HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Of the 17 cities/regions in North America selected to host a World Cup, which should
Atlanta: Mercedes-Benz Stadium 11 11.34%
Boston: Gillette Stadium 0 0%
Dallas: AT&T Stadium 4 4.12%
Guadalajara: Estadio Akron 2 2.06%
Houston: NRG Stadium 5 5.15%
Kansas City: Arrowhead Stadium 5 5.15%
Los Angeles: SoFi Stadium 22 22.68%
Mexico City: Estadio Azteca 11 11.34%
Monterrey: Estadio BBVVA Bancomer 0 0%
Miami: Hard Rock Stadium 2 2.06%
New York/New Jersey: MetLife Stadium 17 17.53%
Philadelphia: Lincoln Financial Field 10 10.31%
San Francisco Bay Area: Levi's Stadium 3 3.09%
Seattle: Lumen Field 3 3.09%
Toronto: BMO Field 1 1.03%
Vancouver: BC Place 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 8:10 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Yes, MLB this year. A big event really benefits from neighboring facilities.

City Nerd just did a good video on stadium urbanity BTW. Philly scored well for clustering and transit but poorly for putting everything in a giant sea of parking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtGU...annel=CityNerd
I'm surprised he has Seattle ranked so high. T-Mobile isn't a particular good looking stadium and it's not well integrated into the surrounding neighborhood (access is cut off on 3 out of 4 sides). And you would've expected to see some more urban infill and neighborhood activation by now a la Oracle Park and Petco Park.

https://goo.gl/maps/odEbTSXGHFggfyWV9

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:31 AM

I think that T-Mobile Park is a mixed-bag, as it is well-located and easy to get to, but you're right that there hasn't been much development around the stadium.

I think that Seattle has pretty well-located stadiums overall, but none, in particular, stand out.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I was gonna say Mexico City/Estadio Azteca. It holds the most people out of all the other venues.

And yeah, soccer is very popular in Mexico, moreso than the US and Canada. WTF.
I think it would be cool if it was at Azteca… but I think FIFA will go with where they feel they will make the most $. And that ain’t Mexico City unfortunately.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:30 AM

Also, seems like Chicago should be hosting games instead of Kansas City.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:36 AM

The stadium itself isn't most ideal, but Philadelphia during the 250th birthday celebration of our nation would certainly be appropriate.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 11:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Chicago didn't want to play by FIFA's funding rules for hosting, so the city withdrew its bid.

Here's what then mayor Rahm Emanuel said at the time:

"The guys from international soccer wanted us to underwrite their sporting event,” he said. “I am not going to write a company a blank check that can fleece the taxpayers."

I think there was also still a sour taste in the city's mouth from feeling jerked around by the IOC on the 2016 bid. It might be a long time before we see Chicago bother with these sorts of things again.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 19, 2023 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 11:04 AM

LA's SoFi Stadium is the natural choice IMO

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Mercedes-Benz is the largest company by far, with annual revenue of 168 billion Euros, so Mercedes-Benz Stadium is the most likely choice.
Agree, plus the Airport speaks for itself.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It's the smallest U.S. host by quite a gap. I wonder why they skipped over so many other capable hosts for KC.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
LA's SoFi Stadium is the natural choice IMO
I think the subway connection to LAX will be open by then, so it does make a strong case. I think Metlife Stadium will get it, though... And probably makes the best case for it.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think the subway connection to LAX will be open by then, so it does make a strong case. I think Metlife Stadium will get it, though... And probably makes the best case for it.
The LAX/Metro Transit Center station should be complete (in 2024) but the $1.8 billion Inglewood Transit Connector people mover connecting the K Line from the Downtown Inglewood station to SoFi Stadium won't be complete until 2028 at the earliest.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It's the smallest U.S. host by quite a gap. I wonder why they skipped over so many other capable hosts for KC.
There were only 3 non-sunbelt interior cities that submitted formal bids: Denver, KC, and Cincy.

Larger interior cities like Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, and St. Louis either didn't bid or withdraw their bids (as I mentioned above about Chicago).

FIFA probably thought that the interior of the nation should have at least one representarive city, though I don't know any of the specifics for why KC's bid won out over Denver and Cincy.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
There were only 3 non-sunbelt interior cities that submitted formal bids: Denver, KC, and Cincy.

Larger interior cities like Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, and St. Louis either didn't bid or withdraw their bids (as I mentioned above about Chicago).

FIFA probably thought that the interior of the nation should have at least one representarive city, though I don't know any of the specifics for why KC's bid won out over Denver and Cincy.
I believe Detroit was cut as a potential host. I don't think they withdrew.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I believe Detroit was cut as a potential host. I don't think they withdrew.
Gotcha. Detroit must have been cut from one of the preliminary rounds. 18 US cities were named as finalists, with Chicago being one of those, and my guess is that FIFA officials were just working under the assumption that the windy city would rep the Midwest as the largest interior city and the region's de facto capital.

When Chicago withdrew its bid, FIFA officials were probably thrown for a loop and were like "Oh shit! Chicago's not gonna play ball? Really?..... Fuck.... Ummm...... Okay..... How about Kansas City then!"

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:58 PM

It could also be possible that FIFA was trying to avoid any association, whether real or manufactured, with the Lions.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Gotcha. Detroit must have been cut from one of the preliminary rounds. 18 US cities were named as finalists, with Chicago being one of those, and my guess is that FIFA officials were just working under the assumption that the windy city would rep the Midwest as the largest interior city and the region's de facto capital.

When Chicago withdrew its bid, FIFA officials were probably thrown for a loop and were like "Oh shit! Chicago's not gonna play ball? Really?..... Fuck.... Ummm...... Okay..... How about Kansas City then!"
Yeah, Detroit was in the initial round but got cut around the same time Chicago withdrew its bid. They could have cut Detroit because they anticipated Chicago would be a host. I guess Detroit being in the eastern time zone also factored against it too. Detroit would've been the 7th city in the eastern time zone.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:51 PM

Dallas is my bet, it has everything to offer from AT&T Stadium which can easily accommodate 100K spectators to the Cotton Bowl 80K spectators. Other advantages are that DFW metro area is the largest that is most centralized in the North American Continent Making flights shorter to and from DFW International Airport than any other major metro area in the continent. The airport is now is the second busiest in the world, with construction of a new terminal and improvements costing in the billions of dollars within the next three years. Also not to mention the other major airport Love Field. DFW has the longest light rail system in the country with commuter rail as well. DFW being a major hub of communications is also ideal for the World Cup broadcasting Center as well.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 6:03 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
Dallas is my bet, it has everything to offer from AT&T Stadium which can easily accommodate 100K spectators to the Cotton Bowl 80K spectators. Other advantages are that DFW metro area is the largest that is most centralized in the North American Continent Making flights shorter to and from DFW International Airport than any other major metro area in the continent. The airport is now is the second busiest in the world, with construction of a new terminal and improvements costing in the billions of dollars within the next three years. Also not to mention the other major airport Love Field. DFW has the longest light rail system in the country with commuter rail as well. DFW being a major hub of communications is also ideal for the World Cup broadcasting Center as well.
How is this relevant for AT&T Stadium being an ideal site though? Can you get to the stadium via light rail or commuter rail? As far as I can tell, the closest TRE station is 7-8 miles away by car. And the closest DART station is at DFW, 13 miles away.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 6:21 PM

I hear the tailgate party will be a soccer mom affair.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 6:33 PM
你的媽媽

The other consideration is weather. The 2026 World Cup is going to be held June 11 to July 19. I'd wager it would not be pleasant to be in Dallas during this time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions