HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 7:33 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued For 322-40 Race Street In Old City

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/06/perm...ladelphia.html
How did this get approved?! Barf.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
10 million dollar homeless shelter fwiw

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Wow that’s impressively ugly. No idea how this got through.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Wow that’s impressively ugly. No idea how this got through.
This but not the Painted Bride project?!?!?! I cannot

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 12:37 PM

Yimby has two completely different renderings of this project on the same page with no indication of which one is current. Keep up the good work yimby team.

The good news is they're both bad so it doesn't really matter.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 12:52 PM

I think this is positive news overall. There is momentum behind doing something beyond incremental improvement on some of these issues.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20230605.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 1:27 PM
Chris

Some more good press... Philadelphia won big in the James Beard awards yesterday.

Outstanding Restaurant: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Outstanding Restaurateur: Ellen Yin, High Street Hospitality Group (Fork, a.kitchen + bar, High Street, and others)
Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic (DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA): Chutatip “Nok” Suntaranon, Kalaya

These chefs and restaurants are the 2023 James Beard Award winners
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/j...023/index.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I think this is positive news overall. There is momentum behind doing something beyond incremental improvement on some of these issues.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20230605.html
haha, I was getting some Ice Cream Saturday evening around 10pm at Weckerlys on Girard (near Frankford) and I saw FIVE street sweepers go by in a line. They weren't running and I'm not sure where they were going but that has to account for something

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Some more good press... Philadelphia won big in the James Beard awards yesterday.

Outstanding Restaurant: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Outstanding Restaurateur: Ellen Yin, High Street Hospitality Group (Fork, a.kitchen + bar, High Street, and others)
Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic (DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA): Chutatip “Nok” Suntaranon, Kalaya

These chefs and restaurants are the 2023 James Beard Award winners
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/j...023/index.html
I travel quite a bit and have to say the culinary scene is Philly is probably one of the best in the country at this point, second only to NYC. This is certainly evidence of that. FSS is amazing, would highly recommend.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:18 PM

Yikes this is really going to slow down the development in west Philly. Kingsessing, and cobbs creek will probably the greatest beneficiary of this.

https://www.westphillylocal.com/2023...eld-wednesday/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Yikes this is really going to slow down the development in west Philly. Kingsessing, and cobbs creek will probably the greatest beneficiary of this.

I support this, beautiful neighborhood. Although, I’m basically a quasi communist when it comes to this sort of stuff lol

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:32 PM

Very much needed. The character of the area is a huge part of what makes it desirable.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post

This is some of the best news I’ve heard all year. Spruce Hill has some of the most unique architecture to Philly.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:56 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Uhh some bad news guys.

I was just in the South St wawa & overhead a guy talking to the wawa staff asking if they were really closing the location.

I just dont understand how all these wawas are closing even in solid areas.

And why doesnt wawa just transform them to the pick up / limited store that they have on 16th st across from Liberty Place.

That would be a much better idea then pulling every single wawa out the city.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
This is some of the best news I’ve heard all year. Spruce Hill has some of the most unique architecture to Philly.
Agreed but does anyone else feel like the zone is slightly off? I feel like they should lob off the northern part (north of Walnut) and add on to the West and Southwest. In any event, totally agreed on preserving these gorgeous victorians.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Uhh some bad news guys.

I was just in the South St wawa & overhead a guy talking to the wawa staff asking if they were really closing the location.

I just dont understand how all these wawas are closing even in solid areas.

And why doesnt wawa just transform them to the pick up / limited store that they have on 16th st across from Liberty Place.

That would be a much better idea then pulling every single wawa out the city.
Assuming you’re talking about the one at 22nd Street…i live around the corner and the issue is just retail theft. Dude’s roll in with bags, fill stuff up and leave. Happens at the CVS too. It’s a bummer but these stores are small margin and it’s not worth the hassle. I’ve been in the city for over 15 years now and I’ve never seen anything like it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:17 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Assuming you’re talking about the one at 22nd Street…i live around the corner and the issue is just retail theft. Dude’s roll in with bags, fill stuff up and leave. Happens at the CVS too. It’s a bummer but these stores are small margin and it’s not worth the hassle. I’ve been in the city for over 15 years now and I’ve never seen anything like it.
Sorry. I was talking about the one on 2nd St. I always forget there are two wawas & also two different “South Sts”

Its also disappointing covid absolutely wrecked store hours. We used to have plenty of 24 hour & late night stores & food choice’s , now every option except for a few are gone.

Even grocery stores & walmarts are starting to close an hour earlier now.

Thats one thing that im pissed about from covid is the loss if 24 hour businesses.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Sorry. I was talking about the one on 2nd St. I always forget there are two wawas & also two different “South Sts”

Its also disappointing covid absolutely wrecked store hours. We used to have plenty of 24 hour & late night stores & food choice’s , now every option except for a few are gone.

Even grocery stores & walmarts are starting to close an hour earlier now.

Thats one thing that im pissed about from covid is the loss if 24 hour businesses.
It's not just COVID though. It's the complete and utter lack of control over theft and other antisocial behavior. Like, just walking around and living life things do seem better than 2021/2022, but I guess maybe that's not the case for retailers.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:51 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
It's not just COVID though. It's the complete and utter lack of control over theft and other antisocial behavior. Like, just walking around and living life things do seem better than 2021/2022, but I guess maybe that's not the case for retailers.
That was the fault of Covid though, covid unraveled the ball of rubberbands that kept everything running, we lost over 1 million people, majority of people who worked these jobs lost them because of covid, passed away or simply retired leaving a big hole in the economy.

As well as the change in attitude in police & loss of a quarter of the force.

The dead streets allowed for the homeless problem to spread into new areas & the lack of force gave people the opportunity to do bigger & bolder things we see now.

In 2023 we are finally seeing a slow return to normalcy but everything we knew in the past has been destroyed

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I think a lot of these closings were decided last year or the year before but they are waiting until the lease is up to announce. Things are getting better this year but it will probably be some time before these closings stop happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development