HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 1:57 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
Signage for the Pomo owned space formerly occupied by Strand in Cityscape went up this weekend. The new restaurant is called Rosso and should be open by the end of February.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...t/69836381007/

I'm not sure why my search only produced a url ID'd as a Cinncinnati hosted location. Must be a parent company of the same source used by azcentral:

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...x/11127119002/
Both papers are owned by Gannet, but it's truly bizarre to imagine that anyone in Cinncinatti would be interested in a Phoenix restaurant (or vice versa).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 7:12 PM

Ton of movement on the foodie front in and around Downtown, here's some updates based on my own observations and keyboard sleuthing:

824 N Central Ave -Central Record Cafe opened in the past week. Looks to have reasonably price food and drink. The New Times describes it '...as a combination record store, radio studio, performance venue, art gallery, and cafe.'

NEC Central and Roosevelt - Teddy's Reserve had a friends/family event this last weekend. Looks like it will be a great spot when it officially opens.

719 E Roosevelt - Dos Pink Tacos is opening into the old Chez Gregory space behind the Circle K.

In the vicinity of 7th Street/Roosevelt - I heard from my Garfield neighbors that Welcome Chicken/Donuts is opening a concept though I have no idea where. They mentioned seeing this on Welcome's social media but I haven't found the post.

SEC of 4th St and Garfield - Spotted a building permit on the corner space of the Wexford Building for a space called 'Xin Chao'

130 N Central Ave - The Liar's Club opened in the old Downtown Deli space

2 N Central Ave - The Trophy Room cocktail bar plans to open adjacent to Wren & Wolf early this year with a separate entrance.

101 E Buchanan Street - According to a permits, will be a 'Church with a cafe'

Union Station - Open permit (ZA-571-22) for something related to dining. Could be an event space.

765 Grand Avenue - Egyptian Motor Hotel opened last week. In addition to lodging, has a restaurant called Chilte, outdoor bar, and stage for live events.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Both papers are owned by Gannet, but it's truly bizarre to imagine that anyone in Cinncinatti would be interested in a Phoenix restaurant (or vice versa).
Maybe because in the last week there was a chance that Cincinnati would be in the Super Bowl?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:12 PM

This weekend I walked past the U.S. Bank Tower (whatever it's called now) and noticed a "Coming in 2023" sign on a 1st floor window announcing the former location of M'OLE' will soon be occupied by Harumi, which recently expanded in their Orpheum Lofts space across the street.

I like this upcoming change for Harumi. It will be great to see them continuing to do what they do best, while hopefully expand their seating and possibly enable bar service while customers can wait inside. I wonder what else Jessica Kim might have in mind with this new location?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
This weekend I walked past the U.S. Bank Tower (whatever it's called now) and noticed a "Coming in 2023" sign on a 1st floor window announcing the former location of M'OLE' will soon be occupied by Harumi, which recently expanded in their Orpheum Lofts space across the street.

I like this upcoming change for Harumi. It will be great to see them continuing to do what they do best, while hopefully expand their seating and possibly enable bar service while customers can wait inside. I wonder what else Jessica Kim might have in mind with this new location?
Super happy for them. As I’ve noted back here before, it’s definitely the best sushi downtown and possibly in all of Phx. They do great for takeout as well.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Super happy for them. As I’ve noted back here before, it’s definitely the best sushi downtown and possibly in all of Phx. They do great for takeout as well.
No argument from me on that. Saw the same on Friday last week. They definitely don't cheat you on the sashimi and premium rolls.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:08 PM

An interior demo permit was issued recently for the old subway on the SEC of Monroe/Central. Looks like Cornish might be expanding into that space.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
An interior demo permit was issued recently for the old subway on the SEC of Monroe/Central. Looks like Cornish might be expanding into that space.
Been waiting for this! That corner is going to look amazing when they remove the stucco or whatever and expose that brick to blend in with the rest of the building.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Been waiting for this! That corner is going to look amazing when they remove the stucco or whatever and expose that brick to blend in with the rest of the building.
Speaking of that, I really hope one day they redo the building that has the Dunkin’ Donuts downtown. Underneath the ugly stucco is a really cool brick building that I believe is the 1893 Gooding Building. You can see it on page 15 and 21 in the Phoenix Past and Present Book. In the 50s they removed the decorative features and stuccoed it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
They've been saying they're going to expand while temporarily using the space as unattractive storage. Like the opening of the current space on Monroe, it has been proceeding at a glacial pace. My understanding is that all their growth is self-financed without loans or credit. From a fiscal point of view, that's admirable, but it does lead to a frustratingly long process as spaces on Monroe sit underulitized during the wait. It will all be good, though, if more stucco is removed and more pasties served.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:59 PM

New Bar Coming to W Van Buren

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Quote:
Instrumental Hospitality, the group behind Belly and Sin Muerte, has teamed up with Chuckie Duff — who has been involved in several downtown Phoenix restaurants, bars and venues like Cobra Arcade Bar, Ziggy’s Pizza and the Crescent Ballroom — to open a new bar called Quartz.

Opening sometime this spring, Quartz will be located in the same building as Gus’s Fried Chicken and State 48 Brewing at 341 W. Van Buren in downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
From the same owner that created Cobra Arcade Bar, should be another strong addition. Just walking around after an event last night I found Coabana at City Scape, super cool Cuban bar/restaurant. I didn't get a chance to try the food but the drinks we're solid.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Unfortunately it seems like some original brick parapets and a couple cartouches are long gone, so while the exposed brick restoration that has happened is much better than it was, I think the original splendor is impossible to get back.

You can see between the 'Cornish' and 'Pasty' where the original cartouche used to be. I'm surprised they didn't make a new one and put it there (it could be new, not a remake of the original... I think the Desoto building did something like that).
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4501...7i16384!8i8192

The City really needs to get a historic facade restoration grant program going... I thought there might be something in the works.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 12:59 PM
self-important urbanista

Announced via Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpneA4Xj2qM/

The Breadfruit is permanently closed. I don't think that news is a surprise, but it's finally confirmed. The restaurant shut its doors three years ago during the mandated pandemic closure and then kept pushing back its reopening date. At least some of the food is now available at Bitter & Twisted, but I'll miss the comfortable, intimate atmosphere of the restaurant and the adjacent rum bar.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Announced via Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpneA4Xj2qM/

The Breadfruit is permanently closed. I don't think that news is a surprise, but it's finally confirmed. The restaurant shut its doors three years ago during the mandated pandemic closure and then kept pushing back its reopening date. At least some of the food is now available at Bitter & Twisted, but I'll miss the comfortable, intimate atmosphere of the restaurant and the adjacent rum bar.
Good potential at that location, with a lot of new residents coming soon in the immediate area. Hopefully something new opens quick.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
But is it going to be more Restaurant or are they going to use it for Kitchen storage like they did on the other side

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Speaking of that, I really hope one day they redo the building that has the Dunkin’ Donuts downtown. Underneath the ugly stucco is a really cool brick building that I believe is the 1893 Gooding Building. You can see it on page 15 and 21 in the Phoenix Past and Present Book. In the 50s they removed the decorative features and stuccoed it.

This appears to be what you're referencing. The photo location was described as the corner of Central and Adams. I had my doubts, but counted windows and then looked at the Heard building. Gooding and Heard both lost some awesome detail at the crown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 7:14 PM

So this is interesting, Wildernesses opening a new brewpub at 1428 E Mcdowel Road only like 2 miles from the Roosevelt location.

I hope they arent closing on Roosevelt.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...oenix-16060189

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
So this is interesting, Wildernesses opening a new brewpub at 1428 E Mcdowel Road only like 2 miles from the Roosevelt location.

I hope they aren't closing on Roosevelt.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...oenix-16060189
I think they bought the place on Roosevelt so I doubt they would walk away from something that appears to be doing so well. I think they need the brewing space and this new lot is big.

I'm a bit surprised about this new location. It's not really close to anything else. I do absolutely love Ollie Vaughn's which is right there.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I think they bought the place on Roosevelt so I doubt they would walk away from something that appears to be doing so well. I think they need the brewing space and this new lot is big.

I'm a bit surprised about this new location. It's not really close to anything else. I do absolutely love Ollie Vaughn's which is right there.
The strip of defunct retail along Mcdowel from 12th street to the 51 has so much potential so I am glad to see this, and the apartments going in nearby

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest