HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Century City is so weirdly unique. It's skyline rivals that of a lot of major US cities.
True that. Century City doesn't have dozens and dozens of tall buildings like most major US cities' downtowns do, but what Century City does have is a collection of fairly tall towers, relative to many downtown skylines--it has five 500+ foot towers, four 400-500 footers, and eight 300-400 footers.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 12:31 AM

Had a chance to go around Echo Park today. That area is booming with new infill. Not giant buildings, but it seems the small ones are adding up.

Temple St, City West, Chinatown, same thing.

Everything seems denser than the last time I was there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 12:39 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative61 View Post
Nice Pictures! According to list above, the new Century plaza twin towers are 537" and the Sun America building in 533". I don't think so!!
Yea I think they are 600' indeed, the other twins are 571' and CPTT look taller

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
True that. Century City doesn't have dozens and dozens of tall buildings like most major US cities' downtowns do, but what Century City does have is a collection of fairly tall towers, relative to many downtown skylines--it has five 500+ foot towers, four 400-500 footers, and eight 300-400 footers.
I don't see any new towers under construction in Century City. I would think it would be a favorable location especially for new residential. Is it due to lack of land or land use restrictions?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I don't see any new towers under construction in Century City. I would think it would be a favorable location especially for new residential. Is it due to lack of land or land use restrictions?
Nothing u/c but there's a couple of proposals and the Fox Studios expansion. There's the Beverly Hilton development (2 30 story buildings) that's Century City adjacent as well.

It just built 3 40 story residential buildings. It's not hurting for new construction, there's just nothing at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Nothing u/c but there's a couple of proposals and the Fox Studios expansion. There's the Beverly Hilton development (2 30 story buildings) that's Century City adjacent as well.

It just built 3 40 story residential buildings. It's not hurting for new construction, there's just nothing at the moment.
Any information on the Wilshire Gayley in Westwood? I heard that they might be getting started soon on the 426 foot 29 story building that will resemble the Flatiron Building in New York.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 9:51 AM

The L.A. Times on Monday had a big front page story on the "non profit" HIV foundation trying to block new development and housing all over the city, but especially in the Hollywood area. Strange that a "non profit" HIV foundation would use its funds to block badly needed housing, especially around transit ststions. Since when is restricting new housing going to help people who can't find or afford housing? Less supply = higher prices and rents. Shouldn't it be focused on HIV issues rather than being A big "Nimby" advocate? Maybe somebody could link the article.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The L.A. Times on Monday had a big front page story on the "non profit" HIV foundation trying to block new development and housing all over the city, but especially in the Hollywood area. Strange that a "non profit" HIV foundation would use its funds to block badly needed housing, especially around transit ststions. Since when is restricting new housing going to help people who can't find or afford housing? Less supply = higher prices and rents. Shouldn't it be focused on HIV issues rather than being A big "Nimby" advocate? Maybe somebody could link the article.
That guy has been around for 7 or 8 years. He usually fails.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinDPB View Post
Any information on the Wilshire Gayley in Westwood? I heard that they might be getting started soon on the 426 foot 29 story building that will resemble the Flatiron Building in New York.
That would be an incredible groundbreaking. I love Robert AM Stern's work by and large and love this project in particular.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/develo...westwood-tower

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 5:50 PM
DENNAB

Quote:

Are those still active proposals? Very excited if they are...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 5:59 PM

Robert Stern designed a residential development in Newport Beach with a similar design.

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...126-story.html

Robert Stern also designed 1331 Maryland Ave, SW in DC.

Image courtesy of Architect Magazine.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 9:17 PM

Quote:
That guy has been around for 7 or 8 years. He usually fails.
Usually fails, but it delays badly needed housing projects for months or years. Has anyone tried to challenge the non profit status when funds are used for purposes unrelated to the purpose of the foundation, like blocking real estate developments?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
That would be an incredible groundbreaking. I love Robert AM Stern's work by and large and love this project in particular.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/develo...westwood-tower

One of my fave projects also. Love the flatiron bldg. in NYC. There's a triangular parcel in DTLA where Broadway and Spring come together that would also be good for a flat iron type building.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Are those still active proposals? Very excited if they are...
Yes, the Beverly Hills Hilton one had updates a few months ago. Approved, I believe.

The Fox expansion is more long term, but has a bunch of 20-30 story buildings included.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinDPB View Post
Where did you hear about that one?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 3:08 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Yes, the Beverly Hills Hilton one had updates a few months ago. Approved, I believe.

The Fox expansion is more long term, but has a bunch of 20-30 story buildings included.
That's this one right? (Beverly, not Fox)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:44 AM

Quote:

If only Los Angeles Country Club would sell the south side of Wilshire to developers...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
That's this one right? (Beverly, not Fox)

Yes. It's approved.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Yea I think they are 600' indeed, the other twins are 571' and CPTT look taller
Google Earth was finally updated with the complete towers, so you can finally see their full height using the elevation tool.

They both stand 856 feet above sea-level, so from Avenue of the Stars and the podium they are on, they are roughly 562 feet tall, and from Solar Way they are 589 feet.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:34 PM

Great progress on the new 120K sq ft office building in Chinatown.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/120000...natown-station

Hope we can they can fill up the re-done Capitol Milling building soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations