HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Dallas has very impressive numbers for India. Wouldn't have guessed that Dallas was the #2 MSA for net Indian immigration growth.
Just a minor anecdote about Dallas and Indian immigrants: In 1989 I was in an Indian restaurant in Paris (France, not Texas). The waiter, who was also the owner, and who, being Indian, was fluent in English, recognized my American accent and asked me where I was from. When I told him Houston, he wanted to know more about Texas because his brother lived in Dallas.

I don’t remember if I actually said it to him, but I was thinking he (the restaurant owner, not the brother) got the better deal.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Wonder why LA is doing so badly, even worse than San Diego...Mexican immigration may have declined but other immigration from other Hispanic groups is surging as are Puerto Ricans leaving their island...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Right, but Mexican immigration is traditionally a big share of immigration to LA. When it shifts to zero, it obviously affects total net immigration.
I’m assuming these numbers are official, documented immigrants. The three top undocumented immigrant cities are New York, Los Angeles and Houston. Don’t remember the numbers for NY and LA, though both are over a million, Houston’s is over 500K. I believe a large percentage of these numbers are immigrants from Mexico.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Going back to the first post, it's wild how much the decline in Mexican immigration has effected some places. Is it expected to be permanently in decline? This is going to shake-up the ethnic diversity in some places. I guess the important aspect of Hispanic communities is high birth rates, so it's possible the communities still grow but the influx of people from the homeland has stopped for the most part.
Birth rates in Latin America are plummeting, and basically like the U.S. I'd guess that Hispanic American birth rates are converging with non-Hispanic American birth rates.

The halt in Latin American migration is entirely political, so whether it resumes is largely a political question, not really suited for this thread. The reason we had almost no Latin American migration these past few years is largely due to Trumpism, and the narrative of "open borders".

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Just a minor anecdote about Dallas and Indian immigrants: In 1989 I was in an Indian restaurant in Paris (France, not Texas). The waiter, who was also the owner, and who, being Indian, was fluent in English, recognized my American accent and asked me where I was from. When I told him Houston, he wanted to know more about Texas because his brother lived in Dallas.

I don’t remember if I actually said it to him, but I was thinking he (the restaurant owner, not the brother) got the better deal.
Much of the accelerating growth of Asian Indian immigrants in places like Dallas is likely due to the high tech US boom in cities like Dallas and also the relocations/expansions to that area. Other areas like Chicago, Detroit, and I believe Houston already relatively significant Asian Indian populations, and they continued to attract them, even if the rate did not accelerate like Dallas.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 8:39 PM

Why is the thread titled "immigrant growth by metro" but then the stats are for urban areas?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions