HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Glad to hear trees are going in but a 95 degree day is hardly the time to shock a new street tree
The shock to the trees happened when they were dug up. This is not a good time of year for trees to be transplanted, but once the trees are dug up, then getting them back in the ground and cared for ASAP is required. 5 to 10 gallons of water every other day!

Although the City gives out bonus space for building a green roof, it looks to me that what we see on the lower, finished section is what we get.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

what is the diameter of the tree trunk? Small trees less than or equal to 2 inches in caliper can survived if they were pulled out of the ground properly (i.e., taken out with enough surrounding soiled to make a root ball no less than 2 ft in diameter. And yes, once re-planted, needs a good and deep soaking of the root ball, plus mulch on top. Water every 3rd day in this heat wave and it should survive if done correctly. But, who knows if someone will stay on top of this kind of maintenance until this fall to keep it alive.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
what is the diameter of the tree trunk? Small trees less than or equal to 2 inches in caliper can survived if they were pulled out of the ground properly (i.e., taken out with enough surrounding soiled to make a root ball no less than 2 ft in diameter. And yes, once re-planted, needs a good and deep soaking of the root ball, plus mulch on top. Water every 3rd day in this heat wave and it should survive if done correctly. But, who knows if someone will stay on top of this kind of maintenance until this fall to keep it alive.
We need a streets gardening thread!

/s

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:22 AM

Quote:

So good of you to volunteer for watering duty. I'll supply you with a hose.
Lets face it, to most developers trees, and their survival, are not a high priority.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:30 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
So good of you to volunteer for watering duty. I'll supply you with a hose.
Lets face it, to most developers trees, and their survival, are not a high priority.
hose is no good without water, preferably a portable water tank on a truck lol. developers should care about landscaping, it adds to the appeal of their project and aesthetics. I can only imagine it's a tiny part of the budget for development and afterwards, from condo fees or rent, this cost can easily be part of things like routine maintenance and upkeep.

I think the Alexander does a good job with this and an institution example like the barnes foundation museum does a superb job of keeping the grounds.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Aug 11, 2022 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:46 PM
Chris

^ If I lived nearby I'd happily water them. I actually find things like that therapeutic, lol.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
hose is no good without water, preferably a portable water tank on a truck lol.
I just had an idea for a dystopian TV series where some armed guy goes around in a tank truck trying to save the last remaining city street trees, amidst water scarcity. ....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:02 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I just had an idea for a dystopian TV series where some armed guy goes around in a tank truck trying to save the last remaining city street trees, amidst water scarcity. ....
Let's start on writing a script and then we can pitch it to Netflix...LOL.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Let's start on writing a script and then we can pitch it to Netflix...LOL.
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:15 PM

^lol

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 3:28 PM

Photo from Forum Member TonyTone (Tony V). You can see this one rising under the second tower crane in the background of the photo:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 6:14 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:50 PM

Construction Underway At 501 Spring Garden Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:51 PM

As this project will include an Amazon Fresh store, an observation on the grand opening of a branch in Broomall: Well stocked and well organized. For some reason it just seemed easier to find things. The biggest feature: using an app to enter and exit, with no checkout. Sensors all over the ceiling monitor what you put in your bag. It was frighteningly accurate except for two blocks of cheese that I examined and returned to the shelf, yet was charged for anyway. It took me 15 minutes of chatting with a customer service rep to get that fixed, because I did not receive a receipt for some hours after the visit and the product were labeled as not returnable.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 12:10 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
As this project will include an Amazon Fresh store, an observation on the grand opening of a branch in Broomall: Well stocked and well organized. For some reason it just seemed easier to find things. The biggest feature: using an app to enter and exit, with no checkout. Sensors all over the ceiling monitor what you put in your bag. It was frighteningly accurate except for two blocks of cheese that I examined and returned to the shelf, yet was charged for anyway. It took me 15 minutes of chatting with a customer service rep to get that fixed, because I did not receive a receipt for some hours after the visit and the product were labeled as not returnable.
Yeah, I find the technology neat and cutting edge. But compared to Whole Foods, the pizza wasn't as good as Whole Foods and while they had Kumamoto oysters, they did not shuck them for you in the store like Whole Foods nor were they on ice like Whole Foods. For now, I'll stick with Whole Foods.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 1:41 PM
Chris

What is the cladding on the tower portion? Metal or cast concrete (or similar)?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
What is the cladding on the tower portion? Metal or cast concrete (or similar)?
Looks like pretty standard metal paneling. The white looks fine I guess but that yellow stripe on the top looks so odd to me.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 4:42 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Looks like pretty standard metal paneling. The white looks fine I guess but that yellow stripe on the top looks so odd to me.
Gotcha. The building looks okay due to the large window openings and general plainness of the design. But yea the yellow is meh.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:49 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:09 PM

Great shots!
Looks like they have just one more floor to go!
What an improvement over that strip mall. I lived at 4th and Brown from '11-16; that whole area south of me is incredible....yet a restaurant at 5th and Fairmont still can't sustain, that place is cursed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive