HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Went by The Grid's construction site this week and it looks like they erected a crane back on site- so maybe construction is commencing again. So this one may get going just in time for the next housing collapse!
They were back to work today when I went by--was nice to see.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:47 PM

Developers Dislike Proposed Mesa Drive-thru Rules

Sharing in this thread as there has been some debate in the past whether fast food restaurant drive-thrus are a nuisance, especially in a downtown or midtown setting. Wouldn't mind something similar in DTPHX.

Mesa is proposing making some interesting zoning changes to limit drive-thrus...

https://azbex.com/local-news/develop...ve-thru-rules/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Sharing in this thread as there has been some debate in the past whether fast food restaurant drive-thrus are a nuisance, especially in a downtown or midtown setting. Wouldn't mind something similar in DTPHX.

Mesa is proposing making some interesting zoning changes to limit drive-thrus...

https://azbex.com/local-news/develop...ve-thru-rules/
It's interesting that Mesa seems to be proposing uniform rules for the entirety of the vast area wthin its boundaires. It might make more sense for downtown Mesa and the light rail corridor to be subject to stricter limits on drive-thrus than outlying areas like Eastmark.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:39 AM

Nice apartment building on the north end of Downtown chandler.

Quote:
he Chandler City Council adopted the provisions of a development agreement and purchase agreement between One Chandler Owner, LLC and the City of Chandler at their meeting on Oct. 27. The agreement is for the sale and redevelopment of nearly 1.7 acres of City-owned property located at the NEC of Arizona Avenue and Buffalo Street, known as Site 7. This parcel is currently vacant and used for parking.

In December 2021, Jackson Dearborn Partners, now known as One Chandler Owner, LLC, acquired the parcels immediately north and adjacent to Site 7. The City Council directed staff to begin negotiations with One Chandler Owner, LLC, for a development agreement that would assemble Site 7 and the parcels immediately north, allowing for a more robust, mixed-use project.

The development agreement includes a proposed 290 units of housing, 13KSF of office space, 16KSF of retail space and a self-contained parking structure.

Per the agreement, the City will sell Site 7 to One Chandler Owner, LLC, for its appraised value of $2.94M. Deadlines within the development agreement include the commencement of construction no later than 24 months from the effective date of the agreement and the completion of construction no later than 54 months after the effective date.

One Chandler Owner, LLC, has also agreed to improve the alleys between the project and Jack in the Box, located at 141 N. Arizona Avenue. Should One Chandler Owner, LLC, not fulfill the obligations of the agreement, the City has the right to reacquire Site 7.

These agreements allow for the sale of the land. The project will need to go through the planning process, including public comment and approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council before construction will begin. (Source)
https://azbex.com/planning-developme...ent-agreement/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 8:30 PM

Heritage park

I went by downtown Gilbert and saw that the Heritage park site was fenced off and wrapped.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpud0 View Post
I went by downtown Gilbert and saw that the Heritage park site was fenced off and wrapped.
The lot has been closed and fenced for over 2 months now, not sure what's with the delay....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:25 PM

LGES’ Queen Creek Plant May Move Forward

Positive development here...project had been put on pause.

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...-move-forward/

Quote:
After spending the second half of 2022 in limbo as LG Energy Solution paused to reevaluate its investment due to the current state of the market, events since the first of the year strongly indicate the company’s Queen Creek battery plant project will move forward.

AZBEX was first to report on both the initial agreement between LGES, its subsidiary ES America LLC, the Town of Queen Creek and Pinal County to bring the project, with a total estimated valuation of $2.8B, to a 650-acre site at Germann Road and Ironwood Drive. We were also first to report when LGES put the project on hold. Following is a brief recap of 2022 events concerning the project:
  • LGES, Queen Creek and Pinal County enter a development agreement concerning the plant, surrounding infrastructure and the development of a job training center. (AZBEX; March 18, 2022)
  • Arizona Commerce Authority, Queen Creek and Pinal County confirm the plan in a press release on April 19, with an initial planned investment set at $1.4B.
  • LGES pays $84.44M for the planned plant site in an Arizona State Trust Land auction. (AZBEX; April 25, 2022)
  • AZBEX reports contractors’ disclosures that the project has been put on hold. (AZBEX; June 24, 2022)
  • LGES confirms the project’s On Hold status, citing increased investment costs due to global inflation and a drop in the value of South Korean currency. (AZBEX; July 8, 2022)
  • As late as this January, LGES was still listing the project as On Hold, saying no decision had been made and the company was continuing to evaluate its position. (AZBEX; Jan. 11)
2 Recent Developments Show Progress

Just a couple of weeks after the January status confirmation, however, ES America LLC issued a sworn certification to the Arizona Commerce Authority that it intends to make at least $50M in capital investments to build the facility.

The certification is required under Arizona state law, specifically, A.R. S. § 42-5032.02, which covers definitions for “Distribution of revenues for city, town or county infrastructure improvements related to manufacturing facilities.”

Three days before that certification, LGES disclosed in an earnings call that it was once again pressing for the Queen Creek plant’s construction, citing discussions with Tesla about possibly producing batteries there for the electric vehicle company. A Jan. 30 article in Business Korea, quoted industry insiders as saying Tesla likely requested LGES to supply batteries from Queen Creek based on domestic production requirements to qualify for funds distributed under the federal Inflation Reduction Act. Among multiple other programs, the IRA allocates $13B for electric vehicle incentives and $37B for advanced manufacturing.

The article quoted an unidentified industrial official as saying, “Even at the time of announcing the review, LG Energy Solution was not considering scratching off the investment plan. I understand that the company adjusted the details of its plan, such as the size of the plant and mass production timing, during the review process due to changes in the business environment. It will restart the project sooner or later, I think. With the implementation of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), demand for cylindrical products has risen further, and orders keep coming from customers, I heard. The size of LG Energy Solution’s investment may expand further.”

In its Feb. 15 meeting, the Town of Queen Creek approved an Intergovernmental Agreement with the Arizona Department of Revenue to reimburse the Town for $30M of the estimated $80M it expects to spend on road, wastewater and water infrastructure improvements under the initial development agreement for the LGES plant.

Quoting the Queen Creek Town Council agenda:

As per the development agreement, the Town agreed to construct and install regional public improvements including streets, water, and wastewater infrastructure. These infrastructure improvements, which are necessary for the project, will also improve transportation access in this key area and be the catalyst for additional employment development.

One potential funding source for the required public infrastructure improvements includes revenues distributed from the Arizona Department of Revenue under A.R.S. § 42- 5032.02 (Attachment C). Under A.R.S. § 42-5032.02, the Arizona State Treasurer is authorized to direct up to $100M in transaction privilege tax (TPT) revenue collected from contractors engaged in the construction of improvements at a qualified manufacturing facility and related public infrastructure improvements. This revenue can reimburse a city, town or county for up to 80 percent of the cost of the public infrastructure improvements associated to the qualified manufacturing facility.

The LGES facility meets these qualifications. Additionally, pursuant to A.R.S. § 42-5032.02, LGES has submitted a sworn certification to the Arizona Commerce Authority stating it will exceed the minimum statutory requirement for $50M in capital investments at its new manufacturing campus in Queen Creek, in order to qualify the Town for the reimbursement program (Attachment D).

The complete list of infrastructure improvements is available here.

Also, according to the agenda report:

By entering into this IGA the Town will have the ability to receive money for public infrastructure improvements that would eventually have been completed anyway, but the Town and the residents will see the benefit of the improvements sooner and with reimbursement due to this program for qualified manufacturing facilities.

The term of the IGA is limited by the statute to either the date which the total maximum reimbursement of $100M is reached for all qualifying manufacturing facilities in the state, or September 30, 2033, whichever occurs first.

The Arizona State Treasurer can reimburse a total of $100M in sales tax revenues collected from contractors for infrastructure improvements for all local governments across the state. The total payout to Queen Creek will depend on how many other qualified reimbursements are issued first.

Regardless of the eventual outcome or possible changes to the scale of the LGES plant, Queen Creek will be able to make an entire range of infrastructure improvements that will serve its economic development goals across an entire area it has long sought to build up as a home for future industrial uses.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:39 AM

Fiesta Mall Redevelopment

HAHAHA FINALLY, I actually talked to mayor awhile back about what was going to replace fiesta mall. He alluded to the word "Apple" but obviously those plans never worked out.

I like this plan but I wish it was more walkable and maybe some form of mass transit, I know the streetcar is planned to make its way down there.

Check out the article.
https://roselawgroupreporter.com/202...o-fiesta-mall/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:39 AM

Fiesta Mall

Plans for Fiesta Mall

Quote:
Developer Verde Investments filed pre-submittal documents to the city of Mesa earlier this month to redevelop the site into new retail, up to 4,000 multifamily units, flex office and open green space. Plans submitted so far don't include the exact square footage of the new development.
https://www.abc15.com/news/business/...a-mall-in-mesa

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:24 PM

LG Energy Solution will invest $5.5B in Queen Creek battery complex

Nice!! I'm glad this worked out. Another $5.5B being pumped into the economy. Amazing, it's just a domino effect now...

https://azbigmedia.com/business/lg-e...ttery-complex/

Quote:
LG Energy Solution today announced it will invest approximately $5.5 billion to construct a battery manufacturing complex in Queen Creek, Arizona. The complex will consist of two manufacturing facilities - one for cylindrical batteries for electric vehicles (EV) and another for lithium iron phosphate (LFP) pouch-type batteries for energy storage systems (ESS).

It marks the largest single investment ever for a stand-alone battery manufacturing facility in North America. It is also more than four times the amount the company initially announced last year (KRW 1.7 trillion) to manufacture cylindrical EV batteries in the same location.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Nice!! I'm glad this worked out. Another $5.5B being pumped into the economy. Amazing, it's just a domino effect now...

https://azbigmedia.com/business/lg-e...ttery-complex/
wow that's huge. i live in the area and it's incredible how much industrial space is coming online in the Williams-Gateway area...they have big plans for that airport apparently, at least as a freight hub.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:40 PM

Can someone familiar with Mesa please help me out here... didn't the City have a project a couple years ago that was supposed to demolish the retrofitted covered walkways and arcades they put up in front of all of the buildings years ago, and restore the historic storefronts downtown along Main Street? In looking at streetview real quick (11/2022 imagery), nothing looks different from my untrained eye. Thanks for any info.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:54 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Can someone familiar with Mesa please help me out here... didn't the City have a project a couple years ago that was supposed to demolish the retrofitted covered walkways and arcades they put up in front of all of the buildings years ago, and restore the historic storefronts downtown along Main Street? In looking at streetview real quick (11/2022 imagery), nothing looks different from my untrained eye. Thanks for any info.
It's expected to happen in 2024. I have mixed feelings about the project. To me, shade is more important than archtiectural history. If they go forward, I hope they come up with something that provides as least as much shade as what will be lost.

This article is paywalled:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...s/69890445007/

But here are few highlights:

Adding a shade structure to the storefront will be required to qualify for city help on other improvements, such as paint jobs, windows, patio upgrades and more. Anything inside the building isn’t eligible for improvements.

Staff plans to select contractors this summer, do design throughout the year and begin construction at the start of 2024.

Removing the beige low stucco colonnades from the Mesa’s downtown sidewalks are a top priority for McVay and his team. “The colonnades are an amazing idea but poorly executed,” he said.

The shade structures aren’t historic or original to the buildings but rather part of a 1980s project the City Council approved to bring shade to downtown.

The colonnades also created a long-term headache for the city because they created an obligation to maintain them. About inch of space separates the colonnades from the buildings.

The 1980s council didn’t set a side rolling funds for the upkeep, so the city only spends money on colonnades when a problem needs to be addressed. The shade structures created a dark storefront and hid the historic architecture of the 50- to 100-year-old buildings.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's expected to happen in 2024. I have mixed feelings about the project. To me, shade is more important than archtiectural history. If they go forward, I hope they come up with something that provides as least as much shade as what will be lost.

This article is paywalled:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...s/69890445007/

But here are few highlights:

Adding a shade structure to the storefront will be required to qualify for city help on other improvements, such as paint jobs, windows, patio upgrades and more. Anything inside the building isn’t eligible for improvements.

Staff plans to select contractors this summer, do design throughout the year and begin construction at the start of 2024.

Removing the beige low stucco colonnades from the Mesa’s downtown sidewalks are a top priority for McVay and his team. “The colonnades are an amazing idea but poorly executed,” he said.

The shade structures aren’t historic or original to the buildings but rather part of a 1980s project the City Council approved to bring shade to downtown.

The colonnades also created a long-term headache for the city because they created an obligation to maintain them. About inch of space separates the colonnades from the buildings.

The 1980s council didn’t set a side rolling funds for the upkeep, so the city only spends money on colonnades when a problem needs to be addressed. The shade structures created a dark storefront and hid the historic architecture of the 50- to 100-year-old buildings.
Thanks for the update and information. Shade is important, of course, but these are horrible and uninviting. I think having the architecturally interesting historic storefronts would be better for the interest, pedestrian activity, and businesses in the area.

Where would you rather patronize and hang out by? This:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4150...7i16384!8i8192

Or this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4151...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 5:53 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Thanks for the update and information. Shade is important, of course, but these are horrible and uninviting. I think having the architecturally interesting historic storefronts would be better for the interest, pedestrian activity, and businesses in the area.

Where would you rather patronize and hang out by? This:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4150...7i16384!8i8192

Or this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4151...7i16384!8i8192

Right now, I would have a slight preference for the former.
In two or three months, I'll have a strong preference for the latter.

I'm okay with both in terms of appearance. The aesthetics of the colonnades have never bothered me. I hope a way is found to blend the best of both approaches.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 11:02 PM

Yeah, I kind of like the colonnades, but that's partly because I grew up in Mesa in the 80s and 90s so it's all I've known.

I wouldn't mind if they did it piecemeal, replacing the colonnades wherever a building owner wants to do historic renovations, but keeping the rest in the mean time.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 10:18 PM

Nobody posted this but the LG battery plant is ON and even bigger now:

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...k-plant-plans/

Quote:
LG Energy Solution has announced it will invest a total of $5.5B to build a battery manufacturing complex in Queen Creek.

The complex will consist of two manufacturing facilities – one for cylindrical batteries for electric vehicles and another for lithium iron phosphate pouch-type batteries for energy storage systems. The investment represents the largest single investment ever for a stand-alone battery manufacturing facility in North America.

“With this historic investment from LGES, Arizona has become the battery manufacturing capital of the country,” said Governor Katie Hobbs. “These Arizona-made batteries will power green, sustainable technologies around the world, cementing Arizona’s reputation as an innovation hub for renewable energy. We’re grateful to LGES for their legacy investment and for committing to making thousands of good-paying jobs for Arizonans.”

The $5.5B is nearly four times the initially announced investment of $1.4B. The company plans to invest $3.2B to build a cylindrical battery manufacturing facility for EV with a capacity of 27 GWh. LGES also plans to invest $2.3B in a LFP pouch-type battery facility for ESS with a capacity of 16 GWh. Both facilities, totaling 43 GWh, are expected to break ground this year and lead to the creation of thousands of new jobs.

“We couldn’t be more excited that LGES has chosen to expand their initial investment four-fold with plans to construct another high-tech manufacturing facility,” said Sandra Watson, President and CEO, Arizona Commerce Authority. “We are immensely grateful to CEO Youngsoo Kwon and the entire team at LG Energy Solution for their continued commitment to Arizona. My thanks also to all our partners who played a special role in this project, especially Governor Hobbs, Pinal County, Town of Queen Creek, Senator Kelly, Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry, GPEC and SRP. This has been a tremendous team effort and we look forward to this transformational project breaking ground.”

The new cylindrical battery manufacturing facility aims to start mass production of 2170 cells in 2025, mainly for EV makers in North America. It is the first-ever U.S. cylindrical battery manufacturing facility solely invested by a Korean battery manufacturer.

The company’s new manufacturing facilities will utilize a state-of-the-art smart factory system that carries out all decision making on machine-produced data. By implementing this key measure to enhance product quality, the Arizona facilities will aim to increase yield, improve manufacturing processes, and boost productivity to respond better to the ever-rising battery demands in the region. (Source)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 8:02 PM

Does anyone know what is going to be built next to Sycamore Station in Mesa? I know years ago it was suppose to be an affordable housing project but then that fell through. I know another developer was working on a larger mixed use project but assumed that fell thru too? I went by this weekend and the whole lot has been scraped and fenced right next to the bus bays!

I know to the north of the Safeway on the other side of the block they are building market rate apartments.

Chicanos por la causa has a new banner up for the Bailey's corner at Country Club and Main...so construction soon maybe?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Does anyone know what is going to be built next to Sycamore Station in Mesa? I know years ago it was suppose to be an affordable housing project but then that fell through. I know another developer was working on a larger mixed use project but assumed that fell thru too? I went by this weekend and the whole lot has been scraped and fenced right next to the bus bays!

I know to the north of the Safeway on the other side of the block they are building market rate apartments.

Chicanos por la causa has a new banner up for the Bailey's corner at Country Club and Main...so construction soon maybe?
I believe that's 'OViO' at Sycamore Station:

222 units, 6 stories total, 4 of apartments over 2 of parking.

On the Bailey's lot at Country Club, I saw that signage too, and I thought it was new, but I couldn't remember well enough to be sure. Looks like on the Mesa development map they're shown as in review for a building permit, so maybe this time it's for real.

https://gis.mesaaz.gov/storymaps/developmentsites/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:47 PM

Nice redevelopment proposed for the southeast corner of Main and Country Club right by the light rail. Would be nice if the Bailey's Corner breaks ground at the same time.

file:///C:/Users/HP-MINI-PC-JOE/Downloads/Conceptual%20Drawings.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest