction above.
You are correct. It is the same system indeed as opposed to the Hyatt on Main Street which is concrete and steel.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 4:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There have been significant interior renovations ongoing in the old Creaghan's Building (795 Main, former Dooley's) for at least the last 4 months or so. Work is ongoing.

I came across a post online about a week ago indicating that some of the renovations were for "classroom space", and I became aware of a rumour today that the intended tenant may be NBCC. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

If NBCC were planning a downtown campus, I wonder which programs they are considering moving? A logical assumption would be their business program, but I believe that the recent expansion to their building on Mountain Road was for their business faculty, and it would make little sense to me for them to relocate again so quickly downtown.

Does anyone have any further info regarding this project?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
There have been significant interior renovations ongoing in the old Creaghan's Building (795 Main, former Dooley's) for at least the last 4 months or so. Work is ongoing.

I came across a post online about a week ago indicating that some of the renovations were for "classroom space", and I became aware of a rumour today that the intended tenant may be NBCC. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

If NBCC were planning a downtown campus, I wonder which programs they are considering moving? A logical assumption would be their business program, but I believe that the recent expansion to their building on Mountain Road was for their business faculty, and it would make little sense to me for them to relocate again so quickly downtown.

Does anyone have any further info regarding this project?
I was told by the developers it was for NBCC, but I have no clue which programs they would be moving over.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks. An NBCC campus would be good for the downtown economy. There is a UNBSJ campus in uptown Saint John.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks. An NBCC campus would be good for the downtown economy. There is a UNBSJ campus in uptown Saint John.
When the information comes out, it will be interesting to see how many students there will be attending classes downtown. Also, will summer courses be offered at this location. I agree that it will be good for the downtown.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

More good news for the downtown.

St. Bernard's Rectory (which had been listed with Colliers), has been officially sold! I can definitely see this being used for a restaurant, pub or small inn. Personally, I think this would be a great location for Baton Rouge (if they were ever to find a local franchisee, they've been looking for more than a year).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:04 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
There is a UNBSJ campus in uptown Saint John.
There isn't, really. UNBSJ's business studies has a building in Uptown but the campus is in Millidgeville. It's been discussed for a while, and something that I agree with, that moving more UNBSJ programs and admin to Uptown would be a good thing for both the city and the school. Moncton would be no different with NBCC.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 9:01 PM

https://huddle.today/cassi-lounge-wi...od-to-moncton/

Opening this weekend.
Wish them the very best.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces