HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #47821  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:34 PM
Jibba's Avatar
Jibba Jibba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Archer is not worse than Milwaukee Ave between Wabansia and California was before the TOD boom. That area was a brownfield shithole just ten years ago. McKinnley has a gigantic park and largest warehouse stock in the city. The appealing thing to me is the CMD, if that is redeveloped then the whole area becomes wild. Also the Chinese are slapping up new developments everywhere.
Development along that stretch had decades of momentum behind it coming at it from both sides. I don't see Archer as totally analogous.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47822  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:53 PM
IrishIllini IrishIllini is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,114
Anyone have any update on JDL's plans for the Moody sites? Having a hard time believing we'll see anything with significant height west of Wells...or even on it. I want to have high hopes, but I'm cautiously pessimistic

It'd be great to see some height so that skyline north of Chicago and west of LaSalle doesn't just fall off. Should absolutely be some height on Wells and Orleans. Orleans has the bones to be framed quite nicely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47823  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:34 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Anyone have any update on JDL's plans for the Moody sites? Having a hard time believing we'll see anything with significant height west of Wells...or even on it. I want to have high hopes, but I'm cautiously pessimistic

It'd be great to see some height so that skyline north of Chicago and west of LaSalle doesn't just fall off. Should absolutely be some height on Wells and Orleans. Orleans has the bones to be framed quite nicely.
Speak of the devil, the city announced today that they're hosting a community engagement with JDL about North Union. They're planning "2,680 residential units, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and approximately 1.3 acres of public open space". High-rises are still the plan, with some mid- and low-rises. More info here: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html


JDL mentioned last month that neighbors were surprisingly receptive of the plan, even as the tallest building would be 50-stories, so I'm cautiously optimistic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47824  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:38 PM
Jibba's Avatar
Jibba Jibba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Speak of the devil, the city announced today that they're hosting a community engagement with JDL about North Union. They're planning "2,680 residential units, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and approximately 1.3 acres of public open space". High-rises are still the plan, with some mid- and low-rises. More info here: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html


JDL mentioned last month that neighbors were surprisingly receptive of the plan, even as the tallest building would be 50-stories, so I'm cautiously optimistic

I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47825  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:53 PM
CrazyCres's Avatar
CrazyCres CrazyCres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Behind You
Posts: 256
November 12th, 6 p.m

Mark your calendars
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47826  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:32 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).
Well, I'd recommend not assuming it will be the same, considering that it's not just a different company/developer, but also the fact that this is a PD and not individual buildings done piecemeal by separate developers. The need to comment or make judgement on something without having seen it first is a bit baffling to me. To each their own, I guess.
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47827  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:56 PM
Briguy Briguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 26
It’s not THAT bad, onni put retail down wells and an aldi isn’t the worst.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47828  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:03 PM
Goose Island Guru Goose Island Guru is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
It’s not THAT bad, onni put retail down wells and an aldi isn’t the worst.
If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a Treasure Island prior to the company going bankrupt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47829  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:24 AM
nergie nergie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 427
Moody's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...=hero-readmore
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47830  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:48 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,734
Well they have plenty of land. Ideally they would masterplan a "focal point" in the development where they could build a few restaurant sites. If they're willing to get creative with the streets, maybe they could do a little pocket park/plaza or boulevard.

I think the only "larger" development to go through the new DPD process (under Commissioner Cox instead of Reifman) is LG's project at 1143 W Lake, but the planning documents for that are pretty encouraging. Lots of attention paid to pedestrian connections, small and large scale public space, activation, etc. Cox himself weighed in on one of my projects, a small restaurant buildout, so he's got his fingers in everything - I think he's trying to shape things for the better.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47831  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:10 AM
CrazyCres's Avatar
CrazyCres CrazyCres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Behind You
Posts: 256


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47832  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:34 AM
Fvn Fvn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 680
It's JDL so that might actually be what we end up getting. They haven't swayed too much from original renderings in their past projects. That being said this is also way bigger than anything they've ever done before.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47833  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:37 AM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 571
Well that looks nice.

Still a lot of parking lots and open space near Cabrini Green to turn this area in a more dense, integrated neighborhood.

Build another L stop at Division.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47834  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:58 AM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Well that looks nice.

Still a lot of parking lots and open space near Cabrini Green to turn this area in a more dense, integrated neighborhood.

Build another L stop at Division.
The site plan listed on the city's website shows that a future Division stop is in the works


https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47835  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:01 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,828
These are placeholder designs but at least the streetgrid is already there, so perhaps not much infrastructure construction will be needed.

I like that they will keep a streetwall on Wells.

I personally would rather see the taller towers on the south of the site. But I guess they want to preserve maximal views (and hence $$) by putting taller towers on the north
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47836  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:05 AM
Jibba's Avatar
Jibba Jibba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well, I'd recommend not assuming it will be the same, considering that it's not just a different company/developer, but also the fact that this is a PD and not individual buildings done piecemeal by separate developers. The need to comment or make judgement on something without having seen it first is a bit baffling to me. To each their own, I guess.
I’d love to be wrong, believe me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47837  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:24 AM
Bombardier Bombardier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
It's JDL so that might actually be what we end up getting. They haven't swayed too much from original renderings in their past projects. That being said this is also way bigger than anything they've ever done before.
It is also over a significantly longer time period than they have done before. I think they will be able to pull it off just fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47838  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:02 AM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC -> Chicago -> Oakland
Posts: 7,344
Nm

Last edited by OhioGuy; Oct 27, 2020 at 3:03 AM. Reason: post removed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47839  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:15 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,734
Interesting they’re not punching Franklin through to Oak, Oak will be an important street linking to North/Clybourn area and Lake Shore Drive whenever they rebuild the block through Cabrini site.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47840  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:24 AM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,184
BVictor1 made a North Union thread, let's move the discussion there: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244410
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.