HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
I like how they cut up the facade to resemble a series of smaller buildings that mimics the way infill happens on a main street.
I agree, that will make it look much nicer. What also impressed me when I drove by on Saturday is that the width of the building pretty much fills out the whole lot. When finished, this project will really enhance the area. A big improvement over the old V Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A new art gallery has opened at 341 Mountain Road - The Acorn Studio

https://www.facebook.com/theacornstu...location=group
https://theacornstudio.com/the-studio.html

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 12:36 PM

I noticed the old Plan B has new signs on the building that say something like "Caissi's Bar & Lounge". Didn't get a chance to take a pic.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote from Kevin Silliker

Being someone who has an interest in economic development, this type of statement by Kevin Silliker, Economic Development Director drives me up the wall with anticipation.

"As for a larger outlook, Silliker said "2020 look to be quite impressive as well," based on nascent projects being contemplated for the city. There are some projects that have come in that are very intriguing." - Times & Transcript

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed. In the article, it was noted that the city has shattered it's previous building permit record with more than a quarter billion dollars issued so far this year, with one month to go!

Silliker commented he expected next year to be similar to this year in terms of building permit value. I too am intrigued by his intrigue.

Hopefully there will be several large development announced that will keep us gossiping for the next 12 months........

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Hilton Garden Inn - current status:

I really like how this building will provide for a continuous facade along this side of the block, and that it's height will be identical to the Dominion Public Building.
Here's a before picture for comparison:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:59 PM

170 Victoria Street Project

Just a quick note. The second floor is going up beginning today, Dec 11/19. I'm hoping that all four floors get closed in prior to the depths of winter.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, they fleshed out the provinces budget a bit more today.

There is a line item in there regarding $40M for a new coronary care centre at the Moncton Hospital.

This had been previously announced by the Gallant government, but delayed by the Higgs government. There was concern that "delayed" actually meant "cancelled". I guess Higgs had second thoughts.

The timeline is still uncertain. The new Maternal/Newborn Wing at the hospital will break ground next spring (it really will - I promise). The earliest that ground could break for the new Cardiac Wing (in behind the Sheldon Rubin Oncology Clinic) would likely be in the spring of 2021.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:51 PM

The Hilton Garden Inn project does fit well, much better than the Hyatt Place...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:33 AM

I'm hearing that NW Corner of Main/Vaughn Harvey is being developed this spring, the person just knows that it's somewhat large and mentioned something of a hotel but that was just said in passing so I'm not sure he knows the details just that something is going there starting this spring.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I'm hearing that NW Corner of Main/Vaughn Harvey is being developed this spring, the person just knows that it's somewhat large and mentioned something of a hotel but that was just said in passing so I'm not sure he knows the details just that something is going there starting this spring.
I can't see it being a hotel to be honest. They might have been referring to the proposed Home2 Suites by Hilton. That's planned for the Junction Urban Village on Vaughan Harvey. Let's hope that whatever does get developed on this prime corner is large!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I can't see it being a hotel to be honest. They might have been referring to the proposed Home2 Suites by Hilton. That's planned for the Junction Urban Village on Vaughan Harvey. Let's hope that whatever does get developed on this prime corner is large!
You may be right that there could be some confusion on the part of the source.

The only project confirmed to start in that area next year is Tannery Place North. The Home 2 Suites is the next project following in the Junction Urban Village after that, but won't start before 2021 (possibly even later).

I went on the SNB website, and there no sales records for the land on the NW corner of Main & Vaughan Harvey. This doesn't absolutely mean there are no development plans for this property, only that the land has not yet been secured for development.

I will keep a jaundiced eye regarding this rumour, but Kevin Silliker did say recently that there were major projects in the pipeline that will be announced next year. We will just all have to wait with baited breath.........

I think we can all agree that whatever finally does get built on this corner must be high profile. This is just about the most major intersection in the downtown area. If it ended up being a Tim Horton's or a Burger King, I think we would all be greatly disappointed........

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You may be right that there could be some confusion on the part of the source.

The only project confirmed to start in that area next year is Tannery Place North. The Home 2 Suites is the next project following in the Junction Urban Village after that, but won't start before 2021 (possibly even later).

I went on the SNB website, and there no sales records for the land on the NW corner of Main & Vaughan Harvey. This doesn't absolutely mean there are no development plans for this property, only that the land has not yet been secured for development.

I will keep a jaundiced eye regarding this rumour, but Kevin Silliker did say recently that there were major projects in the pipeline that will be announced next year. We will just all have to wait with baited breath.........

I think we can all agree that whatever finally does get built on this corner must be high profile. This is just about the most major intersection in the downtown area. If it ended up being a Tim Horton's or a Burger King, I think we would all be greatly disappointed........
The reason I can't see a hotel being built on this corner is because of the 2 hotels within walking distance currently under construction. We have the Crown Plaza already and the proposed hotel in the Junction development. Not to mention the new Canvas hotel recently opened. I just don't think the plans would be for another hotel on this corner.
And it would be a big let down if they constructed a one story building on this property. Personally what I'd like to see is residential with ground floor commercial. With a waiting list for the Tannery Place apartments, I have no doubt that residential on this corner would sell out quickly.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 11:22 AM

The Hilton on Highfield guys must have gotten annoyed at pictures because there are now signs around the fence stating you can't take pictures without the managers permission.

Am I wrong in saying 'pffffft'? I don't see how they think they can stop people from taking picture of the site unless they are trying to get over the fence into the site to do so.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
The Hilton on Highfield guys must have gotten annoyed at pictures because there are now signs around the fence stating you can't take pictures without the managers permission.

Am I wrong in saying 'pffffft'? I don't see how they think they can stop people from taking picture of the site unless they are trying to get over the fence into the site to do so.
Lol they can’t. Your expectation to privacy drops significantly as soon as you walk out of your home, so this is a construction site where no-one lives....so you can take as many pictures as you like from the street/sidewalk.

Unless this was because some people entered the property to take pictures, then its a whole different story. It then becomes a safety/liability/trespassing issue.

Maybe the sign should of been more specific.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:32 PM

The supreme court has ruled on this question. You can take photos in public all you want, except for pics of people who have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
A good example, I can shoot photos of your house all day long; but I can't take photos of people in your house.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I suspect the signage is directed more towards the gentlemen and ladies of the press. If a CTV News van rolled up to the front of the construction site, and they mounted a camera on a tripod at the front gate and they started rolling, I'm sure that the construction foreman would come out to see what's going on.

As for me taking a snapshot from the sidewalk across the street, I agree with everyone else that there isn't a damned thing the construction contractors can do about it.

The grey area might be if I posted the photo on social media, and it was unflattering or controversial, the building contractors or the owners might contact the administrators to get the photo removed. The chances of this happening though are likely remote, and if you were not trespassing at the time you took your photo, and if you were not being overtly malicious, I doubt they would have a legal leg to stand on.

I imagine any photos we take and post on SSP are of no concern to them........

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:57 PM

Maybe I'll take a photo of the sign and a photo of the building, and post them on a web site, like here! If the site manager comes running out, I'll just tell him that I'm alerting others not to take photos of this building and here's the warning sign.

1000 people behind me looking to do the same in the next 12 months.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 12:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton explores creating housing authority for affordable homes
New non-profit created to buy, renovate derelict old homes
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Dec 17, 2019 7:04 AM AT | Last Updated: an hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...able-1.5398572

If the intent of this possible "housing authority" is to deal with the homelessness crisis by renovating boarded up buildings in the downtown area to create affordable housing, I could be on board with it. These downtown properties are boarded up to keep the homeless out (fire hazard), which is understandable, but creates a visual blight. To renovate these properties instead to create low income housing would kill two birds with one stone - removing the visual blight, and providing the homeless with shelter and a permanent address.

win-win.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

$400M Dumont hospital expansion plan includes 600-space parking garage
Plan calls for spending $30 million on 'immediate needs' by 2022, including parking
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Dec 17, 2019 12:23 PM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...king-1.5398899

Quote:
Vitalité Health Network hopes to build a 600-space parking garage beside the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre over the next three years, part of a $400 million expansion plan.

The health network's board approved a multi-phased, 18-year capital plan for the hospital in Moncton at a meeting earlier this month.

The health authority will submit the plans to the provincial Health Department to seek funding.
Quote:
Vitalité's plan calls for spending $30 million between 2020 and 2022 on "immediate needs," which include the parking garage, a shipping and receiving space, and pharmacy upgrades.

Other upgrades include:

Phase 1 in 2020–2027: A three-storey expansion for the emergency department, ambulatory services and outpatient clinics between the new surgical suite and Université Avenue.

Phase 2 in 2022–2033: Construction of two floors above the new surgical suite for upgraded mental and physical health care units.

Phase 3 in 2029–2038: Construction of a new pavilion for oncology patients, the expansion of the Mgr. Henri-Cormier Lodge and renovation of laboratories.

Given the nearly 20 year time frame involved, a $400M plan for expansion of the CHU Dumont is probably not unreasonable, but I find it amusing they would announce their plan first, and then state that they plan to meet government to seek funding.

This is a strategy designed to dare the government to oppose their plans. They are putting the government on the spot here. I can guarantee you this is not the way Horizon operates. With Horizon, negotiations are usually in camera, and an announcement regarding a project is generally not made public until government funding is reasonably assured. It is a much more collaborative appoach.

The other interesting thing is that they plan a 600 space parking structure. This is a great idea, but the province has actively opposed a parking structure at the Moncton Hospital for over 20 years, with part of the reasoning being "if we give you a parking garage, then we will have to give the Dumont a parking garage too!!"

If the Dumont is to get a parking structure, does this mean that suddenly the Moncton Hospital will get a parking garage too???? A garage at the Moncton Hospital is certainly sorely needed, both for staff and visitors. The waiting list for staff parking at the Moncton Hospital is currently about 12-14 years long. In other words, your working career will be about 40% over before you can get a parking space at the Moncton Hospital.

It will be very interesting to see how the Higgs government deals with the request for a parking garage...........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces