HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:52 PM

One thing for sure, there is a diversity of architectural "style" in downtown Moncton

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The best thing they could do for Assumption Place (aside from demolition), would be to allow a couple of architecturally interesting 12-15 storey buildings immediately adjacent, in order to downplay it's concrete phallic brutalism..........
It can't even really claim the concrete phallic title properly, not with the Bell tower a few blocks away.

But yeah a few similarly sized buildings around it would certainly balance out the skyline (and make a more impressive skyline in general)

Hopefully once Moncton repairs its downtown grid by handling the space below main street, they'll start building up higher as well and developing a proper city canyon space.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Apartment progress at corner of St-George st & Weldon. 2 more floors to go.

This Building is actually going to 5 floors, so 3 more floors to go, plus the high roof, which is basically another floor

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:37 PM

I noticed this morning that they are continuing to work on the old Business Development Bank building in Assomption plaza. I'm assuming this is Ashford Group doing the work. I had the thought that maybe they might move their own head office there, but there is a "For Lease" sign on the side of the building, so maybe not.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:35 PM

Drove by the Albert st. tent city site at lunch today and noticed the land has been cleared, all trees have been removed. I wonder when construction on the police station is set to begin?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:42 PM

St George & Weldon st retail/apartment render posted on site.

Interesting garage looking door from Weldon st. Not sure what this is for. Seems kind small for vehicle parking inside that small area.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Perhaps not exactly to scale???

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:18 AM

Canvas Moncton, A Tapestry Collection Hotel by Hilton (the hotel portion of FiveFive) has been added to the Hilton booking site. It is currently accepting reservations for November 30 onwards.

https://tapestrycollection3.hilton.c...anvas-moncton/

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Canvas Moncton, A Tapestry Collection Hotel by Hilton (the hotel portion of FiveFive) has been added to the Hilton booking site. It is currently accepting reservations for November 30 onwards.

https://tapestrycollection3.hilton.c...anvas-moncton/
Thanks. I've noticed job listings for Tapestry on the internet.

We actually have a separate thread for FiveFive Queen on SSP Atlantic. I'll repost your info over there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hilton Garden Inn - current status:

Photo from Retail Talk & Share

The upper floors are all modular wood construction, and installation is happening very quickly because there are two cranes on site. I predict that the superstructure will be complete by the time snow flies........

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 3:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page, showing the reconstructed path along the edge of the pond in Centennial Park.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Hilton Garden Inn - current status:

Photo from Retail Talk & Share

The upper floors are all modular wood construction, and installation is happening very quickly because there are two cranes on site. I predict that the superstructure will be complete by the time snow flies........

I drove by this a couple of weeks ago while i was home for a visit and i was pretty disappointed and underwhelmed. I feel it was a missed opportunity for something more prominent and architecturally diverse. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
I drove by this a couple of weeks ago while i was home for a visit and i was pretty disappointed and underwhelmed. I feel it was a missed opportunity for something more prominent and architecturally diverse. Just my two cents.
I mean its a Hilton Garden Inn on a side street downtown. I never really expected anything mind blowing with this one.

More of a nice infill project to continue the modernization, growth and foot traffic in that end of main st.

Add in a convention centre in this end of town and this will eventually be a nice little "entertainment district".

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree. I view this as infill too. The Hilton Garden Inn will complete the west side of this block of Highfield Street.

The killer app (so to speak) for the west end of the downtown core would be a convention centre (as you mentioned). The combination of a downtown convention centre and the Avenir Centre would cause an explosion in additional hotel construction, more restaurants and new storefront retail, which would all in turn lead to increased densification and new condo and apartment construction in the neighbourhood. People would want to live in the area.

I don't know what the Aquillini's have in mind for the Crowne Plaza block, but let's all hope that it includes a proposal for a convention centre........

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Even so it's a big upgrade on what was there before. The V Hotel was definitely underwhelming. Yes it could have been something more prominent, but at least it's a new building replacing something that was pretty shabby.

https://huddle.today/building-permit...113-3-million/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I mean its a Hilton Garden Inn on a side street downtown. I never really expected anything mind blowing with this one.

More of a nice infill project to continue the modernization, growth and foot traffic in that end of main st.

Add in a convention centre in this end of town and this will eventually be a nice little "entertainment district".
It sounds like you are all ok with just “a nice infill project”! Its a downtown property a few steps away from the Avenir Centre. I just think this project along with the Craig property across the street from the Arena could have been a little more grandiose. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It sounds like you are all ok with just “a nice infill project”! Its a downtown property a few steps away from the Avenir Centre. I just think this project along with the Craig property across the street from the Arena could have been a little more grandiose. Just my opinion.
Understood, and we need new signature projects in the core too. I envisage the big signature projects yet to come to be the Aquillini Block and the west side of Downing Street. These signature projects will define the core.

At the same time however, infill is also needed, and in the grand scheme of things, will do more to clean up the core than the big projects will. The main objective is to create a walkable and safe downtown, free of vagrants and panhandlers, and with all the vacant lots and derelict rooming houses replaced with attractive buildings (either infill or signature).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 7:15 PM

Absolutely I'd like to see some more unique architecture in the downtown core and hopefully the project at the corner of west main will be that type of project.

I'd like to see some smaller projects with some architectural creativity like some of the recent examples that we've seen over on the PEI thread. Some of the side streets DT could really be upgraded with these type of smaller condo/office developments. The end of town where Avenir is often feels a little bleak with foot traffic when there is not an event there. I'd like to see a couple more restaurants added as well.

Hilton Garden Inn's just aren't where I would have any expectation for architectural brilliance. Its a average level chain hotel thats a nice upgrade on what was there previously.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:31 AM

As I was driving down Main Street today (Saturday), I noticed that they were working at the building on the corner of King & Main. Although from the outside it doesn't look like much progress is being made, they've been busily working on the inside. There were some renderings posted before showing a pretty nice finished product. Then I drove by the lot next to Staples.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Photo from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page, showing the reconstructed path along the edge of the pond in Centennial Park.

They definitely did a great job on this east side of the waterfront. I was there last weekend for a photoshoot with a model and the results were fantastic. I assume phase 2 for the west side will be done next summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces