HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:11 PM

Like I said, pictures don’t do this beauty justice. That video is living proof. Now if you haven’t seen it in person, save your judgement until you do.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 11:57 PM

Feb 16

The louvers abide

Another example of a mech floor that ( at the time ) everyone ganged up on.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:11 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Another example of a mech floor that ( at the time ) everyone ganged up on.
I see what you did there...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
It'd be cool if the exterior of the blow through floor had this pattern and it was lined with lights (that could change color like JHC)

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:43 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
It'd be cool if the exterior of the blow through floor had this pattern and it was lined with lights (that could change color like JHC)
If there was a way to avoid residents being bothered by the diffuse emission it might make sense...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I have been thinking exactly that as well. It's such a distinctive motif that could be used more extensively (blow through + louvers) that would better integrate the those and make them look less out-of-place/like an afterthought or necessary evil. Not so sure about the lighting...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:58 AM
1st Ward

I have some vague recollection that the city does not allow illumination of blow through floors for whatever reason. Otherwise I think that's a great idea.

Edit: Yes, I remembered correctly:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/17...-design-update

Quote:
These sorts of wind breaks are not uncommon on very tall and very slender skyscrapers. New York’s 432 Park Avenue utilizes five such gaps across its 1,396-foot elevation. With the Manhattan supertall, however, these spaces were always part of the plan so they double as mechanical floors and feature attractive nighttime lighting.

This will not be the case with Vista’s blow-through floor. According to CAB, by law the space cannot be illuminated. The result is likely to appear as a dark horizontal band across the Studio Gang/bKL-designed building’s uppermost extremity.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 7:23 PM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The article is about one of the tallest, very expensive, new (it has only been occupied for 5 - 6 years) celebrated examples of poor design

on "billionaires row" and how many extremely rich people are becoming fed-up with its problems.

It is as much about the poverty of celebrity judgement as it is about the building which is now the epitome of the blow-through

necessitating bad design.

After huge amounts of controversy associated with 432 Park during its creation and in its short occupancy, it is becoming the "hanging

chad" of design.

The now-formerly-known-as-Vista building may come off better because it isn't as tall and it has a large base, but the blow-through style

belongs in the dustbin.
Agreed.

It should also be pointed out that this is the second major tower with a critically flawed design in Chicago that was done by Studio Gang. I really think they have no business designing tall towers and I'm not sure how they keep getting clients.

That blow-through is embarrassing, how the hell do you make an oversight like that?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:28 PM

^ I assume you're referring to Aqua as the other tower with a flawed design?

What exactly is the flaw on Aqua? The 2-floor mechanical level with missing balcony? (Seen pictured above)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ I assume you're referring to Aqua as the other tower with a flawed design?

What exactly is the flaw on Aqua? The 2-floor mechanical level with missing balcony? (Seen pictured above)
The fact that it loses heat like crazy because of how it was designed. It's like a giant radiator.

https://architecturefarm.wordpress.c.../thermal-aqua/

In a cold city like Chicago this is a colossal failure.

Aesthetically it didn't turn out as intended, you can only see it's waves if you're directly below the tower.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:08 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:26 PM

@betooblah on Instagram

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:20 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's a great article. So do all window wall highrises with exposed slabs have the same problem, or is this unique to Aqua because of the balconies? There are a ton of window wall buildings with balconies in cold-weather markets like Toronto, and I've never heard of this (maybe I'm not reading the right news). Maybe they know to put those thermal layers in the slabs to prevent the heat loss. Fascinating stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The fact that it loses heat like crazy because of how it was designed. It's like a giant radiator.

https://architecturefarm.wordpress.c.../thermal-aqua/

In a cold city like Chicago this is a colossal failure.

Aesthetically it didn't turn out as intended, you can only see it's waves if you're directly below the tower.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:42 PM

Cloudy/misty days brings out its best

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
That's a great article. So do all window wall highrises with exposed slabs have the same problem, or is this unique to Aqua because of the balconies? There are a ton of window wall buildings with balconies in cold-weather markets like Toronto, and I've never heard of this (maybe I'm not reading the right news). Maybe they know to put those thermal layers in the slabs to prevent the heat loss. Fascinating stuff!
All of them have the same issue, so it's not really fair to blame Studio Gang as if it's an oversight. It's been known since Goldberg's days and clearly developers just do not care.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Aqua has exposed concrete slabs right on the end, so it's especially bad for it. most condos typically insulates the ends of the slabs to help it, including in Toronto.

Ontario changed it's building code a few years ago to require thermal breaks around balconies however as the same phenomenon was occurring with them. The entire floor slab was poured as one slab, including balconies, and heat would transfer through the concrete and escape via the uninsulated balcony slabs. New buildings in Toronto how have to put "thermal breaks", which is essentially a chunk of insulation, to separate the balcony slab from the main building slab to prevent this. It adds a fair bit of cost but is far, far more energy efficient.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:42 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:09 PM

The bridging issue has been a big problem. I have never lived in a building that has the issue, so I don't know really what the energy cost is to the end user. I am sure there are plenty of studies on it. On a project I worked on a little while back, we used products from these guys https://www.schoeck.com/en/isokorb and there is a lot of good literature on their site about the problems and how their products help remedy it. Seemed easy enough to install - just cost a decent amount and took a little bit to get. I at least appreciate that they're trying.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:02 PM
TL;DR

I imagine this is why we see a lot more recessed balconies (where the slab can be wrapped in insulating material) or clip-on balconies than cantilevered ones these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction