HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When/if the US runs out of water/resources, American eyes will gaze north.
I don't think that the US will try to invade Canada any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 1:55 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Sounds eerily like the Russian mindset regarding Ukraine. The similarities don't stop there either.

It's from Ukraine that the Russian Empire rose and it's from present day Quebec that huge swaths of present day USA were explored, mapped out, and settled. All this yet many Russians view Ukraine as an appendage that should be part of Russia. I realize you were just stirring the pot but there are certainly factions within the US who view Canada in these terms: a US puppet state/Americans in waiting. Ukrainians were naive about their relationship with Russia and Canadians are naive about their relationship with the United States. When/if the US runs out of water/resources, American eyes will gaze north.

For Canada, the key to continued independence/self determination is to grow big enough, fast enough. Would a population of 80 million by 2100 secure our future as a strong sovereign nation? 100 million? 120 million? These are not things that 99% of the population ever think about but foreign policy think tanks absolutely do. Google 'Century Initiative' if you think they don't. Not only do they make strong arguments but they have the ear of the Federal government. Canada grew by 2.3% in 2022 or 866,000 people. Most of the impetus is economic but there's an important geo-political component to it too.
This comparison to Ukraine is insulting to Americans

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The Canada-NZ comparison makes sense due to each having a big brother right next door who’s culturally almost the same thing except one order of magnitude bigger (and the junior always being in the shadow of the senior on basically all stages — with the lone exception of global hockey tournaments, maybe*)

*If NZ can occasionally kick Australia’s ass at rugby, then the analogy is even more perfect.
New Zealand actually kicks Australia's arse in rugby more often than not. The historical record is something like 3 Kiwi wins for each Aussie win.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
The US does not and likely will not need to invade Canada militarily in order to have access to our resources to the degree that it needs them.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
This comparison to Ukraine is insulting to Americans
As well as, if I may be honest, WAY too optimistic on modern Canadians!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I think that's a very American take on the situation.

Because of the United States, Canada has always had to live in a position of compromise so as not to disturb the sleeping beast.

For example, I'm not too proud that we clung to being a dominion of Great Britain for as long as we did, but, in hindsight, I'm glad we were a domain of the world's largest power during those years between 1865-1918 when America was feeling particularly brawny, there were no international rules, and it saw the rest of the Western Hemisphere as its exploitable playground. To this day, where Canada can have a world presence at all, it's either in digging stuff out of the ground that just happen to be on our territory, in little niche industries that aren't of strategic importance - like film production - or in companies that own global assets that are managed elsewhere or provide unsexy services that have no public presence. Whenever there's anything remotely strategic, like aerospace or smartphones or telecommunications, it gets snuffed out. Some of that is the fault of shortsighted Canadian business attitudes, but I don't think we'll ever see a Canadian equivalent of TSMC or ASML or have a Canadian-owned company own a globally-significant share of cloud computing infrastructure.

We'll always be resigned to offering Americans medium-value goods and services in a country that's integrated into your supply chain and where you can pay workers about 75% of what you would back home. That means that our best and brightest - whether they're in industries that could vault us forward or cultural stars that could put us on the world stage - are yours for the taking.
I think this is a bit of a misread of American culture and hegemonic history. Prior to WW1, the U.S. would pretty much only send its military to protect economic interests. The U.S. moved into Spanish colonies because the Spanish empire was in the midst of a messy collapse, and it threatened trade agreements between U.S. companies and suppliers in Spain's Caribbean territories. I'm not sure why the U.S. would've had a military conflict with Canada between 1865 and 1918. If anything, I think Canada participated in way more imperialistic endeavors during that period than did the United States...

Last edited by iheartthed; Dec 30, 2022 at 4:28 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:24 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think this is a bit of a misread of American culture and hegemonic history. Prior to WW1, the U.S. would pretty much only send its military to protect economic interests. The U.S. moved into Spanish colonies because the Spanish empire was in the midst of a messy collapse, and it threatened trade agreements between U.S. companies as suppliers in Spain's Caribbean territories. I'm not sure why the U.S. would've had a military conflict with Canada between 1865 and 1918. If anything, I think Canada participated in way more imperialistic endeavors during that period than did the United States...
Yes as a proud member of the British empire Canada participated in a polity that bestrode the globe . I wonder, how many upper class Canadians ended up as imperialists in places like India and Africa — has this history ever been investigated ?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 12:42 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
this is almost like being concerned that the U.S. military might invade Alaska…

Now, a former U.S. state or collection of former states in a post U.S. North America is a different question.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 2:39 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The US does not and likely will not need to invade Canada militarily in order to have access to our resources to the degree that it needs them.
Depends on who's in the White House and if they hire Candace Owens.
Just to be sure, there should be a referendum in each province and territory for our 2024 elections. I know at least three forumers who wouldn't mind being annexed or who would vote "yes" to join the Union.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions