HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:04 AM
Metal Up Your !

I have mixed feelings about it too, as with everyone else, but it is the sad ways of progression and development. We'll need a moment of silence when this does happen.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin4u View Post
Can they not use those facades and incorporate them? It happens here in Toronto all the time (though sometimes it looks pretty bad).
Well, that's a huge vote of confidence. But townhouses look decent as townhouses, not as the foot of taller skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post
Although I understand the economic rationale for its impending demise, I can remember spending very pleasant times leafing through very beautiful (and expensive) architecture books back in the 80s before the wealth of photos these hallowed pages now provide. RIP, Rizzoli, and thanks for the memories.
Book stores in general have been on the demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I have mixed feelings about it too, as with everyone else, but it is the sad ways of progression and development. We'll need a moment of silence when this does happen.
It's the natural order. Hey, we won't be here forever either, and who are we to say that our old architecture would be better appreciated 100 years from now than what is being built now? What about the Manhattan of the 1800's? Imagine if nothing got torn down in the evolution of the City.

Anway, I don't believe for a second that if anyone here owned that property, and knew they could make a billion developing it, they wouldn't. Sentimentality would give way to reality.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:29 PM

Most of this site will be that horrible Hadassah building on 58th, so I have no problem with the demolition of these buildings.

You can't build anywhere in Manhattan without tearing down older buildings of some note, so unless you want NYC to be a museum city like Venice, some older buildings will have to go.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
You can't build anywhere in Manhattan without tearing down older buildings of some note, so unless you want NYC to be a museum city like Venice, some older buildings will have to go.
That is true. It's truly a "built" city, and to the degree that a growing, thriving city continues to build, there must be some demolition. A living city often reinvents itself on different fronts. That's one of the things that has always kept New York thriving. West 57th Street used to be a cheesey tourist destination.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That is true. It's truly a "built" city, and to the degree that a growing, thriving city continues to build, there must be some demolition. A living city often reinvents itself on different fronts. That's one of the things that has always kept New York thriving. West 57th Street used to be a cheesey tourist destination.
Indeed - but I will say it is slightly disappointing that in the process, some nice buildings must be torn down. NYC has hundreds (if not thousands) of horrendous brown brick boxes which could use a good razing.

Still, all I can say is "full steam ahead" with regards to 57th street.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:53 AM

It will be hard to see these small buildings demolished. However, it is like I always say - if something worthy is built on the place of these, okay.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:31 AM

Wow those are some beautiful buildings. Not a fan of this proposal at the moment...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 5:24 PM

^Unless the design is on the same level as 111 w57th and Tower Verre then neither will I.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 2:21 AM
World Machine

Demolishing the past to make way for the future is at times a necessary evil. This is one of those times - the momentum driving the development along 57th Street is mind boggling!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:17 PM
BANNED

i would like to know how the height of that building

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Demolishing the past to make way for the future is at times a necessary evil. This is one of those times - the momentum driving the development along 57th Street is mind boggling!
Yes, the future is upon us! You know, we don't get to decide what gets built based on design, and in some cases, it doesn't always work out for us. But whatever replaces what was there before gets to exist for a reason, that reason being a city cannot continue to live in the past if it expects to survive. Sure, those townhouses look nice, but it's the year 2014 on West 57th Street. What are you more likely to see get built, townhouses or luxury highrise condos? If you picked the highrises, you are correct.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
i would like to know how the height of that building
If they're using the Hadassah building on 58th Street as part of the assemblage, they have major air rights, and can build as tall as they please.

My guess is something extremely tall and thin, but who knows. No permits filed yet.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 2:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
If they're using the Hadassah building on 58th Street as part of the assemblage, they have major air rights, and can build as tall as they please.

My guess is something extremely tall and thin, but who knows. No permits filed yet.
Something along the lines of 111 W. 57th would be nice. It would also bridge the gap between 432 Park and the rest of the new towers along 57th. but it's still too early to say. The views will be important, and we could have another situation like Nordstrom/220 CPS.

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2014/0...-central-park/

Clive Minchom

Quote:
.....At a meta-level the story of this building project is a story about the renewal of New York, about new lamps for old. Many old structures are being torn down all over the city now as it seeks to keep pace with the needs of growth through greater density and higher-rise developments. Of course there is a price to be paid; not all the structures being demolished around town may be quite ready for it, though most of them likely are, and there are social costs to be incurred as well. Separately, for example, Vornado are going to tear down a famous old book shop, the Rizzoli Bookstore, on West 57th sTreet, for another project and it is not clear yet how the old Steinway building is going to fare under its new owners. Vornado for one have promised to help relocate the book store. But for the city of New York the pluses obviously outweigh the minuses as the city continues to grow with renewed exuberance.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 19, 2014 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 3:19 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.ibtimes.com/rizzoli-books...ction-says-nyc

Rizzoli Bookstore Demolition: 57th Street Building Lacks Significance
For Landmark Protection, Says NYC Committee

By Christopher Zara
January 17 2014

Quote:
The building that houses New York’s beloved Rizzoli Bookstore does not meet the criteria for individual landmark status, according to the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission. The determination was made on Wednesday by the office of Robert B. Tierney, chairman of the commission, which found that the Midtown Manhattan property at 31 West 57th Street “lacks the architectural significance necessary to meet the criteria for designation as an individual landmark.”

The determination follows reports this week that the charming 109-year-old structure is facing demolition, presumably to make way for yet another luxury condo and adding to the numerous glass towers that have sprouted up like mushrooms along the busy crosstown thoroughfare. Rizzoli is located in one of three adjacent townhouses, all of which will reportedly be demolished. The news has caused an outcry among New York City literary types and preservationists.

“The sense of what 57th Street once was is getting lost,” said Peg Breen, president of the advocacy group New York Landmarks Conservancy. “I think these are the types of buildings that give you a sense of perspective. Given what’s going on on the rest of the street, you want some memories.”

In response to reports of a pending demolition, Pam Sommers, a spokeswoman for Rizzoli, released a statement clarifying that the bookstore will remain at its current location for the time being but is “actively seeking new space.”

The bookstore’s management had requested that the city evaluate the property to determine if it qualifies for landmark protection. In a letter obtained by International Business Times, Marry Beth Betts, a commission researcher, said a senior staff committee carefully reviewed the building but declined to recommend it for further consideration as an individual New York City Landmark.

The bookstore had apparently argued for landmark status on the grounds that the building, not far from Steinway Hall, was once the location of a piano showroom, and is therefore a historic remnant of the city’s influential piano industry. The commission, however, pointed out that it has already commemorated that industry through the designation of Steinway Hall and its first-floor reception room, among other locations.

“The committee recommends that these sites, in comparison to 31 W. 57th Street, provide a better representation of the piano’s industry’s historic significance to New York City,” Betts wrote.

Sommers declined to comment on whether Rizzoli will appeal the determination.

Founded in 1964, Rizzoli has been at its 57th Street location for 29 years. The New York Times reported a pending demolition on Tuesday but said the building’s owners -- the LeFrak real estate family and Vornado Realty Trust -- would not be specific about their plans. The neighborhood, and in particular 57th Street, is falling prey to rapid development. The newly constructed glass giant One57 is said to be the tallest residential building in the city.

Given the commission’s opinion, Breen said it’s unlikely at this point that the “three little gems” will be saved unless a public backlash is strong enough to convince city officials otherwise. “It’s much more difficult when the developer already owns them and has plans,” she said. “It shouldn’t be the end of it, but it often is.”

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 4:22 PM
World Machine

^^^ That's all the reassurance one needs that these town homes are not worth being spared by the wrecking ball. Just because a structure(s) may be old or contain something neat doesn't mean it is worth saving. That bookstore can be recreated elsewhere, it's not irreplaceable.....although I will admit it is pretty neat.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Something along the lines of 111 W. 57th would be nice. It would also bridge the gap between 432 Park and the rest of the new towers along 57th. but it's still too early to say. The views will be important, and we could have another situation like Nordstrom/220 CPS.
I agree that something along the lines of 111 W.57 would be ideal on this site.

Something skinny, with real height, and a landmark design, would be just perfect. The zoning certainly allows this. Let's see what happens.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 6:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Not sure what's going on here...

January 19, 2014

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:01 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Wow. So 29 is coming down too... There's going to be some PO'd people. I don't know why else they would be putting up netting/scaffolding if they weren't going to raze it. 29 West 57th is the one I actually like.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:15 PM

I hope 29 won´t come down. I can get over the loss of the smaller buildings, but not 29.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 5:05 PM

I know we're all for skyscrapers here but if 29 comes down it would be a major loss.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals