HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Sun Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:31 PM
你的媽媽

Maceo May is now open.

The specs:
- 6 floors
- 105 units (65 of the units will be for veterans)

Quote:
Maceo May Apartments Open On Treasure Island, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON MAY 31, 2023

The affordable Maceo May Apartment building has officially opened at 55 Cravath Street on Treasure Island, San Francisco. The six-story modular infill has 104 units dedicated to veterans and their families, a manager’s unit, and amenities. Swords to Plowshares and Chinatown Community Development Center are joint developers.

The project is named after the first Board President of One Treasure Island as well as Swords to Plowshares’ first Housing Director and a Vietnam War veteran. Michael Blecker, Executive Director at Swords to Plowshares, reflected that the project “transforms a former military base into a restorative place for veterans.” He expressed that “it is a fitting tribute to its namesake, Swords to Plowshares’ first director of housing, Maceo May, who was a trailblazer for supportive housing.”

At the official opening ceremony for the apartments held earlier this month, Mayor London Breed told the crowd, “having lived on Treasure Island myself, I understand firsthand what this community means for residents already living here.” She went on to say “we need to build more housing at different affordability levels in the City, and we need to build them now.”

The six-story structure will yield around 104,500 square feet for housing. Unit sizes will vary with studios, one-bedrooms, and two bedrooms. Amenities will include on-site services, a community room, laundry, parking for cars and bicycles, outdoor common areas, a pet run, a garden, a playground, and a barbecue.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/05/maceo-ma...francisco.html

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:32 PM
你的媽媽

And the photos. It actually looks pretty good. Clean and simple. Not too busy with overuse of different facade materials. Should look more in place once all the other construction around it is completed as well.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
And the photos. It actually looks pretty good. Clean and simple. Not too busy with overuse of different facade materials. Should look more in place once all the other construction around it is completed as well.

It's such a weird premise right now with living there - like there's no real grocery stores yet and you'd have to go to SF or Oakland (and pay a toll) to do anything. I know that eventually it'll be built up with some neighbors and some amenities but for now I'm sure it'll be a bit hard to find tenants.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:21 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
It's such a weird premise right now with living there - like there's no real grocery stores yet and you'd have to go to SF or Oakland (and pay a toll) to do anything. I know that eventually it'll be built up with some neighbors and some amenities but for now I'm sure it'll be a bit hard to find tenants.
Yeah, I think they are definitely going to need to add at least one large grocery store for the island, along with other neighborhood amenities like restaurants, bakeries, coffee/boba shops, post office, FedEx/UPS store, medical/dental offices, pharmacies, barber shops, nail salons, etc in order to make it viable for the pending increase in residents.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 11:28 PM
你的媽媽

As first reported by tall/awkward, Tidal House is now topped off.

Quote:
First Highrise on Treasure Island 'Tops Off' at 22 Stories
13 JULY 2023 / SF NEWS / JAY BARMANN

Have you seen this thing going up when you're crossing the bridge? The first-ever highrise building on Treasure Island, the 250-unit apartment tower dubbed Tidal House, just "topped off" Wednesday with a final steel beam hoisted into place on the top, 22nd story of the structure.

The largest of the buildings currently under construction on Treasure Island, Tidal House, was nothing but concrete piles in the ground 12 months ago, as the Chronicle reports. And to date it has required 2,167 cement-truck loads, and 70 million pounds of reinforcing steel, "equivalent to three Eiffel Towers."

According to the designers of the tower, David Baker Architects, the folded façade of the tower "maximizes views of the city’s iconic Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge—as well as the San Francisco skyline."

"We are building a new neighborhood in San Francisco and contributing to a famous skyline. I can’t wait to see this project in a movie — maybe see Tom Cruise jumping off of it," says David Baker Architects Principal Pedram Farashbandi, speaking to the Chronicle. He adds that he nearly got into an accident on the Bay Bridge trying to get a good look at it.

In addition to Tidal House, also under construction are the 138-unit Star View Court, an affordable project; the 178-unit Hawkins apartment complex; and the 148-unit Portico, a condo development. The 105-unit Maceo May apartment complex for veterans has already opened for move-ins. In total, there may be as many as 8,000 units on the island once all the construction is done, but we are still in early phases.

And there could ultimately be several even taller buildings on Treasure Island, as the master plan shows — but for the time being, Tidal House will be the tallest.
https://sfist.com/2023/07/13/first-h...at-22-stories/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 12:59 AM

Has Sun Tower been canceled? Because I feel like I haven't heard much about its construction in a while. When I first saw the Tidal House under construction I didn't know that the Tidal House was what was being built and I thought it was Sun Tower initially.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 6:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
Has Sun Tower been canceled? Because I feel like I haven't heard much about its construction in a while. When I first saw the Tidal House under construction I didn't know that the Tidal House was what was being built and I thought it was Sun Tower initially.
I believe the Sun Tower is officially dead, but some variation of a tall statement tower is probably still being planned. Tidal House is just one of several towers though, some of which should be quite a bit taller, at least based on the renderings. I haven't seen any detailed renderings or specs on these other towers yet though.

https://sfyimby.com/2023/01/yimby-vi...francisco.html

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 8:15 PM
REAL Kiwi!

This development is fun to watch, is Treasure Island separate from the city /county of SF?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 8:18 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
This development is fun to watch, is Treasure Island separate from the city /county of SF?
Yep, TI is considered a neighborhood of SF, so SF proper/county.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 8:31 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yep, TI is considered a neighborhood of SF, so SF proper/county.
Wow, thats great. Quite a location..

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:14 AM
你的媽媽

Updated view of the growing TI skyline from the Embarcadero.

PC: homebucket

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 5:40 PM

Any clue how tall that building is? I'll be back home in December to check it out!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 5:46 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Any clue how tall that building is? I'll be back home in December to check it out!
I believe 220 ft!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:00 PM
你的媽媽

The specs for 39-49 Burton Street (Parcel C2.4 aka Isle House):
- 22 floors, 220 ft
- 250 units (15 studios, 16 junior 1BR, 93 1BR, 115 2BR, 11 3BR)
- Below grade parking for 127 cars

The site:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yPBsgwGVLGXzj54r5

https://www.webcor.com/newsroom-abou...tial-high-rise

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The only downside of living there is you're at the mercy of the Bay Bridge.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:34 PM
你的媽媽

It's too bad they didn't build Treasure Island south of Yerba Buena Island. Otherwise it'd be perfectly situated for a BART station in between Embarcadero and West Oakland.

Or build the bike lane on the western span of the Bay Bridge. Or keep the original Key System in place.

As it stands, right now there is only the 25 Treasure Island Muni bus line and the Treasure Island Ferry.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:51 PM

should definitely beef up the ferry service once more housing is built. only a ten minute trip. I liked these quick frictionless ferries in Amsterdam

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstirrat View Post
should definitely beef up the ferry service once more housing is built. only a ten minute trip. I liked these quick frictionless ferries in Amsterdam
They'll definitely need to beef it up and run more frequent service. Looks like currently each ferry can only carry 6 bikes max. Being able to carry mopeds and motorized scooters/motorcycles like Vespas would be a game changer as well.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 7:14 PM

That 220 foot building is VERY visible from all places, I can only image what the other ones will be like.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 3:56 AM
你的媽媽

After the discussion about the TI Ferry, I decided to ride it myself. It was nice. Quick and easy ~10 min ride. Departed on schedule. Comfortable seats inside. Outside upper deck has great views.

Ferry Building work mostly complete

Checked out some of the construction work

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development