HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I've always thought it odd that students tended to live more west of campus than east. East feels a lot safer to me, though that student from Prospect Park was killed east of Broad from what I remember.
I agree with this statement now, but this did not feel true up until a few years ago. I attended Temple up until I graduated in 2018. The area east of campus had always felt shady up until around the end of 2016/beginning of 2017. Around that time, the Norris Homes created a dangerous, chasm-like feeling along Berks Street between the beginning of campus on 11th Street and the Regional Rail station on 9th Street, the northern end of Ludlow was only just beginning to become revitalized, and you did not want to be caught north of Susquehanna east of the railroad. Living west of campus always felt safer due to the number of students on that side of Broad, along with all of the development taking place at the time. Nowadays, the Norris Homes have been replaced by the much nicer NC5 building, the development wave that started in Ludlow has moved up to Harntraft, and the formerly empty lots north of Susquehanna are beginning to fill in. I often use the Temple University station to walk to Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and my favorite brewery (Human Robot), and I simply cannot believe how much things have changed east of campus.

If I could be a freshman at Temple again, I'd give living east of campus a very serious look. It doesn't have the party scene that the streets west of campus have (specifically Gratz Street), but Ludlow, South Kensington, and the southern ends of Harntraft and Norris Square have been so thoroughly redeveloped that one can safely walk to Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and East Kensington to enjoy all of the amenities those neighborhoods offer.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I agree with this statement now, but this did not feel true up until a few years ago. I attended Temple up until I graduated in 2018. The area east of campus had always felt shady up until around the end of 2016/beginning of 2017. Around that time, the Norris Homes created a dangerous, chasm-like feeling along Berks Street between the beginning of campus on 11th Street and the Regional Rail station on 9th Street, the northern end of Ludlow was only just beginning to become revitalized, and you did not want to be caught north of Susquehanna east of the railroad. Living west of campus always felt safer due to the number of students on that side of Broad, along with all of the development taking place at the time. Nowadays, the Norris Homes have been replaced by the much nicer NC5 building, the development wave that started in Ludlow has moved up to Harntraft, and the formerly empty lots north of Susquehanna are beginning to fill in. I often use the Temple University station to walk to Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and my favorite brewery (Human Robot), and I simply cannot believe how much things have changed east of campus.

If I could be a freshman at Temple again, I'd give living east of campus a very serious look. It doesn't have the party scene that the streets west of campus have (specifically Gratz Street), but Ludlow, South Kensington, and the southern ends of Harntraft and Norris Square have been so thoroughly redeveloped that one can safely walk to Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and East Kensington to enjoy all of the amenities those neighborhoods offer.
I love hearing these personal anecdotes about the areas around Temple. As a relatively recent transplant to the city I have no experience at all with that area of the city so it’s nice to see people that know that area talk about how it’s changed. Also love a good brewery recommendation!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
I agree with this statement now, but this did not feel true up until a few years ago. I attended Temple up until I graduated in 2018. The area east of campus had always felt shady up until around the end of 2016/beginning of 2017.
I remember other students feeling this way. I lived east of campus from 2013-2016 (Park, then 12th st) and always felt more comfortable than being west. You can live even closer to campus easily, and no one looking to target street-dumb students would look there.

I agree east of 12th and north of dauphin were considered far off campus. But yeah the stretch between Temple and Fishtown is probably completely different than when I last saw it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 1:12 AM

The area between American and 10th between Temple and Norris Square has definitely improved leaps and bounds. My only hesitation about that location is it’s removed from transit; west of temple feels close to subway. But no doubt this area is changing quickly and will be anchored by American and eventually Germantown Ave revival

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:27 AM

Photo taken early morning 04/09/2023 on 2nd St in Old City.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 1:24 PM
Chris

A boost for S. Broad Street.

Sporting Club at the Bellevue reopening after three years with extensive renovations and new golf pavilion
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...enovation.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:18 PM

First signs of things getting moving on the 95 overbuild, about 10 construction trailers have been set up in the South Street lot.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
I think the proposed project near Front and Girard is about to commence soon. I was in Fishtown yesterday evening and stopped by the former 7-Eleven site to grab a sports drink. When I stepped in the store, not only were most of the shelves empty, but everything else in the store was being sold as buy one, get one. Hopefully the current business is preparing to vacate the building!
Following up on this lead from a few weeks ago, looks like a demo permit for the current building was issued yesterday:

Quote:

ZP-2023-003634
Apr 10, 2023
23-29 W GIRARD AVE, Philadelphia, PA 19123-1718
GIRARD REAL ESTATE LLC 5

Demolition of 1 Sty Masonry Store
We love to see it! Fishtown deserves a much better gateway to the neighborhood than a single-story 7-Eleven directly across the street from a single-story McDonald's.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Following up on this lead from a few weeks ago, looks like a demo permit for the current building was issued yesterday:

We love to see it! Fishtown deserves a much better gateway to the neighborhood than a single-story 7-Eleven directly across the street from a single-story McDonald's.
I'll never forget the time we were eating outside at Sancho Pistolas and got to see a junkie relieve himself in that hedge.

I'm gonna miss that 7-11.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:23 PM
Chris

Another residential conversion.

Developer buys Jewish Federation building at 2100 Arch for $12M, plans residential conversion
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

While Aaron Smith of MM Partners said specific plans for the 121,500-square-foot building are still being worked out, it’ll “most likely” be a mixed-use conversion with a small amount of ground-floor retail, resident amenities and apartments on the second floor and up.

Smith said the Center City building lends itself well to a residential transformation.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Another residential conversion.

Developer buys Jewish Federation building at 2100 Arch for $12M, plans residential conversion
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

While Aaron Smith of MM Partners said specific plans for the 121,500-square-foot building are still being worked out, it’ll “most likely” be a mixed-use conversion with a small amount of ground-floor retail, resident amenities and apartments on the second floor and up.

Smith said the Center City building lends itself well to a residential transformation.
MM Partners is really driving the adaptive reuse movement in Philly this is their 3rd or 4th project this year .

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Where'd the Federation and other tenants move to?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
says in the article the building has largely been empty since COVID and they are leasing space in a downtown office building for now.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:34 PM

41-Unit Project Breaks Ground Near Frankford and Lehigh
https://www.rising.realestate/41-uni...rd-and-lehigh/

Absolutely stunning design!!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:44 PM

^That's fantastic. How little it takes to make an interesting building. Just a little architectural/historical literacy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:04 PM

Sixers to study potential impact of arena on Center City:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ate=2023-04-12

“Given the size and scope of this proposed project, it is too early in the process to know the specific impacts of the proposed downtown arena,” Kenney said. “That is why over the coming months, several city and public agency partners, as well as third party consultants will complete various technical studies to ascertain the feasibility and impacts of an arena in the proposed location.”

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:00 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^That's fantastic. How little it takes to make an interesting building. Just a little architectural/historical literacy.
And at this location. More proof to push for higher design standards in Greater Center City.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

beautiful. Bravo Canno!
That's up there too!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
One of the Commerce Square buildings

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Similar design to 829 Bainbridge. They just wrapped up the facade of that one and it looks great!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development