HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
https://blog.cityelectricsupply.com/...r-development/

Found this article on the Pier development from July 2020. Says the two towers are going to be 30 stories which will be the "tallest structure in tempe". I know the plan review says 24 stories so maybe they are mistaken or the developer went back to the city for more height/density to add more units to get the deal to pencil? Either way this article has some good details on the development.
Isn't 6th West 30 stories?

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Something like that - I thought 32 or 34…

Nothing in Tempe can be taller than the Butte - which is 340ft tall or somewhere there about. So maybe that’s why 34 is in my brain…

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post

Nothing in Tempe can be taller than the Butte - which is 340ft tall or somewhere there about. So maybe that’s why 34 is in my brain…
Thanks XYMOX is the no taller than the Butte for all of the city or just downtown, because The Pier I believe is not in downtown Tempe.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post

W6 Tower I is 258' and 22 stories, W6 Tower II is 345' and 30 stories. Tempe Butte is ~ 345'. As far as I know that is the height limit allowed in Tempe (downtown or otherwise). Of course that could change, but with Sky Harbor's flight path going right over the riverbed/lake, I'm sure there would be a fight to go any higher in that area.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:37 PM

Two projects that appear to have started construction:
  • Culdesac was mentioned earlier. As of going by this morning, they have a building permit posted on the fence and rebar in the ground. Safe to say this one is a go.
  • I haven't seen a building permit yet for Omni, but I did notice about a week ago that they took the old fence down, and now have put up a new fence. Over the last week there have been workers and equipment on site, and this morning there were new building materials as well. This one seems to be moving forward as well.

EDIT: per Tempe building permit list, permits have been issued for both Omni itself and for a sales center on Mill.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 3:02 PM

That's great news! What is the Omni Sales Center for?

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:13 PM

I heard the building at 120 South Ash Avenue was sold and is being planned for redevelopment. That's all I know.

That's an unusual parcel though. There are also those adjacent historic homes, at least couple of which I heard were relocated there from Phoenix. I can't remember if they came from the portion of the historic neighborhood that was demolished when I-10/the tunnel cut through Central Phoenix, or were just random houses that were saved for some reason. The demolition man that did the relocation told me this story. He could have made that all up, or it could be common knowledge.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:46 PM

Thanks for the updates Muertecaza!

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:32 AM

Latest Addition to Novus

New DPR up for lot immediately next to the Hyatt House. Nothing special, looks like a better version of Aspen Heights (and that's not saying much with a similar ugly color scheme). But at least we got some more density!

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpubli...52237652270000
Quote:
Request a Development Plan Review for a new seven-story, residential development containing 200 dwelling units for NOVUS PARCEL 3F, located at 651 East 6th Street.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:42 AM

Istb7

I was on the Architekton website today and noticed they have new renderings of ISTB7. The last rendering I saw was just a black and white model and these are more finished.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:13 AM
Skyriser

It's still ugly as sin. That ridiculous wasp-nest facade makes it look like something growing on a garden shed that a professional should remove. I can't believe so many people thought this was a good idea and signed off on it.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:23 PM

But then again

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's still ugly as sin. That ridiculous wasp-nest facade makes it look like something growing on a garden shed that a professional should remove. I can't believe so many people thought this was a good idea and signed off on it.
To each is own. I like it and still feel it has a quasi mid century modern feel to it.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
To each is own. I like it and still feel it has a quasi mid century modern feel to it.
Coolest buildings in Tempe:

1A) Gammage
1B) ISTB 7

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:48 PM

Although I agreed with combusean at first the building has grown on me. Plus I really like the interior a lot. Also...I pick the Gamage over ISTB 7.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Coolest buildings in Tempe:

1A) Gammage
1B) ISTB 7
Love this building even more with the updated renderings.

Also, I think this may be the first rendering we see of the pedestrian bridge going over University? Looks pretty awesome too

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Love this building even more with the updated renderings.

Also, I think this may be the first rendering we see of the pedestrian bridge going over University? Looks pretty awesome too
Is there any plan to put a pedestrian bridge over Rural? That is a nightmare to watch students going across on skateboards, scooters, etc. It'll just get worse with all of that density.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 10:10 PM

Building blows. You should see it in person. Stands out like a sore thumb. It looks outdated & isn’t even finished yet. I guess to each’ own. the pier is not 30 stories. It’s like 24 with a max building height around 295.

Also I think the max building height for most of Tempe is around 300’. W6 got built back in 08 prior to the FAA switching up their standards. It’s an FAA issue, not a COT issue.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Is there any plan to put a pedestrian bridge over Rural? That is a nightmare to watch students going across on skateboards, scooters, etc. It'll just get worse with all of that density.
There's room for it so I think it would make sense or maybe over by where the Society/ Basecamp site is (Terrace?) it's such a big crossing from the light rail over Rural.

Also I forgot to let y'all know I noticed that the elevator shafts for the new multi-purpose arena are already up! This one is moving fast but hard to see from Rural if you drive by too fast.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
There's room for it so I think it would make sense or maybe over by where the Society/ Basecamp site is (Terrace?) it's such a big crossing from the light rail over Rural.

Also I forgot to let y'all know I noticed that the elevator shafts for the new multi-purpose arena are already up! This one is moving fast but hard to see from Rural if you drive by too fast.
Didn't know that was the case, I'll try to get by there and take a few photos.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Didn't know that was the case, I'll try to get by there and take a few photos.
ASU has installed not one, not two, but FOUR webcams at the arena project for us to watch, I’ll link it below. Always good to see photos from boots on the ground when you get a chance, can’t wait to see.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/mortenson/asuarena

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest