HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:10 PM
你的媽媽

I think those numbers were recorded from downtown SF. It's usually about 20-30 degrees cooler on the other side of Twin Peaks (where I'm assuming twinpeaks lives). It was super crowded at the beaches that day.

Fortunately for SF residents, the beach is easily accessible with 2 Muni Metro light rail lines that stop right at the beach (N Judah and L Taraval) and numerous bus lines as well (5 Fulton, 7 Haight/Noriega, 18 46th Ave, 23 Monterey, 29 Sunset, 31 Balboa, 38 Geary, 48 Quintara/24th St, 58 Lake Merced).

The light rail stops:
https://goo.gl/maps/xup8oBbHaG9JNp2E6
https://goo.gl/maps/eTMfdBb9ayuTY5iWA

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, I was there during this heatwave.
I looked back on my photos, I was actually on Ocean Beach that late afternoon, it was in the 80s, so it was actually nice :-). Most days are cold and foggy.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Fortunately for SF residents, the beach is easily accessible …
And going into the water is the ultimate remedy to shell-shock anyone out of any heat wave issues!

Speaking from personal experience too

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 7:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And going into the water is the ultimate remedy to shell-shock anyone out of any heat wave issues!

Speaking from personal experience too
Well if it’s 106F outside (41C) I think a dip in the frigid NorCal Pacific waters would be welcome. If it’s typical SF weather then I’m probably just dipping in my toes.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I lived in San Francisco for a combined 24 years, leaving in early 2020. It does get over 100 degrees, but very rarely. It has only happened four times since 2000. On September 1, 2017, SF hit 106 degrees, an all time high, and that was absolutely miserable. The next day, SF hit 102. The city also hit 103 degrees on June 14, 2000 and 101 degrees on May 30, 2001. I never had air conditioning in any of my five SF apartments. Even the shops and restaurants generally don't have a/c in SF, although I think that is beginning to change.
Miami has never reached 100 degrees. Who would have thought SF had a higher max temperature than Miami

**(Yes I know with humidity and heat index factored in, Miami gets hotter every single summer day than SF ever ever gets, I was just pointing out a silly fact)**

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Miami has never reached 100 degrees. Who would have thought SF had a higher max temperature than Miami

**(Yes I know with humidity and heat index factored in, Miami gets hotter every single summer day than SF ever ever gets, I was just pointing out a silly fact)**
Not that I care, but per Wikipedia, Miami hit 100 on July 21, 1942.

I can tell you that the day SF hit 106°F even the pool in my complex couldn't keep me cool. I felt a duty to check on my nonagenarian neighbor a couple of times that day--first time I knocked, she bellowed "Hold on, let me get dressed!" and I knew she was okay. But it was rough. The entire complex was sweltering.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 6:58 AM

Quote:
I think those numbers were recorded from downtown SF. It's usually about 20-30 degrees cooler on the other side of Twin Peaks (where I'm assuming twinpeaks lives). It was super crowded at the beaches that day.

Fortunately for SF residents, the beach is easily accessible with 2 Muni Metro light rail lines that stop right at the beach (N Judah and L Taraval) and numerous bus lines as well (5 Fulton, 7 Haight/Noriega, 18 46th Ave, 23 Monterey, 29 Sunset, 31 Balboa, 38 Geary, 48 Quintara/24th St, 58 Lake Merced).

The light rail stops:
https://goo.gl/maps/xup8oBbHaG9JNp2E6
https://goo.gl/maps/eTMfdBb9ayuTY5iWA
Wasn't even the coast hot during that heat wave? No marine layer even at the beach. The water was still cold. Felt refreshing that day I bet.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
This thread made me think of that quote from author Helen Hunt Jackson (Oct. 15, 1830 -- Aug. 12, 1885) regarding the weather in southern California:

"The wet season is the season in which it can rain but may not; and the dry season is the season in which it cannot rain, but occasionally does."
Variation in L.A. annual rainfall over the years: as little as 4 inches to almost 40 inches. Like a box of choc'lates...never know what you'll get. The average of about 14.5 inches means nothing. In 2004/2005 rainy season L.A. got 38 inches, and there were ferns and mushrooms popping up everywhere. The rains of of 1937/38 may have even been greater, as were a few years in the 1800s where large parts of what is now west L.A. were under water. The L.A. River during one of these 19th century floods changed its outlet, from Santa Monica Bay to what is now Long Beach. 1937/38 led to the channalization of the L.A. River by the Army Corps of Engineers, which the region is now trying to roll back to a more natural river. Steelhead trout or salmon used to be caught regularly in the river until the channalization.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 24, 2022 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the West Coast is really the Best Coast when it comes to weather.

This map just shows how terrible the weather is in the middle of the US. Kansas City and St Louis are hotter than Miami (with just as much humidity) and you can’t even go to the beach for relief. And in the winter, Miami’s weather is perfect and these places are frozen. Yuck.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This map just shows how terrible the weather is in the middle of the US. Kansas City and St Louis are hotter than Miami (with just as much humidity) and you can’t even go to the beach for relief. And in the winter, Miami’s weather is perfect and these places are frozen. Yuck.
So is the entire East coast? Miami being a few degrees colder seems like an anomaly.

I wouldn't say Miami has perfect winter weather either. It's usually in the 90's in February, shit is hot.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 8:35 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I dislike extreme heat or extreme cold.
Username checks out.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 9:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Username checks out.
Having lived in Upstate NY and Houston for all my life, I agree with him. Coastal California climate is just perfect.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 9:26 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Having lived in Upstate NY and Houston for all my life, I agree with him. Coastal California climate is just perfect.
It sure is!

If he or she is not that old (you too I guess), I recommend they watch L.A. Story.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 11:21 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
dudes right. its often hotter in St. Louis than Nashville, and always hotter than Atlanta (in summer). i actually drove south into national forest where it was much cooler with my daughter to find a shaded playground that wasn’t smoking.

now, Oklahoma/Texas has us beat - i mean thats where our weather comes from. just drunkenly driving up rte 66 in a flame car from hell.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
So is the entire East coast? Miami being a few degrees colder seems like an anomaly.

I wouldn't say Miami has perfect winter weather either. It's usually in the 90's in February, shit is hot.
This is simply not the case. I spent the entire month of February there last year and I’m not sure it ever hit 80. Maybe out by the airport, but not near the water.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 1:36 AM

When I lived near redondo bch several yrs ago, I recall the backyard pool wasn't as useful around there as it would have been in the valley or further inland. Coastal LA tends to be always under the influence of the marine layer or what's a higher level version of the fog that SF is notorious for.

For ppl living further away from the coast, that ocean air is a form of natural AC. But for the beaches of LA, the cooler weather makes them less ideal for a hot summer resort vibe...as what's found in florida, the Caribbean or the southern Mediterranean. I notice many of the past days of this live cam of venice bch shows a lot of a marine layer.

https://youtu.be/vvOjJoSEFM0

^ The cooler coastal weather & lower humidity are now preferred by me. But when I was younger, I spent one summer several miles to the south in the cloudy marine weather of Long bch. I recall getting quite a sunburn....the lack of direct sun & heat misleads a person to assume that ultraviolet rays won't be bad

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
This is simply not the case. I spent the entire month of February there last year and I’m not sure it ever hit 80. Maybe out by the airport, but not near the water.
It doesn't get to 90 in February in Miami. That is more like late April (and then stays that way until mid-October)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:16 PM

This is one of the world's more prominent hot weather cities, Dubai. Disregarding its govt & politics, if it were in a more temperate climate, I could get what the person interviewed at the start of this vid is all about. But different strokes for different folks. Plus every city, every country has both its good & bad points.

https://youtu.be/kdZYhfHYHtY

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
It doesn't get to 90 in February in Miami. That is more like late April (and then stays that way until mid-October)
Yeah exactly. I was saying that I’m not sure it even reached 80 by the water. Miami winter weather is pretty much ideal.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
When I lived near redondo bch several yrs ago, I recall the backyard pool wasn't as useful around there as it would have been in the valley or further inland. Coastal LA tends to be always under the influence of the marine layer or what's a higher level version of the fog that SF is notorious for.

For ppl living further away from the coast, that ocean air is a form of natural AC. But for the beaches of LA, the cooler weather makes them less ideal for a hot summer resort vibe...as what's found in florida, the Caribbean or the southern Mediterranean. I notice many of the past days of this live cam of venice bch shows a lot of a marine layer.

https://youtu.be/vvOjJoSEFM0

^ The cooler coastal weather & lower humidity are now preferred by me. But when I was younger, I spent one summer several miles to the south in the cloudy marine weather of Long bch. I recall getting quite a sunburn....the lack of direct sun & heat misleads a person to assume that ultraviolet rays won't be bad

Regarding Long Beach, it is in the lee of the fairly tall Palos Verdes Hills (where Tiger Woods crashed his car), so the marine layer is often thinner and burns off earlier than the coastal cities on the other side of the hills, e.g. Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach etc. Long Beach is usually a few degrees warmer than the beach towns to the west on Santa Monica Bay. Long Beach faces San Pedro Bay to the south. However, during "Catalina eddies", sometimes the marine layer comes in from the south, so LB sometimes has a thick marine cloud layer like the towns on Santa Monica Bay. Also, the further south you go down the coast from Long Beach, into Orange County, the influence of the Palos Verdes Hills wanes, so south of Seal Beach a normal thick cool cloudy marine layer is found in places like Huntington Beach and Newport Beach and all the way down to San Clemente and into San Diego County beyond. The Marine layer is most common in May and June ("May Gray" and "June Gloom"). Sometimes it extends into mid July, but is much less common in August and September when even the beaches usually get sunny and warm in SoCal.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 27, 2022 at 6:33 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions