HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Premier is rocking some sweet vintage "Wheels" from Degrassi glasses frames these days.

Bold choice.
LOL

I knew I had seen those before somewhere

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 9:54 PM

Tell us you're middle aged without telling us you're middle aged.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:16 AM

Quote:
The Premier is rocking some sweet vintage "Wheels" from Degrassi glasses frames these days.

Bold choice.
Trying to capitalize on that Generation X nostalgia for Degrassi I guess. Whatever works!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
This Manitoba “Carbon Tax Relief Fund” is really funny. This PC government can’t get voted out soon enough. I hope Manitobans (suburban Winnipeggers in particular) can see that they’re not helping us.
that cheque will help with groceries in my household! for all those that are against it, i can provide a list of 100 charities that you can donate yours to. and for those saying that carbon rebate already came from the Feds, yeah ok. do you think that was enough to cover all the additional carbon charge we are getting on gas and groceries and other retail goods. NO it is not. A better name would be inflation cheque but i'm happy with it and I'm sure many many others are too

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
that cheque will help with groceries in my household! for all those that are against it, i can provide a list of 100 charities that you can donate yours to. and for those saying that carbon rebate already came from the Feds, yeah ok. do you think that was enough to cover all the additional carbon charge we are getting on gas and groceries and other retail goods. NO it is not. A better name would be inflation cheque but i'm happy with it and I'm sure many many others are too
For the vast majority of people, yes it is. The ones paying the most are industry and businesses burning a lot of carbon. The carbon tax is not a significant factor on inflation, despite what conservative politicians are suggesting. Food inflation, for example, is higher in the States, and they have no carbon tax. Conservative politicians are expecting their base to not understand simple math, so it seems like voting them in and having them get rid of the carbon tax would magically solve or even help with inflation. It won’t. It would actually take more money out of the hands of those who currently get the rebates. Also, inflation is mostly due to global supply chains not handling the surge in demand in the post-pandemic lockdown world, so there isn't much that can be done in the short term except get more money into the hands of people (while increasing taxes on higher earners to balance the money supply), on-shore as much manufacturing as we can, and replace the fragile, just-in-time supply chains we rely on. Or cause a recession like central banks are trying to

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 27, 2023 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:45 PM

Holy Crap, this is breaking news!

Manitoba finance minister quits for federal run. He said he will resign his legislature seat in the near future and seek the federal Conservative nomination in the riding of Portage-Lisgar. member of Parliament Candice Bergen, who currently holds the seat, announced in the fall she would not seek re-election.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Holy Crap, this is breaking news!

Manitoba finance minister quits for federal run. He said he will resign his legislature seat in the near future and seek the federal Conservative nomination in the riding of Portage-Lisgar. member of Parliament Candice Bergen, who currently holds the seat, announced in the fall she would not seek re-election.
Good move all around. He will win Portage - Lisgard easily federally and regardless of who runs provincially in Morden - Winkler, the conservative candidate will win. In the last elections the PCs recieved 8 times the votes of their nearest competitor here.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BariasEC View Post
Good move all around. He will win Portage - Lisgard easily federally and regardless of who runs provincially in Morden - Winkler, the conservative candidate will win. In the last elections the PCs recieved 8 times the votes of their nearest competitor here.
Well in the big picture there's two things the PC's are chafed by.

1) Friesen is the Finance Minister in the middle of budget consultations of which they are already weeks behind if they are delivering a March budget. Him leaving basically torpedoes the current government in an election year.

2) Friesen was a leading contender to run for leadership of the party if they don't form government.

He's basically flipped the bird at the provincial PC's to make the leap to Ottawa. The timing really couldn't have been worse. It's shocking he didn't resign long before the budget process started.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 9:56 PM

Those damn heartless PC are at it again, if they keep this up the NDP will have nothing to complain about. The are suppose to be closing day cares and throwing kids out on the street, I thought based on what some people think of the PC.

from FreePress
Manitoba to add 14 new rural child care hubs
A federal-provincial program to boost the number of regulated child care centres in Manitoba has been expanded by more than 400 spaces.

On Thursday, Early Childhood Learning Minister Wayne Ewasko said 14 additional rural and remote communities will be getting a new child care centre under the Canada-Manitoba Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement.

In November, the federal and provincial governments said $70 million had been earmarked to build 1,200 new, regulated non-profit child care spaces focused in rural and First Nations communities.

The new facilities are modular, prefabricated buildings that can be readily transported and built in communities across Manitoba.

Local partners and municipalities have to provide at least two acres of serviced land for 15 years rent-free and provide snow removal, landscape maintenance and repair services.

The first phase of the program included nine communities and 650 child care spaces, with plans to expand to eight more communities in Phase 2.

Ewasko said the second phase of the program will now include 14 facilities and 1,004 child care spaces.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 10:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Those damn heartless PC are at it again, if they keep this up the NDP will have nothing to complain about. The are suppose to be closing day cares and throwing kids out on the street, I thought based on what some people think of the PC.

from FreePress
Manitoba to add 14 new rural child care hubs
A federal-provincial program to boost the number of regulated child care centres in Manitoba has been expanded by more than 400 spaces.

On Thursday, Early Childhood Learning Minister Wayne Ewasko said 14 additional rural and remote communities will be getting a new child care centre under the Canada-Manitoba Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement.

In November, the federal and provincial governments said $70 million had been earmarked to build 1,200 new, regulated non-profit child care spaces focused in rural and First Nations communities.

The new facilities are modular, prefabricated buildings that can be readily transported and built in communities across Manitoba.

Local partners and municipalities have to provide at least two acres of serviced land for 15 years rent-free and provide snow removal, landscape maintenance and repair services.

The first phase of the program included nine communities and 650 child care spaces, with plans to expand to eight more communities in Phase 2.

Ewasko said the second phase of the program will now include 14 facilities and 1,004 child care spaces.

Can you tell it's an election year?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 7:57 PM

the manitoba tory playbook: govern like you're the NDP for 8 months leading up to an election, then go back to slash and burn for the next 40 months

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
the manitoba tory playbook: govern like you're the NDP for 8 months leading up to an election, then go back to slash and burn for the next 40 months
The population of Manitoba playbook: Fall for the Tory playbook repeatedly.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The population of Manitoba playbook: Fall for the Tory playbook repeatedly.
"Recent" Premiers of Manitoba:

Ed Schreyer NDP '69-'77
Sterling Lyon PC '77-'81
Howard Pawley NDP '81-'88
Gary Filmon PC '88-'99
Gary Doer NDP '99-'09
Greg Selinger NDP '09-'16
Brian Pallister PC '16-'21
Kelvin Goertzen PC 2 months '21
Heather Stephanson PC '21-'23

By my (very) rough count, NDP 42 years, PCs 23 years.

Gary Doer's record really tilts it heavily towards the NDP. Personally i always considers Gary to be a bit more of a centrist, more like a Liberal and an NDP, though he was canny enough to realize he probably couldn't be elected under that banner. Without Doer, both the NDP and PC's have ruled the province roughly the same amount of time since 1969.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
"Recent" Premiers of Manitoba:

Ed Schreyer NDP '69-'77
Sterling Lyon PC '77-'81
Howard Pawley NDP '81-'88
Gary Filmon PC '88-'99
Gary Doer NDP '99-'09
Greg Selinger NDP '09-'16
Brian Pallister PC '16-'21
Kelvin Goertzen PC 2 months '21
Heather Stephanson PC '21-'23

By my (very) rough count, NDP 42 years, PCs 23 years.

Gary Doer's record really tilts it heavily towards the NDP. Personally i always considers Gary to be a bit more of a centrist, more like a Liberal and an NDP, though he was canny enough to realize he probably couldn't be elected under that banner. Without Doer, both the NDP and PC's have ruled the province roughly the same amount of time since 1969.
Maybe you should go back to school to finish your math courses. Where do you get 11 extra years from since 1969?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:23 PM

2023 budget

largest personal income tax reduction in Manitoba history. Changes to the Provincial Basic Personal Amount will ensure that Manitobans do not pay a cent of income tax on the first $15,000 they earn in 2023. This measure alone will save the average two-income family over $1,000 and will remove 47,400 low-income Manitobans from the tax rolls. Changes to tax bracket thresholds in 2024 will provide even greater savings for Manitobans.

redoubling efforts to help heal the health-care system, with the largest-ever investment of $7.9 billion. That is an increase of $668 million to help shorten wait times and rebuild the front lines. Budget 2023 also initiates a $1.2-billion multi-year capital campaign that will add capacity to nine facilities including in rural hospitals, St. Boniface Hospital, Grace Hospital, CancerCare Manitoba and Health Sciences Centre

expanding coverage for diabetes insulin pumps and glucose monitors, and creating a new hearing aid program

historic investment of $217 million in total municipal operating funding – $47 million more than last year and the largest increase in a decade. Millions more are earmarked for wastewater treatment, transit and other capital projects

doubles the funds dedicated to venture capital to $100 million and eliminates payroll taxes for an additional 150 employers. The payroll tax rate will be reduced for the first time in 25 years in 2024

$40 million to develop infrastructure to allow CentrePort South to expand and will invest $147.6 million over two years to improve the Hudson Bay rail line to the Port of Churchill.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:37 PM

I don't understand the obsession with tax cuts every year when our system is so starved for the bare essentials in just about every area the provincial government is responsible for.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 10:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's brilliant. The tax cuts won't affect the budget until 2024, after the PC's have lost the election, causing the next government to squirm with the extra deficit, or raise taxes to make up the shortfall (i.e. speNDP).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
^ it's brilliant. The tax cuts won't affect the budget until 2024, after the PC's have lost the election, causing the next government to squirm with the extra deficit, or raise taxes to make up the shortfall (i.e. speNDP).
That seems to be the intention.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...axes-1.6765993

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 10:45 PM

I get that the PCs are doing the same thing that the NDP did to them (in their case it was make a bunch of spending promises that they knew the Tories would have to walk back). But they have consistently focused on tax cutting. Which maybe makes sense if you are Alberta or Ontario. But in a province like Manitoba it is absurd... getting the thousand bucks back or whatever is nice, but why not put it towards any number of important things that are starved for resources instead?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get that the PCs are doing the same thing that the NDP did to them (in their case it was make a bunch of spending promises that they knew the Tories would have to walk back). But they have consistently focused on tax cutting. Which maybe makes sense if you are Alberta or Ontario. But in a province like Manitoba it is absurd... getting the thousand bucks back or whatever is nice, but why not put it towards any number of important things that are starved for resources instead?
The charitable interpretation is that individuals know how best to spend their own money, and that by raising the bottommost bracket, the income tax regime is now definitionally more progressive. Economists pretty often agitate for scrapping paternalistic welfare programs that constrain how and when and on what people can spend their subsidies, and replacing those systems with just giving people cash.

That being said, I do actually think that the province has enough collective action problems that can only be solved by government spending that this tax cut is a bad idea; transit and healthcare spring to mind. But the above would be the devil's advocate case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan