HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
1 E Erie / Ontario Place.
i wasn't aware that ontario place had office usage, i thought it was all residential. you learn something new everyday.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:59 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i wasn't aware that ontario place had office usage, i thought it was all residential.
Yup, it's an interesting little place on the inside.

Just off of the top of my head, there's also 2 E Erie (union offices), Axis on Ontario & LSD, 680 LSD, 30 E Huron, I believe River City? And there's probably even more.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Big stretch as this has to have more neighborhood meetings and would have to go back before the plan commission.
in my head it's an approved PUD, but is that not right?

I thought it went through a redo

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:50 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
1 E Erie / Ontario Place.

Also, I would not take much stock into this information but on Costar (a commercial real estate site used by commercial brokers) it list the south tower as 1,800,000 SF proposed 2018 and the east tower as 1,500,000 SF proposed 2020. Once again, I would take that information with a grain of salt.

Yeah, a lot of stuff on CoStar should be taking with two handfuls of salt.....same for the quotes on the GRS-Global site........definitely don't get a 'highly credible' vibe from that.....

As ever, the most sensible program for remaining two towers would be residential and hotel for South, and office for East.....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:04 PM
DENNAB

Quote:

Also, I would not take much stock into this information but on Costar (a commercial real estate site used by commercial brokers) it list the south tower as 1,800,000 SF proposed 2018 and the east tower as 1,500,000 SF proposed 2020. Once again, I would take that information with a grain of salt.
While i'll take it with a grain of salt if those figures are true these towers will both be monsters, especially considering they'll be fairly thin considering the site isn't huge.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
4 of the 10 are U/C, and Wanda Vista has a good chance of being built. I think the other ones in S. Loop also have a good chance too. The only crapshoots up there IMO are the other Wolf Point buildings. I'd say that most of them have a good chance of being built.

It's funny you put that in writing, I have been under the assumption that Wolf Point is the least likely large tower to get off the ground any time soon as well. But upon further examination of that notion, I don't think it makes sense. I mean I think it's a leftover feeling from years of watching Wolf Point sit there empty. But now we have phase one of the project done and a team of developers including Magellan and Hines. Honestly it seems inevitable that construction starts on Wolf Point in the next couple of years. 1000 S Michigan, for example, just came out of nowhere, why is that more likely than phase 2 of a project that already started backed by extremely competent developers?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
in my head it's an approved PUD, but is that not right?

I thought it went through a redo
It is a PD, but Alderman Reilly forced a requirement that each additional phase go through the process all over again. This was a concession to the whiny neighbors complaining about the density that was already approved back in 1978, when of course no one lived nearby. In fact, the allowable density on Wolf Point was actually reduced from what was already approved in 1978 when the recent amending of the PD occurred.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:02 PM

I have always felt these towers were the MOST likely to get built. With who is behind this project i doubt they will have any troubles with financing or the city. You just don't turn down the Kennedy's.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 1:06 PM

The Kennedy have decided building another apartment building on the east end of Wolf Point. They aim to break ground on the high-rise by first-quarter 2017.

"Residents have already signed leases for about 30 percent of the apartments in the first Wolf Point tower, a 509-unit building called Wolf Point West that opened in January. About 10 percent of the units are occupied

The second tower will be “significantly larger” than Wolf Point West, Kennedy said, but he did not offer specifics. The zoning agreement that covers Wolf Point allows for a 750-foot tower on the east end of the riverside site, enough for a 60-story apartment building."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...partment-tower

Doesn't 30% leased sound pretty low? I know it only opened a few month ago but still.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 1:24 PM
The City

^ I'm surprised they aren't going condo with at least some of this building, being that it's the furthest east and thus won't have obstructed views

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 1:56 PM
BANNED

^^Wow this is fantastic news * amazing. It is so much better to have significantly more residential on wolf point imo. Two giant office towers would not only struggle to get built but, if built, would be void of life after hours. This also lends itself to a better mix of architecture on the site. Let's face it, the twin office towers are pretty bland, especially the 750 footer, and the skyline is better off without it. Pleasssse let bkl do this one. A proper tall highrise. please.

Oh nevermind, it's by Pelli. Still, an apartment tower should be interesting.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

interesting. i had always assumed that the east tower would be office and the south tower would be some mix of rental/condo/hotel.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:58 PM
THAT Guy

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear some news about the next tower. I always worry about the later phases of these projects never being realized due to market or developer problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
interesting. i had always assumed that the east tower would be office and the south tower would be some mix of rental/condo/hotel.
This is from Hines' "Experience Record" file dated 6/30/15:

WOLF POINT SOUTH & EAST
Chicago, IL
2,000,000 sq. ft. mixed-use development that will
include:
Wolf Point South - a 1,270,000 sq. ft. office tower that
includes 270,000 sq. ft. of residential space in 150
condos and parking for 280 cars
Wolf Point East - a 600,000 sq. ft. residential tower that
will contain 700 units and parking for 170 cars
Part of Wolf Point development

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:04 PM
BANNED

I'm curious, who would actually want to LIVE right there? It's such a strange location. You're essentially boxed in by Orleans and forced up to either Hubbard, Illinois, or Grand. It seems like such an inconvenience to be cornered like that. Also what's the nearest grocery store? The Jewel over on Desplaines? Again, to get there you have to drive around in a huge circle. I don't know, I was just thinking about how weird of a location this is... but then again I would never live anywhere downtown, so maybe it's just me

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:07 PM
The City

^ I would live there if I didn't have to work in bumblefuck Wisconsin every day and Chicago's school situation wasn't so jacked up.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:32 PM

I'm glad this information finally broke. It was like torture wanting to spill the beans when everyone was complaining about how the towers might not go up and then with the soil testing speculation.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
The Kennedy have decided building another apartment building on the east end of Wolf Point. They aim to break ground on the high-rise by first-quarter 2017.

"Residents have already signed leases for about 30 percent of the apartments in the first Wolf Point tower, a 509-unit building called Wolf Point West that opened in January. About 10 percent of the units are occupied

The second tower will be “significantly larger” than Wolf Point West, Kennedy said, but he did not offer specifics. The zoning agreement that covers Wolf Point allows for a 750-foot tower on the east end of the riverside site, enough for a 60-story apartment building."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...partment-tower

Doesn't 30% leased sound pretty low? I know it only opened a few month ago but still.
Looks like the article disappeared. Very interesting...

EDIT: my mistake, just a bad link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Also what's the nearest grocery store? The Jewel over on Desplaines? Again, to get there you have to drive around in a huge circle.
The tower at Grand and Orleans (Clark and Barlow location) might be dead, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the grocery portion of that plan move forward.

Last edited by r18tdi; Apr 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, who would actually want to LIVE right there? It's such a strange location. You're essentially boxed in by Orleans and forced up to either Hubbard, Illinois, or Grand. It seems like such an inconvenience to be cornered like that. Also what's the nearest grocery store? The Jewel over on Desplaines? Again, to get there you have to drive around in a huge circle. I don't know, I was just thinking about how weird of a location this is... but then again I would never live anywhere downtown, so maybe it's just me
I'm pretty sure it's just you.
On what planet is 5 blocks to a grocery store an inconvenience?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:24 PM

An apartment tower will also allow for a smaller floor plate, which means we could get a more slender tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'm surprised they aren't going condo with at least some of this building, being that it's the furthest east and thus won't have obstructed views
When it's a condo building, you really can't flip it for a profit like a rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear some news about the next tower. I always worry about the later phases of these projects never being realized due to market or developer problems.

This is from Hines' "Experience Record" file dated 6/30/15:

WOLF POINT SOUTH & EAST
Chicago, IL
2,000,000 sq. ft. mixed-use development that will
include:
Wolf Point South - a 1,270,000 sq. ft. office tower that
includes 270,000 sq. ft. of residential space in 150
condos and parking for 280 cars
Wolf Point East - a 600,000 sq. ft. residential tower that
will contain 700 units and parking for 170 cars
Part of Wolf Point development
That's interesting as the entire project is approved for over 3,000,000 square feet...

Last edited by BVictor1; Apr 20, 2016 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Lower Orelans to Kinzie is how I would envision residents getting their cars in and out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction