HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:22 PM

I’m working with one of those families, Their story posted here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChIQR13A...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

There are hundreds of families arriving every few weeks, Manitoba has taken in over 3k since the Spring.

We got the husband set up with roofing job they since have both landed employment with a large manufacturer in the Murray industrial park.

Working with refugees really brings to light the shortcomings of this city, especially when it’s been built for cars. We got the wife employment in Transcona, they landed an unfurnished apartment in st James, she had to resign the job as the bus commute crosstown was over 3+ hours a day, it was just too hard on her.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:35 PM

^^Sad they lost their home, but glad they are safe here.

Saw on tv about the hard conditions in which some Ukrianians were living in some neighboring countries. There are just so many of them packed in shelters. I imagine some of them in other European countries will be making their way to Canada also.

I wonder if any of the people now fleeing Russia will also make their way here?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
^^Sad they lost their home, but glad they are safe here.

Saw on tv about the hard conditions in which some Ukrianians were living in some neighboring countries. There are just so many of them packed in shelters. I imagine some of them in other European countries will be making their way to Canada also.

I wonder if any of the people now fleeing Russia will also make their way here?
The remarkable thing about this family is their family home was not affected by the war so they gave it to friends of theirs who did lose their home in a bombing.

With a young son they did not want to risk uncertainty with his future, they have every intention of remaining in Canada and making their new life here Winnipeg.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:42 PM

Incredible story, Wpg_Guy. Kudos to you for helping out.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The remarkable thing about this family is their family home was not affected by the war so they gave it to friends of theirs who did lose their home in a bombing.

With a young son they did not want to risk uncertainty with his future, they have every intention of remaining in Canada and making their new life here Winnipe
g.
yeah I can imagine.

Awesome you could help them out.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

With a young son they did not want to risk uncertainty with his future, they have every intention of remaining in Canada and making their new life here Winnipeg.
If you are still looking for stuff (especially clothes) - PM me. I have a 12 year old boy who is just growing out of a lot of stuff that would probably be perfect for their son.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 12:02 AM

The short coming of Winnipeg are in its built form, its heart really shines through people’s hearts and kindness. Through that post strangers reached out and we got them a couch, a big screen smart TV, their kitchen stacked with new Ikea kitchenwares, enough funds donated to buy a brand new twin and queen mattress, towels, shower curtain, gift cards for groceries, it’s incredible to think people have absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
If you are still looking for stuff (especially clothes) - PM me. I have a 12 year old boy who is just growing out of a lot of stuff that would probably be perfect for their son.
Thank you Drew, I will do that, they are absolutely still in need of a lot of things.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:12 PM

The census has finally provided the demographic information for the cities and the different ethnicities.

Visible Minorities make up 34.4% of the cities population, an increase from 28% in 2016. The three largest groups are as follows:

Filipino: 83,305 and 11.1% of population (13.5% increase since 2016)
South Asian: 62,460 and 8.3% of the population (66% increase since 2016)
Black: 40,085 and 5.3% of the population (49% increase since 2016)

The Indigenous population is now 90,995 and has increased by 8% since 2016. The Indigenous populations still make up roughly 12% of the cities population.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:43 PM
What could go wrong?

With Canada looking to increase immigration in the next 2 years to approx 500,000 per year https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-economy.html I guessed that here in Winnipeg we could expect to see approximately 20,000 new residents per year based on the 4% (3.9) share of new immigrants (2016-2021)
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...g-a006-eng.htm

I am not a statistician so if someone can derive better numbers from this, I am all for it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
With Canada looking to increase immigration in the next 2 years to approx 500,000 per year https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-economy.html I guessed that here in Winnipeg we could expect to see approximately 20,000 new residents per year based on the 4% (3.9) share of new immigrants (2016-2021)
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...g-a006-eng.htm

I am not a statistician so if someone can derive better numbers from this, I am all for it.
Certainly is possible and realistic, could be even slightly higher. Regardless, could see record population growth in Winnipeg
Gilligham seems to want to increase immigration and city population too so may be a fortuitous combo for the city and surroundings

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Certainly is possible and realistic, could be even slightly higher. Regardless, could see record population growth in Winnipeg
Gilligham seems to want to increase immigration and city population too so may be a fortuitous combo for the city and surroundings
With all the Ukrainian refugees coming to Canada, I could definitely see that happening. Does anyone know exactly how many people from the 7kraine are in Winnipeg, and how many are expected per year? I do know that there are a few thousand in Edmonton.

On a lighter note, Canada is #39 in terms of population. We passed Poland in 2020, but Poland has retaken that spot due to all the Ukrainians that have entered the country. We passed Ukraine, since that country had 44 million people, but nearly 7 million have left the country. Canada currently has roughly 38.5 million people.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 5:01 PM

^ Over 5 thousand in Manitoba as of a little over a month ago:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...toba-1.6594592

I would imagine that most are in Winnipeg. You definitely notice the presence, I can understand Ukrainian at a very rudimentary level, and I often hear people speaking it on the streets now.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Much of that growth will come from the growing Punjabi community. A decade ago Filipinos were the main visible minority group in Wpg. That is no longer the case. The indian community here is growing extremely fast. I have never seen anything like it.

Filipinos are still the main visible minority group, AINEC. At least 80,000 people of Filipino descent live in Winnipeg, nearly double the entire South Asian population of the city.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Filipinos are still the main visible minority group, AINEC. At least 80,000 people of Filipino descent live in Winnipeg, nearly double the entire South Asian population of the city.

Is that right??

I just see south Asians every where. it seems like every car that passes me on the street has the "Khanda" thing dangling from their review mirror. Or the "no farmers no food" stickers with the map of punjab. Many jobs seems to have become dominated by Indians now. Could just be where i live I guess.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Is that right??

I just see south Asians every where. it seems like every car that passes me on the street has the "Khanda" thing dangling from their review mirror. Or the "no farmers no food" stickers with the map of punjab. Many jobs seems to have become dominated by Indians now. Could just be where i live I guess.
South Asians are spread out everywhere in the city with the most dominant community in the Maples area. Other areas with significant presence of south asians are near U of M and surprisingly Transcona.

Filipinos on the other hand are much more concentrated in the West End near Polo and around Garden City. What’s really interesting is that the 2 communities overlap quite a bit in the northwest quadrant of the city around Leila/McPhillips and as a result you get communities like Amber trails which are half Filipino half Indian.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
South Asians are spread out everywhere in the city with the most dominant community in the Maples area. Other areas with significant presence of south asians are near U of M and surprisingly Transcona.

Filipinos on the other hand are much more concentrated in the West End near Polo and around Garden City. What’s really interesting is that the 2 communities overlap quite a bit in the northwest quadrant of the city around Leila/McPhillips and as a result you get communities like Amber trails which are half Filipino half Indian.
Yeah I noticed a lot of south Asians in that northwest corner. Specially in the new developments just west of the maples.

I am in the east Kildonan area near gateway and i see quite a few south asians in my area, the Gateway / McLeod area.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:

I grew up in Tyndall Park and it was like that 35 years ago. The Maples too.

When I was a kid, almost all the visible minority students at my school were Filipino (the largest group) or Indian, with a handful of Vietnamese and Chinese. I get the impression that the gap has narrowed a bit between the Filipino and Indian population in that part of town, though.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I grew up in Tyndall Park and it was like that 35 years ago. The Maples too.

When I was a kid, almost all the visible minority students at my school were Filipino (the largest group) or Indian, with a handful of Vietnamese and Chinese. I get the impression that the gap has narrowed a bit between the Filipino and Indian population in that part of town, though.
Tyndall Park eh. Looks like we have more in common then I thought. I was there for a few years until moving to St. Vital and appreciate the area for its blue collar, but yet safe feeling. Living on Burrows meant I could walk down to Tyndall Square for everyday goods and there was a nice community feel. Mind you this was in the early 2000’s, but it seems these days the area has stagnated a bit. Hopefully they can allow new infill development soon and give the area a slight boost.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Tyndall Park eh. Looks like we have more in common then I thought. I was there for a few years until moving to St. Vital and appreciate the area for its blue collar, but yet safe feeling. Living on Burrows meant I could walk down to Tyndall Square for everyday goods and there was a nice community feel. Mind you this was in the early 2000’s, but it seems these days the area has stagnated a bit. Hopefully they can allow new infill development soon and give the area a slight boost.
(Warning: hyper-local Tyndall Park post ahead that will be irrelevant to anyone unfamiliar with the area )

I moved away from there over 20 years ago but my mom and some relatives still live there, so I do make it over there on a regular basis.

It's kind of interesting, your description of a "blue collar, but yet safe feeling" is very apt. It was basically a neighbourhood of people in what I'd call "good" blue collar jobs. My friends' dads were guys who moved up a couple of rungs at the gas company, the railway, the bottling plant, the bakery, etc. The only friend of mine with parents that had true "professional" jobs was one of my buddies whose parents were both schoolteachers. But most moms in the 80s around there were stay at home, or maybe had part time jobs as bank tellers, waitresses, secretaries, etc. That being said, the area definitely had a bit of an edge to it despite the suburban feeling, petty crime, vandalism and such were not unheard of. Even a couple of murders through the years.

It felt like the area was slipping a bit in the 90s, back in the days of dirt cheap real estate it looked like some blocks were heading down the slumlord rental path. But an upswing in immigration helped it to bounce back, it got noticeably better as the 2000s went on. The area definitely has a "landing pad" feel as it is the kind of place where a lot of new Canadians buy their first home after settling into life here.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 10:33 AM

I heard Canada, and Manitoba as well, have already attracted more immigrants than any year in their history. Expect most of the immigrants (20,000+ from what I hear) to settle in Winnipeg. Winnipeg can expect to gain 15,000 people in 2022.

Edit: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710000901

Stats Can has just come out with Q3 in provincial population. Manitoba gained 12,003 people from July 1 to October 1, and 24,798 since October 1, 2021.

That's pretty incredible, and with each passing quarter, we seem to be gaining more and more. Don't be suprised when all is said and done, Manitoba could be looking at gaining over 30,000 people for the year 2022. Considering 2/3 of the growth is in the Winnipeg captial region, we could see an increase of 20,000 people, putting the Winnipeg CMA over 870,000 people.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Dec 22, 2022 at 11:32 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan