HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 11:12 PM

Portland, Maine: East Bayside

Here are a few pictures I've taken of Portland, Maine (city pop. 68,408; metro pop. 203,914). I just moved back here a couple weeks ago (I lived here for several years in my late teens/early 20's).

Most of these pictures focus on the neighborhood I currently live in; it's technically called East Bayside, but it mostly blends into the adjacent Bayside and East End/Munjoy Hill neighborhoods.

And then the rest of the photos are of Downtown Portland, specifically the Arts District.

We'll start in East Bayside.
East Bayside is a dense, mixed use commercial/residential neighborhood within walking distance of Downtown. It's an integral part of Portland's urban core.
Unfortunately, it has been gentrifying a lot over the past few years, driving up rent and homogenizing one of the last remaining parts of the city that still has any urban grit and charm.
Similarly, the adjacent Bayside neighborhood, the area in which the city's primary homeless shelters are all clustered, is also gentrifying, and the shelters are all moving to a single location on the edge of the city in April.
I'll admit, I was unhoused myself from Aug. 2016 to May 2017, and if it wasn't for the city shelters and the various social services all clustered in this area, I might not have survived. Portland has a very large unhoused population, and it's really awful that the city is doing this to them (though not at all surprising), all for the sake of gentrification and "property values" and so some white homeowners don't have to see anything "unpleasant."
Anyway, rant over. Here are the pictures.

These next few are of Downtown Portland

Hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 5:10 PM

Nice pictures!

Are all those construction pictures of the new tallest building Maine going up? Just different angles at the end?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 7:56 AM

Keep 'em coming, AlyssaGrace!

xzmattzx, you're right: that's 201 Federal Street, Maine's new tallest at a scandalous 18 stories! Pretty cool that it's residential too.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 12:52 AM

Thank you for the tour!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos