HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 5:24 PM

This was my very first vehicle, it was my parents but they eventually gave it to me. I love this truck, my friends called it the Hulk because it was big, green, and mean. I could write a book of stories related to this thing, but I'll just give you the end. I had it loaded up to go off to university, made it probably 20 minutes out of town and then it just gave out. It stopped dead on the side of the road and that was it. I think I cried for a week, it was almost like losing a best friend.

This was the replacement, but I found the two doors and tiny trunk opening (huge trunk, very small hatch) to be really inconvenient. There is also a massive bar that obscures your vision as you drive, between the drivers door and the windshield. All cars have it obviously, but this thing is HUGE and nearly caused several accidents. It's now my Mom's, and she loves her little red sports car

And another in the mall parking lot (I'd prefer the Charger myself):
100_1214

So, I went back to my truck roots. It's not the Hulk, it's the Cookie Monster. It has a lot more character than I would have expected for an '07 GMC.
Here it is the morning after a cross island drive:

100_2305

And I just like this picture:

100_0753

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 5:56 PM
HVAC guru

1999 Toyota Tacoma "Pepé" 390,000km's Still runs & drives like new

1982 Volvo 242GLT.. summer toy

Project car.. 1984 Volvo 244 Turbo Intercooler. Sill deciding what to do with this one.

Donor Volvo.. that's me inside pulling the injectors while the neighbor looks on

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:21 PM

I remember the car my father drove when I was a child. To think this was a "step-up" from the standard sedan back in the day

1987 Mercury Topaz

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love it! This is my first vehicle that I've ever bought, but I drove/owned others.

1. Dodge Shadow (Drove)
2. Nissan Sentra (Gifted by Mom, when she was ready to trade it in)
3. My current one.

I LOVED the Nissan but everything started to go it in, and it SCREECHED. Everyone in Winnipeg would turn and stare when I was still a block away. It got so embarrassing. But I LOVED that it had O'Neill Motors St. John's written on it.

But now my car has Winnipeg Honda on it still - so it's a trade-off, lol.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:33 PM
not a NIMBY

S at the carwash by LUMIN8, on Flickr

S after a car wash by LUMIN8, on Flickr

2012 Chrysler 200S. I call it S for short so I can say: hey look at that S car go!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:27 PM

Mazdas and skylines represent!

Last edited by Calgarian; Mar 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:48 PM

My car, taken on a discovery mission to find new roads:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:00 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

2002 Lincoln LS V8. I was in an accident when I first moved to St. John's in the fall of 2010 and it was in storage for over a year. I had it sent back home and now it's at my dad's in BC. It should be back in driving condition by the summer and in August I plan to drive it back here so I can tour the Rock a little more.

The only photos I have on Flickr are from when I had new wheels put on it. I broke one in the accident. I'll replace that one though and be stylin' again in no time!

New Wheels by Ayrcan, on Flickr

20s by Ayrcan, on Flickr

Edit: one from facebook from when I first bought her in 2008 (replacing the Mazda MPV behind it).

Last edited by Ayreonaut; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That car is sexy in a MILF way. I like it!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:43 PM

DSC_0252 by eibbor7, on Flickr

Filthy and on winter tires.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:13 PM

Looks like you took your picture from the same place I took mine. Lots of new buildings in your pic over mine (which is 4 years old).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:39 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I remember the car my father drove when I was a child. To think this was a "step-up" from the standard sedan back in the day

1987 Mercury Topaz
My cousin inherited a 1989 Ford Tempo from her grandfather. She said she "feared for her life" on a drive from Ottawa to Toronto, apparently the thing didn't like freeways. They sold it for scrap value when the pathetic 3-speed automatic transmission failed for the third time in 130,000 kilometres.

My parents' 1995 Taurus wasn't much better, damn head gasket blew before 100,000 kilometres and wrecked the engine. Pretty much all the 3.8L Essex engines had this problem. Some family friends had a Taurus sedan with the 3.0L Vulcan V6, which was a damn fine unit, but the AXOD-4 automatic transmission it was attached to cooked itself just shy of 150,000 kilometres, despite getting a full fluid flush at 96,000 like it was supposed to. Aside from the bulletproof Crown Vic, there was a long period where Ford couldn't make a decent car to save their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Mazdas and skylines represent!
I love the 1st-gen Mazda6 hatchback, pity our American friends didn't. Overall, you can thank them for the poor selection of vehicles we get up here (and the lack of diesel engines). The new 6 looks quite nice, by the way; typical superb chassis and it can apparently do around 7.5L/100km in the city. But no hatch option

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:50 AM
Beer me Captain

Ha ha - I love how all the Calgarians have the "same" backdrop to our pictures. You'd almost think this was a skyscraper forum or somthing

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:27 AM
I am a typical

My uncle had two 1986 Mercury Topazes, both dark blue. One was permanently parked as a parts car. He spent more time repairing it than driving it. We used the parts car as a "play car" in the yard. After it died he got an early 90s Plymouth minivan, and he and my aunt kept that running for a lot longer than they should have. I remember one day we opened the sliding passenger door and it fell off. It took him a while to get it back on. It died shortly after my uncle did in 2007.

My dad had a Ford Galaxy when I was a kid (not sure what happened to it). After that he has had a steady stream of 15+ year old used pickups, and I don't think he really knows the feeling of driving in a car that doesn't have a cracked windshield. He also has some sort of little car and everything in and on it is a maroon colour, it's hideous.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:33 AM
The good old days are now

Calgary's skyline looks like it could belong to a city of 5 million people.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:35 AM

5 million sounds right. From that view it looks a little bit bigger than Montreal.

Btw where's the Bow ? Not built yet or hidden ?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 5:51 AM
I am a typical

Under construction in that photo.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post

I love the 1st-gen Mazda6 hatchback, pity our American friends didn't.
You wouldn't believe how much stuff I can pack into my car, it's actually kinda ridiculous! My favourite thing about this hatch is that it looks like it has a trunk, not a hatch.

The new 6 looks awesome, too bad it's only a 4 Cylinder with automatic or paddle shifters, definitely lacks the fun factor. Hopefully they make a speed version with a V6 and proper 6 speed manual...

Quote:
Btw where's the Bow ? Not built yet or hidden ?
This was May 2009, the Bow was not visible yet, same with about 10 buildings that would show up now (Calgary is kinda ridiculous in this regard lol). I should go take another pic from the same angle when I put mu summers back on, just for comparison sake.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 7:30 AM

As of last week, I've had my 1999 Plymouth Neon for 14 years. I bought it brand new from the Chrysler dealership I worked at at the time. It was one of the last cars in the old body style left at the dealership, and they were clearing them out for the new style Neons. Compared to some Neon horror stories I've heard, mine has been relatively reliable, knock on wood. It's a little worse for wear these days but my mechanic is amazed at how well I've looked after it. But coming from Alberta where it saw 8 winters, signs of rust are appearing in the back wheel wells, even though I washed it often. I never did plug it in during those 8 winters and it was always parked outside. It's around 221,000kms now and has taken me through the Rocky Mountains on at least 15 round trips, never with snow tires either. It was tough the day I had to drill holes in the front bumper for the BC plate when I moved here but I'm glad it can live out its life where winters aren't so harsh. I don't use it too often anymore but I have taken it to Seattle a few times in the past year. But no more trips to Calgary with it, those days are over. Most of the older photos I have of it are on film but I do have a few snaps that made it onto flickr:

My Car by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Parking Lot Bully by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Taken last week:

55/365 - Happy 14th Anniversary, Car by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:52 AM
Still optimistic

My car is a bike

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada