HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
what a time this was. watching all those streams from different cities that showed you 99% of what the news media WAS NOT showing. Minny started as the most interesting but NYC, Portland, Seattle (solely because of CHAZ), and DC were the "star cities" of the rioting (and had the best cams). Chicago with an honorable mention.

agree with those saying the rioting was so widespread in Socal. it was like everyday a new section was getting hit. melrose, hollywood, then long beach, then the valley, etc. crazy. many of the old timers still in their homes from the 92 riots strongly discouraged the rioting in their own neighborhood which could be one reason it became widespread in socal. a lot of people drove across town to participate (which happened in 92 also). social media really spread around the next spots that would get hit too.

Portland police really didn't play though. they cleared out blocks pretty effectively when they wanted to. and I was in Portland a few months ago and saw that Apple store. surprised it still needs to be guarded like that.

those first nights in Minny were hard to top destruction wise but Minny fell off after that as other cities ramped up. still surreal watching this though. truly apocalyptic. I remember watching this Minny stream live and was better than any movie. you see so much arson including a book store getting burned down, a kidnapping, a couple shootings, etc. It's 7 hours long (intense stuff starts roughly 4 hours in with the car fire explosion): https://youtu.be/cHcELsLF7cg?t=4069

Video Link
Yeah I don't know what to say about the Portland cops' conduct. I mean they kind of lost the conversation before it even started. People went completely bananas even before all the federal guys got here and then came the wall of moms and the cops really became the bad guys. On one hand, the profession does attract a certain kind of power hungry asshole but on the other hand they have to deal with the dregs of society so it kind of works out. In Portland there we literally protesters in wheel chair with dogs at their side all the while wearing body armor and helmets. Its like picking on the retarded kid. Overall I think the Portland cops handled the situation with as much reserve as they could. There were a few skirmishes that went a little sideways and they used a fuck ton of tear gas. People were throwing railroad spikes and molotov cocktails so what else were they supposed to do? What a shit show all around. I grew up in SE Michigan. Seriously, this place is 100 percent full of loons.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:55 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Obviously Minneapolis had it the worst. It was basically akin to LA's 1992 riots, maybe worse.

I would recommend watching the excellent LA 92 and then... reevaluate.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:58 AM

This is hilarious. Two reports in a row interview the know-it-all-preps, who imagine rainbows and unicorns (and lines on their resumes), but each report also interviews someone who actually lives near the site, who just wants the goddamn drug dealing to go away.

This one gets good at 1:30 (dude is somehow living in a unit with an "unlawful occupancy" notice on the door):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02gQ1ckw2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyMg40y73xs

Two shootings in a week at the "square" (nearby black business owner wants more police):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbdICCAtAk

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle's main thing was taking over some blocks on Capitol Hill. It wasn't destruction per se, though a lot of graffiti was involved.
Iirc, there were also some protests on/near I-5, as well as vandalism of public spaces.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:08 AM

It was a while ago, though, so could be misremembering.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:39 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Sacramento’s central city saw multiple (dozens) a smashed windows and graffiti. A few mom and pop stores looted. There were a lot of us who live in the central city who came together the morning after, swept up glass and cleaned up a trashed 7-11 store for instance. There was one shoe store that was completely cleared out (looted). The owners ended up filing for bankruptcy just days ago. The boarded up windows didn’t help the feeling that Downtown Sacramento was unsafe.

Once downtown/midtown were cleared of workers due to Covid shutdowns and the aftermath of the riots, a lot of homeless moved in from the Sacramento and American riverfronts. It’s slowly coming back but the State will mostly stay remote so Sacramento will likely be stuck with a lot of mostly ugly State office buildings.

Like many cities, Sacramento is still looking for solutions to the thousands of homeless.

(Hell if I were homeless, I would buy a bus ticket to San Diego.)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:53 AM

Man, the BLM Era combined with peak Covid, the election, mass employment etc. was rough. Looking at these pics/videos do not bring back fond memories. What a horrible year that was in this country...so much tension, instability, and despair in the air. Our beautiful cities destroyed. So much hate. Definitely a year for the history books.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh come on man lol — our beautful cities were not destroyed by the 2020 round of ongoing civil rights protests.

nor was atlanta destroyed in the current protests, despite a few typical outside agitators:

https://news.yahoo.com/6-arrested-pr...120700034.html

civil rights protests have a long history and are not going away until those issues do, which is to say, unfortunately never.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
oh come on man lol — our beautful cities were not destroyed by the 2020 round of ongoing civil rights protests.

nor was atlanta destroyed in the current protests, despite a few typical outside agitators:

https://news.yahoo.com/6-arrested-pr...120700034.html

civil rights protests have a long history and are not going away until those issues do, which is to say, unfortunately never.
It's almost like people don't realize that political protests have been a function of the city since the start of civilization.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Our beautiful cities destroyed.
Whuuut?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 7:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Whuuut?
appparently you haven't seen a very informative documentary called "The Handmaid's Tale".

chicago is gone.

source: https://www.alleedescuriosites.com/s...n-4-episode-4/

my wife and i are currently raising our two kids in a dug-out hovel roofed with debris from the protests that destroyed our beautiful city.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 25, 2023 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's almost like people don't realize that political protests have been a function of the city since the start of civilization.
Protests are one thing, destruction is another. Unless you're CNN.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Protests are one thing, destruction is another. Unless you're CNN.

That's a parking lot (not a city) but go awfff.

Doesn't look any different than downtown Tuscaloosa after Bama wins a national championship.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:31 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
appparently you haven't seen a very informative documentary called "The Handmaid's Tale".

chicago is gone.

source: https://www.alleedescuriosites.com/s...n-4-episode-4/

my wife and i are currently raising our two kids in a dug-out hovel roofed with debris from the protests that destroyed our beautiful city.
Wait til you see what happened to Boston in The Last of Us!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ all of these insightful documentaries about the destruction of our beautiful cities truly are eye-opening, aren't they?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:31 PM

Too bad the lamestream fakenews MSM didn't report on the epic carnage. All they reported on is someone slowly getting choked to death by police. There were widespread reports of tube socks, sunscreen and popcorn stolen from CVS, and the libtards wanted to talk about George Floyd. Sad!

I remember those epic nights. Thousands of family members walking down Seventh Ave. in Brooklyn. Park Slope kids holding signs. Now nothing is left but a smoldering ruin.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
How is "riot" defined? Many people have conflated protesting with rioting. The 2020 rioting in NYC was mild by NY's historical standards, but the protests were massive.
Hard to quantify. NYC was in mandatory curfew similar to LA, and what was going on was pretty crazy. The police simply did not respond and let people loot. The news never showed the footage, but people were posting it on Tiktok, liveleak, and such (all other social media was taking it down due to showing violence). There were literally people trying to run over people with cars at full speed. There was one video of a car running full speed at a line of NYPD officers at night in the Bronx during curfew, hitting two of them. It was crazy. Unless you were watching it live on Tiktok as it was happening, you couldn't really see what was going on around LA, NYC, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc. I think the only video that got out to mainstream news was the one in LA where the car hit the girls on the highway. There were also videos of people shooting into crowds, into buildings, people robbing trains, etc.
There was another crazy one (I think somewhere on the west coast) where people swarmed a big trailer truck and the truck driver just floored the gas. I don't know if mainstream news showed it.

Last edited by Gantz; Jan 25, 2023 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Hard to quantify. NYC was in mandatory curfew similar to LA, and what was going on was pretty crazy.
There was a two-day curfew, technically 11-5, but not enforced. There was essentially one night where stores were looted. It was a Sunday night.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There was a two-day curfew, technically 11-5, but not enforced. There was essentially one night where stores were looted. It was a Sunday night.
It was enforced, at least in certain parts of NYC. There were cops standing on each corner and they brought out those big NYPD vans and they were driving around and arresting anyone who they saw on a sidewalk during curfew. They were also stopping and checking cars.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 11:01 PM
你的媽媽

#ruined

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions