HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:39 PM

How about something in-between? A Canadian dollar between .80 - .85 US. Could we call that the Goldilocks zone for the Canadian dollar?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'll take the current CAD, please. Business can more easily acquire the goods, services and equipment they need to be competitive and raise productivity.

A low CAD just encourages Canadian business to act like a big maquiladora that focuses on supplying cheap labour and goods. Canada is better off with a dollar closer to par with the USD than with the 60 cent dollars of 12-14 years ago.
I'll second that, the myth that Canada needs a lower dollar to compete is bunk, increasing productivity and NOT hiding behind a low dollar is what companies need to strive for. How a country can prosper by hoping for a devaluation of its currency is plain LOONIE!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 1:49 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'll second that, the myth that Canada needs a lower dollar to compete is bunk, increasing productivity and NOT hiding behind a low dollar is what companies need to strive for. How a country can prosper by hoping for a devaluation of its currency is plain LOONIE!
When you are selling commodities on an exchange that uses USD as its trading currency a low loonie is actually pretty nice.

During 2009 I was working for a VERY large Canadian oil and gas company and they were looking to cut costs to the tune of one billion dollars for the following year. As it worked out the dollar dropped by a few cents that year and covered about 850 million of that 1 billion.

A low dollar also encourages more people to buy Canadian made products instead of higher priced imports from the US.

The lower dollar also encourages foreign (namely US) investment as their dollar goes further here.

There are lots of positive impacts that a lower CAD has for Canada.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 2:45 PM

^ No question that a low $ is nice if you're in the commodities export biz. But that is a rather narrow view of what is beneficial for the entire country.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:40 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
^ No question that a low $ is nice if you're in the commodities export biz. But that is a rather narrow view of what is beneficial for the entire country.
You might want to take a look at what sectors make up a large portion of the Canadian economy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
You might want to take a look at what sectors make up a large portion of the Canadian economy.
I'm not convinced that relying on the extraction and sale of non-renewable resources at the lowest possible price is the best path to long-term prosperity.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 4:23 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
I'm not convinced that relying on the extraction and sale of non-renewable resources at the lowest possible price is the best path to long-term prosperity.
Well then, don't apply for any jobs with the Alberta provincial government, nor the federal government.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Don't forget agriculture.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Lowest possible price? Care to elaborate?

Selling commodities through venues like the CME, NYMEX or ICE would indicate that you are selling at the lowest AND highest possible price.

We sell a LOT of renewable resources as well.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Lowest possible price? Care to elaborate?

Selling commodities through venues like the CME, NYMEX or ICE would indicate that you are selling at the lowest AND highest possible price.

We sell a LOT of renewable resources as well.
Price of production, not market price. A low dollar will certainly help encourage energy production but in the long run there is more to be gained by a higher dollar that lets Canadian businesses acquire the equipment and talent they need to be more competitive on a global basis.

Relying on a depressed dollar as a de facto protectionist measure is a pretty banana republic kind of way to build your economy. Canada should aim a little bit higher than that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:12 AM

A low Canadian dollar discourages innovation and breeds lazyness if you are a manufacturer.

I remember working for a Mfr. when the dollar was $0.60. We were forever worried about hedging and exchange. In one year the net income was pretty much what we made off exchange gain. The dollar went up and the company had to downsize and almost closed their doors because they couldn't compete on a level playing field.

As a re-seller, a high canadian dollar is preferred as that means the input costs are less.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 4:07 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Relying on a depressed dollar as a de facto protectionist measure is a pretty banana republic kind of way to build your economy. Canada should aim a little bit higher than that.
We should. But that would take effort. It's much easier to sit back, unemployed, and wait for the US economy to do well again so our dollar will drop and we can get back to producing simple, non-innovative products for them at our well-paying factory jobs with our grade 10 educations.

This is of course coming from someone in a region that "thrives" on a low dollar (even though we hit our economic low point at the same time the Loonie did) so I might be biased.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:05 PM

If you consider what Canadians are actually good at, I'm skeptical that trying to compete with the US, Germany, and China at a high dollar is a good idea in the present time. In fact, it strikes me as naive and almost dangerous since Canadian 'innovation' in the face of globalization pressure is to move operations to another country, or downsize to the point where domestic investment throws up their hands and practically gives the company to a foreign investor.

Unfortunately, what I would like to see - exploiting what we are good at to boost research and subsidize long-term comparative advantage - is limited by both our decentralized government and Canadians' tendency to want the stale doughnut.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:21 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

be interesting to see what happens being it has a surface lot next to it

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Very good time to sell, especially since it is almost fully leased.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Very good time to sell, especially since it is almost fully leased.
What went in the top where Canwest was?

I remember way back Midland Walwin had the top floor.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
What went in the top where Canwest was?

I remember way back Midland Walwin had the top floor.
RBC Dominion Securities ... that's what got them signage rights to the building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 2:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg company nears production on projection toy 0

BY DAVID LARKINS ,WINNIPEG SUN
FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 08, 2014 05:26 PM CST

Less than five months after revealing an ambitious project its creators boldly believe is an industry revolution, a local company is now one giant leap closer to having its product on toy-store shelves.

Winnipeg's Po-Mo, Inc., which last September revealed an interactive projection toy that could virtually turn a room into a playground, has been invited to Highway 1, a hardware accelerator program in San Francisco designed to help companies turn their prototypes into retail realities.

Po-Mo, Inc., CEO Meghan Athavale, along with a team of hardware developers with the company, will head to California for a four-month session starting March 10, with the goals of having their LUMO toy on shelves by Christmas.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/0...projection-toy

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 2:56 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

They have had something like that at Cross Iron Mills mall in Calgary for years now.

Not sure what makes that one something new?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan