HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Is there any Western country that is still living under Covid restrictions? Beyond maybe masking in specific circumstances? I haven't seen anything out of Australia in awhile, but I figured if life is completely back to normal in Ontario then everyone else must be as well.
Portugal just dropped its indoor mask requirement, but still requires them on public transportation and in taxis. I am going next week (and renting a car).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Portugal just dropped its indoor mask requirement, but still requires them on public transportation and in taxis. I am going next week (and renting a car).
Quebec still has mask mandates and Ontario still has it for hospitals (understandable given the disease still physically exists tbh) and Transit.

For Ontario they expire June 11th, and suspect they will actually expire then.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm in Florida and you would never know there was a Covid. And damn, it was nice not having to wear a mask on the plane.
I was in Florida a few weeks ago and coming from Ontario, probably one of the COVID-strictest places on the continent, it was a... change. It really felt normal.

Restrictions are basically entirely gone here now and don't seem to be coming back, but many people are still wearing masks everywhere and I have family members who still get very freaked out by COVID positive tests, etc. It was odd going to Florida where it basically felt like 2019 other than maybe 1 in 100 people in the grocery store wearing a mask.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:03 PM

I think the only place in NY that still has a mandate is public transit, which means the rule is now arbitrary and stupid. Yesterday I was on a subway car with about 20 people (thus fairly empty) and 90% of the people weren't wearing a mask. But mask usage is typically close to 100% when the cars are crowded.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I was in Florida a few weeks ago and coming from Ontario, probably one of the COVID-strictest places on the continent, it was a... change. It really felt normal.

Restrictions are basically entirely gone here now and don't seem to be coming back, but many people are still wearing masks everywhere and I have family members who still get very freaked out by COVID positive tests, etc. It was odd going to Florida where it basically felt like 2019 other than maybe 1 in 100 people in the grocery store wearing a mask.
I was going to say the opposite in that I now notice very little difference traveling between Toronto, New York, and even Texas (where I was two weeks ago briefly).

This time last year, going to Miami felt like visiting a different planet. Now, there seems to be but a few holdouts still living in the 2020/2021 mindset.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Very few wearing masks here and most of them are probably retired tourists; Mildred and Stan (who miss their grandkids back in Cleveland) but need a few days to get shit faced by the pool, lay out in the sun and eat shitty overpriced seafood. Those folks..

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 8:14 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think the only place in NY that still has a mandate is public transit, which means the rule is now arbitrary and stupid. Yesterday I was on a subway car with about 20 people (thus fairly empty) and 90% of the people weren't wearing a mask. But mask usage is typically close to 100% when the cars are crowded.
Yeah, it's closer to 40-50% compliance now. I didn't wear my mask for the first time yesterday, mainly because I was only going two stops anyway. We don't need to wear a mask anymore in the office, and maybe 15% still wear them. So it feels natural not to wear masks in other situations.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Apparently this BA.2 is spreading in PA but I don't think anybody cares. Rarely see folks wear masks. Which is good because it will spread quicker. Something like 85 percent of the population had one dose and about 70% fully vaxxed... so we should be good.

Warm weather is out so nobody cares anymore here.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:41 PM

Portland still has a few mask stragglers. Covid has killed the downtown economy tho. So many empty storefronts. Wfh has crippled civic culture. Way to go introverts.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Portland still has a few mask stragglers. Covid has killed the downtown economy tho. So many empty storefronts. Wfh has crippled civic culture. Way to go introverts.
Somewhat predictably, Manhattan seems to be entering a boom. Many of the storefronts that were emptied out by the pandemic are now under renovation.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I'm surprised it's down to a few 'stragglers' there. I'd figure there would still be quite a few..

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:03 PM
你的媽媽

Looks like SF is taking another pandemic-induced remote work office draining hit.

425 Market pictured in the middle.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/425-...o-CA/16847513/

Quote:
PayPal shuttering its San Francisco office
Mary Ann Azevedo @bayareawriter / 11:56 AM PDT•April 27, 2022

PayPal is shuttering its San Francisco office as it evaluates its global office footprint.

Multiple sources say the payments giant is closing its San Francisco office on 425 Market St. which housed its Xoom business unit. PayPal acquired Xoom, which is focused on online money transfer technology and services, in 2015.

A person familiar with internal happenings at the company said the employees that worked out of that office will work virtually with the ability to work from the company’s headquarters office in San Jose. It is unclear how many employees are affected by the decision.

An individual who commented on a post on the topic on the anonymous professional network, Blind, speculated that the reason behind the move could be San Francisco’s Prop C, which levied a tax upon any San Francisco business that earns more than $50 million in gross receipts. Proceeds are to be directed toward housing and services in an attempt to address the city’s challenges with homelessness.
https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/27/pa...ncisco-office/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:09 PM

^Wasn't Elon just telling everybody to get back to the office? That's ironic.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:12 PM
The City

But....but.....but.....but......

Is it safe to get together again? I hear that case levels of the common cold are rising!!

We still have.......

.....wait for it....

....wait for it....

....wait for it....

COVID

CONCERNS!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:15 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
^Wasn't Elon just telling everybody to get back to the office? That's ironic.
He only bought Twitter as far as I know, not Paypal. I suspect he'll move Twitter HQ to Austin though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
He only bought Twitter as far as I know, not Paypal. I suspect he'll move Twitter HQ to Austin though.
He founded PayPal.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:17 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
But....but.....but.....but......

Is it safe to get together again? I hear that case levels of the common cold are rising!!

We still have.......

.....wait for it....

....wait for it....

....wait for it....

COVID

CONCERNS!!!!!!

I don't think it's concerns for Covid though. I think people just don't want to go back to the office and a good portion probably don't need to be.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm surprised it's down to a few 'stragglers' there. I'd figure there would still be quite a few..
Nah. Portland is 50 percent midwesterners. Its way more conventional here than most residents want to admit. Shut in kids seem to be wearing masks the most.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
He founded PayPal.
I don't think he's been involved with it for several decades at this point though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:20 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I don't think it's concerns for Covid though. I think people just don't want to go back to the office and a good portion probably don't need to be.
If everything can be done on the computer and the company can save money with less people at the building...they are gonna do it. Consider the savings for the government too by having people work from home.
For TUP it boils down to jealousy, while others will worry about the urban fabric, transit usage, and people walking around downtown. Which is ok...this is an urbanist forum!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions