HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 10:21 AM

Driving by this morning I noticed that the fence at the corner of High and St. George has been removed along with some of the pave on that empty lot that was for sale (or was it for lease) for many years. I wonder if someone isn't going to finally to build something?

Finally found the sold information on the land... turn out while Master Chung's is 417 St. George, on PAOL it's listed at 415, go figure

Sale Date Amount
2019-08-28 175,000

Looks like we're definitely getting something.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 11:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting.

It would be nice if something were built on the old Wesley United Church property too (NW corner of St. George & Cameron). That's an even larger and better situated property. It's begging for mixed used with ground floor commercial/retail and upper level residential.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excerpts from a press release from the Friends of the Moncton Hospital today:

The Friends of The Moncton Hospital Foundation Raises $10.1 Million to Transform Patient Care
Goal exceeded by over $2 Million thanks to Generous Donors

Quote:
Today, the Friends of The Moncton Hospital Foundation announced that the Extraordinary Care Campaign, launched last November, raised $10.1 Million, more than $2 Million over goal. This marks the Foundation’s most ambitious campaign to date and one of the province’s largest healthcare campaigns. This amount, combined with the Province of New Brunswick’s multi‐million dollar commitment, will allow for two critical areas at Horizon’s The Moncton Hospital to be brought into the twenty‐first century.
Quote:
MATERNITY AND NEWBORN UNIT

The plan is to create a more family‐centred Maternity and Newborn Unit by expanding and enhancing the Labour and Birthing Unit (LBU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NNICU) and the Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic (MFMC). These three units will be relocated and merged into a newly constructed building between the Professional Arts Building (Arden Street) and the hospital’s main entrance on MacBeath Avenue.
This new space will create more modern and individual patient rooms for all stages of birth, each with private washroom facilities. This is expected to improve outcomes for the mother, reduce the length of hospital stay, prevent the spread of infection and provide superb patient care and a safe and seamless work environment for the staff. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit will also feature single private rooms, which provide a model of care that actively involves the parents in the care team. There will be improved patient and family privacy and confidentiality, while another initiative will control noise in the unit, a best practice in the provision of neonatal intensive care services. In addition, the Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic will create a comfortable and modern space for women during high‐risk pregnancies. It will be adjacent to the
other two units, providing the seamless continuity of Extraordinary Care that our patients and families deserve.
Construction on the Maternity and Newborn Unit is expected to begin in Spring 2020 with occupancy in late 2022.
Quote:
CARDIAC CARE

The plan is to relocate and expand the Cardiac Intensive Care and Cardiac Stepdown Units into one larger, modern space purposely designed for optimal care and recovery. The units will be adjacent to one another to enable medical professionals to provide more seamless patient centred care while offering greater comfort and private rooms for patients and their families. Construction will begin when the Maternity and Newborn Unit has been completed.
So, we now have a firm date for the start of construction of the new Maternity and Newborn Unit - March 2020. We also now know that work on the Cardiac Care Centre will not begin before 2022.

The fact that the Extraordinary Care Campaign was so successful, is truly a testament to our community, especially since the fundraising effort was generally pretty low key, conducted in the background, and relied heavily on corporate support, and support in the medical community.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I also noticed some fencing at the previous BDC location on Main Street this morning. It's A prime downtown location. The commercial vacancy rates are apparently very low. I wonder if they are renovating the space because they have a tenant.
I noticed this morning that they are also doing some work on the roof of this building. Being a part of the Assomption plaza it's a key location. There's a lot of square footage there on two floors. It could bring a lot of people downtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:15 PM

Re the corner of St George & High: It looks like they're just enclosing the area. The new posts go around the entire property and all the way to Dominion on the north side of the two existing buildings. Said buildings are sandwiched between Harvest House and Humanity Project, so I suspect they just want to keep people off their property (I've seen people sleeping in the backyards and there's often junk strewn around).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Updated rendering and floor plans for the new Maternal Newborn Unit at the Moncton Hospital:

The structural plan hasn't changed, but at least the current render shows that it is no longer an ugly bilious green colour.

First level floor plan. It shows a lot of "unoccupied space" at the front of the main level. I have no idea what the ultimate plan for this area is.

Second level floor plan.

- As mentioned above, construction is tentatively to begin in March 2020, with a completion date in 2022.
- Construction of the new cardiac care centre will follow completion of the maternal newborn unit, no sooner than 2022 (and possibly later, depending on government intentions).
- The new physician parking lot in front of the Ambulatory Care Centre will open before the snow flies this fall.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is now a second crane on site at the Hilton Garden Inn. It isn't another tower crane, but it is a rather large mini tower crane. The construction site looks pretty busy at present. I'll try to snap a photo this weekend if I can.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is now a second crane on site at the Hilton Garden Inn. It isn't another tower crane, but it is a rather large mini tower crane. The construction site looks pretty busy at present. I'll try to snap a photo this weekend if I can.
I'll be out with the drone all day Sunday weather permitting. Lots of updates to capture.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looking forward to it!

I snapped my photo this morning. I'm currently at work. I'll post it later today when I get home.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 4:17 PM
Random Contributor

Current status of 170 Victoria

Victoria Front:

Archibald rear driveway:

Finished look:

https://huddle.today/apartment-owner...ntown-moncton/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 9:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lots of activity at the Hilton Garden Inn:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 10:56 PM

Centennial Park pool now completed. Looking pretty dam nice!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:01 AM

Updated photo from St George blvd.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:27 PM

For the crane lovers.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:49 PM

A Via Rail passenger train arriving at the Moncton station from the east.

If you're wondering where the heck this is, well, the train just crossed the Lutz street crossing and about to cross over the Main st causeway.

The construction gear on the left over the fence is the Hyatt location. The engineer on the right is there for the red track switch, seen on the left. Left track in entrance to Via station, right track for cargo trains.

And here's something I didn't know, the causeway was actually three tracks wide in the old days. I knew it had two in the past, but not three. Google satellite shows it. Which answers why in the photo you can only see part of the left hand side of the causeway pillars.

Long camera lens give this photo a different perspective for sure!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Special meeting of Moncton PAC scheduled for October 16th.

One item on the agenda:

Quote:
Newco Construction on behalf of/au nom de Downtown City Housing 85 rue Foundry Street, Moncton (PID/NID 01078815) to vary the requirement to have traditional materials (Section 116(1) of Zoning bylaw Z-213) and to vary the requirement for balconies in the downtown (Section 124(a) of the Zoning By-law)

Sounds like they have plans to refurbish and reclad this portion of Heritage Place.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:27 PM

Speaking of the Heritage Place and dowtown...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:32 PM

Apartment progress at corner of St-George st & Weldon. 2 more floors to go.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Speaking of the Heritage Place and dowtown...

Too bad they can't do something with the assumption building to make it even a little appealing. Would make a nice canvas for a mural of some sort.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The best thing they could do for Assumption Place (aside from demolition), would be to allow a couple of architecturally interesting 12-15 storey buildings immediately adjacent, in order to downplay it's concrete phallic brutalism..........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces