HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its absolutely not the fault of the development community writ large etc and the city clearly knows that as do most citizens. Its 2019 and 18 story buildings shouldnt collapse in the USA while under construction or while complete. Thats just simply unacceptable and the city the community and the workers all deserve better than that. I certainly hope as you say if anyone has any complicity in creating an unsafe structure, they need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Could you imagine if the building had collapsed while occupied? the deaths could have been in the 100s. Speaking of Safety and Permits, wasnt there an investigation into that office by the FEDS already?
There was a Fed investigation that resulted in one guilty plea and two sudden departures from the office. Cantrell hired the old AG Kenneth Polite for their own investigation, which might or might not have been done behind the scenes and comes out now as damage control from the mayor's office. Honestly, Cantrell has screwed up the response so bad I have little faith she was doing anything until she had to and now they want to look like they've been doing the right thing all along...

This Lens piece (which isn't being reported out by The Advocate conspicuously enough) certainly makes things look worse: the Hard Rock developers have given $70k to Cantrell and her PAC since 2016.

https://thelensnola.org/2020/01/28/h...ion-committee/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Its absolutely not the fault of the development community writ large etc and the city clearly knows that as do most citizens. Its 2019 and 18 story buildings shouldnt collapse in the USA while under construction or while complete. Thats just simply unacceptable and the city the community and the workers all deserve better than that. I certainly hope as you say if anyone has any complicity in creating an unsafe structure, they need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Could you imagine if the building had collapsed while occupied? the deaths could have been in the 100s. Speaking of Safety and Permits, wasnt there an investigation into that office by the FEDS already?
Yes there is but i think its fairly unrelated. From what i heard it was more about one or a small number of safety and permits employees giving residential contractors breaks on permitting fees and inspections. Not that shoddy construction isnt dangerous but there is a huge difference between the hard rock hotel and giving someone a pass on their electrical or plumbing rough-in inspection for a house.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:27 PM

‘Co-living’ apartment tax break reconsidered

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...-reconsidered/

A proposed $44 million “co-living” development downtown will need to wait for a possible property tax break to help move the project forward.

Full article is paywalled...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Yes there is but i think its fairly unrelated. From what i heard it was more about one or a small number of safety and permits employees giving residential contractors breaks on permitting fees and inspections. Not that shoddy construction isnt dangerous but there is a huge difference between the hard rock hotel and giving someone a pass on their electrical or plumbing rough-in inspection for a house.
No doubt a huge difference between the two.. once is a huge public safety issue. Just curious what OSHA has discovered so far in regards to the construction site

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
There was a Fed investigation that resulted in one guilty plea and two sudden departures from the office. Cantrell hired the old AG Kenneth Polite for their own investigation, which might or might not have been done behind the scenes and comes out now as damage control from the mayor's office. Honestly, Cantrell has screwed up the response so bad I have little faith she was doing anything until she had to and now they want to look like they've been doing the right thing all along...

This Lens piece (which isn't being reported out by The Advocate conspicuously enough) certainly makes things look worse: the Hard Rock developers have given $70k to Cantrell and her PAC since 2016.

https://thelensnola.org/2020/01/28/h...ion-committee/
Major developers give money to candidates all the time so I dont think thats necessarily saying anything too much . This is an unprecedented situation in many ways given the size and location of the building and no one wants to be responsible for the thing falling on other buildings or killing/injuring more people. That said I think the Citys clarity on this could be much better now... there should be at least a weekly update on this. I also assume there is probably an idea of what happened at this point but not enough evidence yet to announce definitive findings... especially if criminal charges are possible!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:18 PM
-

Looks Like 1535 Canal is wrapping up in the next week or so: leasing has already started

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:32 PM
-

Tulane Ave Construction:

We closed out 2019 by renovating a space for a dental office on Magazine Street in New Orleans. Check out the photos of the beautiful office at Avenue Family Dentistry! Shout out to our great team: Dr. Paul Perez, Dr. Elizabeth Perez, and Scairono Martinez Architects. #PEC #Construction

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 29, 2020 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:51 AM

The OSHA report on the Hard Rock collapse should be out sometime in April from what I've heard.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The OSHA report on the Hard Rock collapse should be out sometime in April from what I've heard.
Thats going to be the first one I ever read! lol

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:45 PM

Work set to begin on the O&G building next month:

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...ding-to-hotel/

I thought they were already doing work on it but I suppose it's just prep/demolition work and now the actual renovation begins.

This might be new information: plans for the O&G building hotel will include meeting space/terrace area (I assume terraced/rooftop bar?) and a fine dining restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 6:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Work set to begin on the O&G building next month:

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...ding-to-hotel/

I thought they were already doing work on it but I suppose it's just prep/demolition work and now the actual renovation begins.

This might be new information: plans for the O&G building hotel will include meeting space/terrace area (I assume terraced/rooftop bar?) and a fine dining restaurant.
yes the rooftop plans changed .. as in there will be one now.. as for the work that was ongoing that was demo site prep.. so good news to see full renovation moving ahead...

really cant wait for the one stop app to be operational again.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 6:44 PM

This site at 530 Jackson extending around a few adjacent properties to Rousseau now has construction fencing up. A nice expansion of an Irish Channel school with a cafe for the general public on a currently vacant lot.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:21 PM
-

New lounge, The Club MSY, opening at New Orleans airport today

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...leans-airport/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:25 PM
-

The demolition contractor that was introduced during the Friday, January 17th #HardRockCollapse press conference has started to mobilize equipment at the site. As they progress, we will continue to provide updates as stated in press conference on that day. Demolition is proposed for mid to late March.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:19 PM
-

Crews continue to progress on the Union St. maintenance project in the Central Business District. When complete, this block will feature upsized drainage & a pervious parking lane to hold storm water & gradually allow it to move into our drainage system.#nolaprogress @CityOfNOLA

Really curious to see how this road turns out

The Club Msy.. and it has been confirmed Priority Pass Works there~!

1535 Canal :

Jung Sports Bar

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:04 AM

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...9b1486401.html

Why this Warehouse District retail and 'co-living' project's tax break is now being reviewed

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 4:50 AM

Will Baton Rouge be included in the New Orleans Metropolitan area for the 2020 US census? If so that would make the New Orleans-Baton Rouge Metro 2.2+ million people. which will make us the 26-28th largest metro in the country. Does anyone have an update on that?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 2:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
Will Baton Rouge be included in the New Orleans Metropolitan area for the 2020 US census? If so that would make the New Orleans-Baton Rouge Metro 2.2+ million people. which will make us the 26-28th largest metro in the country. Does anyone have an update on that?
It absolutely should be ... so many other cities include larger areas... and to be honest houma thibideaux should be included as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
It absolutely should be ... so many other cities include larger areas... and to be honest houma thibideaux should be included as well.
Yeah but it's all based on formulas as far as how many people commute from one parish / county to the other and stuff like that. I think St James has dropped in and out a few times so I wouldn't expect baton rouge to be included anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Should it? Baton Rouge (as well as Port Allen, Denham Springs, and every other community in the Baton Rouge MSA) would have to be dependent on or correlated to New Orleans in a multitude of ways in order for it to be included into the New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner MSA. BR holds its own a little too well to be tied to New Orleans.

I honestly can’t think of a single MSA in the top 25 that includes a fully self-sustaining city nearly 100 miles away. Actually, I can’t think of one with a population of over a million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations