HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:44 PM
video et taceo

No, Denmark wasn't open, it had I believe some mask regulations as well as the use of a vaccine pass for certain events and venues.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardilimo View Post
Ultra electronic music fest was just cancelled.
Which is mind blowing because it’s in Miami, where no one has cared about Covid since May 2020. Source though? I haven’t heard anything about this.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 12:09 AM
你的媽媽

Isn't it all outdoors too? At least it was when I last went in 2015.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 6:48 AM

Yes, its outdoors. Where do you see that it is cancelled? It was cancelled last year. I was actually wondering where they were going to have it this year since they got evicted from Downtown a couple of years back and had to hold it on Virginia Key which was a disaster in 2020. Its not until late March. I would be surprised if its cancelled.

edit: I see its back in Bayfront Park where it belongs.
I see nothing on it being cancelled. Its twitter feed and website mention nothing

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 1:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardilimo View Post
Ultra electronic music fest was just cancelled.
If it’s because of Covid, they are idiots. Dumb people deserve to go out of business.

Thankfully, Chicago Auto Show is back to its full schedule this February and I’m planning to go. Everybody who wants to say home and cower over not catching a bad cold can go ahead and stay home. I love living and doing things

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 7:30 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If it’s because of Covid, they are idiots. Dumb people deserve to go out of business.

Thankfully, Chicago Auto Show is back to its full schedule this February and I’m planning to go. Everybody who wants to say home and cower over not catching a bad cold can go ahead and stay home. I love living and doing things
CDC estimates that for the 2021-22 flu season there have been at least 2 million flu illnesses, 20,000 hospitalizations, and 1,200 deaths.

Yesterday in the United States there were 2,732 deaths from covid. So in one day there have been over double the amount of deaths from people dying of covid than from the flu for the entire flu season.

Sure most all the people that are dying are not vaccinated like this guy:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rober...b04f9a12bd8084

Washington State Trooper Who Quit Over Vaccine Mandates Reportedly Dies Of COVID
Robert LaMay famously quit his job with a bitter videotaped sign-off directed at Gov. Jay Islee over his strict COVID vaccine mandates.LaMay told Fox that he obtained a religious vaccine exemption, but that he decided that required changes in his job due to his unvaccinated status were unacceptable

I wonder if Fox News who paraded this man on their shows is letting their followers know he just died of covid? Probably not.

Anyway I am not posting any of this to say we shouldn't go on with life as usual, which I have. But to say this is a bad cold is disingenuous and can be deadly to those who believe it and choose not to get vaccinated.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 8:03 PM
The City

^ It is a bad cold. For the vaccinated. Period, end of discussion.

For the unvaccinated, I could care less. They’ve had plenty of time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 4:54 AM

Flu deaths are also unusually low right now because it’s being crowded out by Covid.

A person whose health is compromised is likely to be infected by both (and actually multiple) viruses, and the cause of death recorded will be Covid-19.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:42 AM
perhaps . . .

Well, now I know why I haven't looked into this thread before. Why is it so hard for simple information to outperform idiocy? Good luck to you.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Well, now I know why I haven't looked into this thread before. Why is it so hard for simple information to outperform idiocy? Good luck to you.

I challenge anyone to "get" the meaning of your post.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Simple information like the fact that it’s almost impossible for a vaccinated person to become seriously ill from omicron, and we should all stop giving a shit?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 10:06 PM

In Mexico City most or at least many people are still wearing masks outside. There is, of course, no scientific evidence to support this. Combination of government that wants to demonstrate authority and an effectively frightened population, I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 6:51 AM
perhaps . . .

Almost, but I won't get pulled into this nonsense. No one is convincing anyone else. It's too late for that. I won't try to tell stupid people how to not be what they are. I won't check back so don't waste your time on me.

Last edited by Marshal; Feb 1, 2022 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
In Mexico City most or at least many people are still wearing masks outside. There is, of course, no scientific evidence to support this. Combination of government that wants to demonstrate authority and an effectively frightened population, I suppose.
I was very surprised at the prevalence of mask wearing by the locals in Mexico when I was there in December. Moreso than any other travel destination I've been to in the last year. It all seemed a bit gratuitous though. People would line up to get into the club wearing masks and then rip them off inside on a packed dance floor with hundreds of people.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I was very surprised at the prevalence of mask wearing by the locals in Mexico when I was there in December. Moreso than any other travel destination I've been to in the last year. It all seemed a bit gratuitous though. People would line up to get into the club wearing masks and then rip them off inside on a packed dance floor with hundreds of people.
Yes. It’s all theater.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Almost, but I won't get pulled into this nonsense. No one is convincing anyone else. It's too late for that. I won't try to tell stupid people how to not be what they are. I won't check back so don't waste your time on me.
You may or may not read this, but I assure you that no one cares what you think.

Do you know where people are being stupid about Covid? Canada.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Hopefully the truckers et al can help change it by annoying the crap out of the authoritarians in Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:38 PM

You obviously don't know how our politics works if you think that will happen. Doug Ford is probably laughing his head off at those truckers.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Do you know where people are being stupid about Covid? Canada.
There was a recent poll out and we're up to 54% who want all restrictions gone. I think things will flip pretty soon, though it might require a more significant drop in hospitalizations. It won't happen due to the truckers and they might make it take longer, though a lot of our restrictions are provincial so it doesn't really matter how many people show up in Ottawa for those.

One cultural quirk in Canada is that public healthcare is considered kind of sacred here (partly due to it being perceived as superior compared to the US; we only have so many things like that so we have to really lean into the ones we've got), and as in the UK we have a chronically struggling system with a lot of heavy bureaucracy and credentialism. You can always say the system's at 90% capacity or 103% and the staff are all burned out and so on. I think it would be good to solve this issue but it's not really new or particular to covid or best solved through pandemic restrictions.

I've also noticed our "Overton window" shifted really quickly in the direction of restrictions. BC is considered one of the more laissez-faire provinces for example but we still have a mask mandate and vaccine passports and for a while gyms were closed during omicron when they already had all of that in place plus I think 50% capacity limits. Before they were closed and the measures were tightened a bit for omicron there was a significant group presenting the status quo in Canada (90% vaccinated etc.) as "let 'er rip". Similarly there are people who act as though 1 death per million per day (weighted heavily toward sick or very old or those who didn't take the vaccine they could have) is an enormous crisis.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:55 PM

^ Interesting. I had assumed that the public health system in Canada was at least better funded, given that it’s a wealthier country than the UK (ex-London). In the UK, the NHS at this point is a liability to the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions