HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Thanks! But you gotta save those images out of Google and rehost them somewhere so I can see them!.

Imgur.com is really good, or if you email them to me at combusean@gmail.com I can post them.
My bad, just me being lazy because my phone automatically uploads to Google. Should be fixed now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 11:53 PM

According to phoenix.gov, a bid was awarded to "The Derby Roosevelt Row" -- any clue what that is?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
According to phoenix.gov, a bid was awarded to "The Derby Roosevelt Row" -- any clue what that is?
Sounds like a residence of some kind.

however "the derby" was also a bar in Scottsdale until about 8 or 9 months ago.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Sounds like a residence of some kind.

however "the derby" was also a bar in Scottsdale until about 8 or 9 months ago.
It doesn't give a location or anything?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 5:43 PM

No, the Phoenix site is truly awful; the award was in response to the generic "downtown redevelopment" RFP, so it could technically be proposed anywhere within downtown's boundaries.

The only details were the name - The Derby - and developer "Derby/Amstar LLC." Not very helpful. Not sure why they can't at least try to be as thorough as the Tempe site. It's nuts how long it takes to see site plans, if they're ever found.

There still isn't much available for the 3-4 story Eric Brown project next to Artisan Village, even though that's gone through variances.

I saw a photo posted by Be Coffee with a caption about the most exciting development to come downtown: a massive parking lot north of MonOrchid. Yes, nothing creates a vibrant scene around your business than asphalt. Then again, these guys raised significant GoFundMe cash and AFAIK have yet to open anything in the actual Dressing Room space, so... but, beyond the fact that the premise of using acres of public land for parking given the surplus of spaces repeatedly found is absurd, I don't see how it is legal. The RFP was for staging, followed by conversion to parking lots... obviously, this was written specifically for Baron, the only developer needing staging space nearby. Are RFPs not really regulated?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:00 PM
Skyriser

You could email CED and ask them what's up with that lot.

But what's the problem with parking on a nearby vacant lot if it corrects the false presumption that there's no parking in that area?

Parking lots look better than vacant lots anyways.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
You could email CED and ask them what's up with that lot.

But what's the problem with parking on a nearby vacant lot if it corrects the false presumption that there's no parking in that area?

Parking lots look better than vacant lots anyways.
I already know what's up with the lot - Rainey and co. have been bitching about parking for years, and joined Baron in lobbying the City to allow the city-owned properties along 2nd Street to be used as construction staging short-term, and 'district parking' long term. Thus, my first beef which is creating an RFP with the sole purpose of awarding a specific bid the contract.

Paving the entirety of downtown isn't the solution to misguided perceptions. Eventually, these lots will fill and the cries will start again. As I mentioned in my email to the city, it would be wiser to invest in a PR/marketing campaign, signage, and real-time parking app given the proven data that a surplus exists. The concept of 'district parking' is also so suburban -- what's wrong with parking on McKinley, stumbling upon Cobra Arcade, and heading over to First Friday after? The obsession with building parking immediately adjacent to destinations hurts downtown as a whole.

These lots are also large piece of land that currently divide Roosevelt from Hance Park and with the City's fetish for RFPs, you'd think that trying to encourage development to connect the two would be a bigger priority. With the area south of Roosevelt near build-out because of the PBC, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see interest move north if possible.

It's also just annoying that the Roosevelt Row crew has once again yelled loud enough to get their way in spite of the impact their wishes have on the area's built environment. Just like they were ill-informed on the benefits of parallel parking, they are ignorant to the parking inventory downtown. They were also vocal opponents of the more-than-satisfactory plan to turn this land into live/work and senior housing because it would ruin the vibe' of the neighborhood, yet asphalt will really activate the scene? And, just next to the east lot is the dilapidated Knipe House, planned as a brewery in the plans noted above, but will now sit behind a fence for the forseeable future.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:08 AM

I always kind of hated this building and hoped it would be redeveloped someday in tandem with the Hyatt garage, but it's good to see that it is at least attracting tenants. Rather decent roster, and as someone mentioned, a new pub will be opening next to Piazza Locale, which leaves only the old Deli space along Washington empty.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...n-phoenix.html

On a tangential note, any chance in hell at the Hyatt undergoing major renovations and maybe building a complementary brand along 1st Street or where the garage sits now?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:30 PM

65 smaller (< 1000 ft.) condos, "Capital Mall Lofts," proposed for about 1 acre of currently vacant land on 10th Ave and Washington. Seems like the right kind of development for the area as Capital Phase I of the light rail moves forward. Looks like four stories of residents, on top of one story of (mostly) parking. No commercial uses I can see now, but I don't know that the area really needs it yet.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-2-16n.pdf

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
65 smaller (< 1000 ft.) condos, "Capital Mall Lofts," proposed for about 1 acre of currently vacant land on 10th Ave and Washington. Seems like the right kind of development for the area as Capital Phase I of the light rail moves forward. Looks like four stories of residents, on top of one story of (mostly) parking. No commercial uses I can see now, but I don't know that the area really needs it yet.

The area west of 7th ave,, South of downtown and Garfield are primed for gentrification over the next 10-20 years.

cant wait to see what happens!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Great location. Will be great to have that blight cleaned up right next to the beautiful Carnegie library.

FYI, back to basics automotive on that same block is a great automotive shop.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:05 PM

Did we already have something about these townhomes near the Biltmore?

Rosedale Residences will be located at 4438 N. 27th St. in Phoenix.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...slated-in.html

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:20 PM

^ Old news brotha

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:05 PM

The architect of that project will probably do something very interesting, Bing has pretty solid talent.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 8:55 AM

I'll admit that I was proven wrong very quickly about investment occurring in the Capitol Mall area. I would never have believed a for-sale residential project would be proposed on this lot for several years after light rail opened. But, I am really sick of CCBG's projects. They designed both of Baron's projects on Roosevelt that use the same bullshit rationale that they have fulfilled the goals of the various planning codes by placing fitness and leasing centers along the street. The purpose of mixed use is to make the most efficient use of land by incorporating uses that attract different visitors at different points of the day which has other benefits like added pedestrian life = more security, etc. Who the fuck is EVER going to use a streetfront entrance to the private fitness center? Who will feel safer walking to the Capitol because they will pass a window of an empty room filled with a row of treadmills?

If you want to debate whether mixed use is appropriate for a site, that's fine. But, call a spade a spade. Architects blabbering about the incredible pedestrian environment they cultivated by designing superblocks of leasing centers is disingenuous and annoying.

SHOCKER, I *do* think true mixed use is needed here. The important thing for the Capitol Mall, IMO, is to make it a safe environment that will allow the area's potential tourist assets to form an actual destination, and provide employees (and now residents) in the area a safe environment for things like getting lunch, or running a quick errand. Something as simple as a cafe on the corner with a patio would put eyes on the street adjacent to transit and across from a beautiful potential tourist site and residential amenity. It would provide at least 1 food option for these groups, and would be a good first building block a truly walkable Capitol Mall.

Commercial investment has to happen eventually if it's going to be a successful TOD neighborhood. The more lots that get filled with fitness centers, the less likely it is that it will ever function as envisioned with things like pharmacies, dry cleaners, and salons for residents, and restaurants and cafes for employees and visitors; all of which, when designed right, would create a safer environment that feeds into and supports the greater downtown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:12 PM

I happen to study under one of the founders of that firm and I think they do quality design work with all of their projects. Again you are wrong...the decision about incorporating retail comes from the owner/ developer...neither of the projects you mentioned has the firm acting under the capacity as owner/developer. The owner is not going to proceed with retail when it doesn't pencil out. I've talked to many developers who say it's generally not equitable to incorporate in many projects. If the market dictates there is no need for auxiliary retail within the project then its not necessary. Both projects on Roosevelt do have retail on the first floor. Where would you rather a fitness and leasing office? In the basement? Once again your ignorance amazes me....

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:53 PM

Cut the snark, that's not necessary.

Retail space costs money to build and maintain, in many cases the rents that have to be charged to put it in the black are too high and you end up with long term vacancies so many developers are scared off. I work in residential but do work along side many commercial brokers so while I'm not an expert in retail I know enough to be dangerous and that's what they have told me.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Cut the snark, that's not necessary.

Retail space costs money to build and maintain, in many cases the rents that have to be charged to put it in the black are too high and you end up with long term vacancies so many developers are scared off. I work in residential but do work along side many commercial brokers so while I'm not an expert in retail I know enough to be dangerous and that's what they have told me.
Well said. It amounts to most developers building housing being residential developers. They know the economics of residential and have far less risk when they fill the first floor with something they know they can lease out. I'm all for ground retail, I'm just saying alot of developers only provide for that if they are forced as there is more risk in it for them.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 4:20 PM

Deleted

Last edited by azsunsurfer; Feb 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:09 PM
Skyriser

Rooftops beget retail.

When that's not the only 4 story residential building in the area, retail will follow. And maybe it'll fill up the space next door replacing the existing neighborhood "amenities" like an at-risk youth center and automotive shop.

I'd rather mourn the loss of good-bones retail buildings for generic largely single-use projects like what happened on Roosevelt St. I don't care really about the south project, but Baron's northern project tore down a sort of historic (or otherwise Jane Jacobs old) building for the area that well fronted the street. Buildings like that are becoming an endangered species downtown with the coming loss of the stuff on the west side of 1st.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest