HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 3:30 PM

The most interesting "regular" building

What's the most interesting "regular" building that you've seen? What is considered regular is subjective, but generally it's something bland and doesn't stand out in its environment; it doesn't have a lot of details to draw attention, or it isn't striking as a whole. It wasn't designed by a notable architect, even before they got famous or someone with just local stature. It would normally get criticized or overlooked on a site like this, when compared with other buildings.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 3:33 PM

This building in Elsmere, Delaware, is one that I drive by a few times a month and kind of like. It was built sometime in the last 10-15 years. The little clock tower and the iron balconies give it enough character to make it nice, even though it's really just a steel-and-cinder-block box without the details. The little neon sign for the cafe is a nice finishing touch.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 6:04 PM

This former factory building, now used as offices and apartments. Its only visible from the back of a parking lot used by a hardware store and auto parts store that I frequent. I had probably looked at it dozens of times before I paid attention to it, now every time I stop and take the time admire it.

Mod Pac
by bpawlik, on Flickr

EDITED following some investigation - this building is actually part of the former American Radiator Company (later American Standard) Institute for Thermal Research, now converted to loft apartments (ARCO Lofts). Per city records, it says the complex dates to 1911, but this part of the building looks to be older, based on the style and the number of chimneys. I found a 1901 map that shows American Radiator at his location, and earlier maps (1893) show a building roughly here, but without enough info to confirm its the same. So, it looks to me like this building dates somewhere in the 1890s, with the 1911 addition attached to the street side front of the building (it looks like a school, and not as interesting to me as the back).

Last edited by benp; May 27, 2023 at 7:41 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions