HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 10:58 PM

Hot cities or cold cities; 4 seasons or no seasons; desert cities or green cities?

What is your favorite climate for a city? Do you like desert cities or rainy forested cities or something in between? Mild climate or four seasons? What do you like best and least of the climate of the place where you live?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 30, 2022 at 9:39 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 11:07 PM

I dislike extreme heat or extreme cold. So the coastal climate of California suits me. San Diego to Eureka. The northern end is a bit too cold and overcast and rainy in winter, the southern end much less so but also a browner landscape escept in the mountains or canyons with streams where there are oaks and other trees. I like some woods to walk in. Perhaps the central coast, somewhere between Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo north to Monterey/Santa Cruz is best. Maybe Mr. Hearst selected the perfect spot in the middle near San Simeon, when he built his grand mansion on a partly wooded hill about 5 miles from the coast, with the slightly inland location providing some sunshine and mild warmth away from the coastal winds and fog. Or along San Francisco Bay, inland enough that you don't get the summer cold, fog and strong winds. Sunny afternoons that aren't too hot. But the fall colors and bracing weather of New England Autumn have appeal as well. Maybe I should spend October and November in Boston. The summer heat of Phoenix or Las Vegas are intolerable to me, as are winters in Toronto or Chicago. Same with the humid summer heat in the south and midwest. Humidity plus heat, no thank you.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 31, 2022 at 9:53 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I dislike extreme heat or extreme cold. So the coastal climate of California suits me. San Diego to Eureka. The northern end is a bit too cold and overcast and rainy in winter, the southern end much less so but also a browner landscape escept in the mountains or canyons with streams where there are oaks and other trees. I like some woods to walk in. Perhaps the central coast, somewhere between Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo north to Monterey/Santa Cruz is best. Maybe Mr. Hearst selected the perfect spot in the middle near San Simeon, when he built his grand mansion on a partly wooded hill about 5 miles from the coast, with the slightly inland location providing some sunshine and mild warmth away from the coastal winds and fog. Or along San Francisco Bay, inland enough that you don't get the summer cold, fog and strong winds. Sunny afternoons that aren't too hot. But the fall colors and bracing weather of New England Autumn have appeal as well. Maybe I should spend October and November in Boston. The summer heat of Phoenix or Las Vegas are intolerable to me, as are winters in Toronto or Chicago. Same with the humid summer heat in the south and midwest. Humidity plus heat, no thank you.
Coastal California, especially the middle third, is really hard to beat. I just got back from a conference in Monterey. My wife and I rented a car and traveled down to the Hearst Castle, through Big Sur (and up the other direction to Santa Cruz and Big Basin Redwoods State Park), by way of California Highway 1. Stunning, to say the least. Surprisingly brisk climate for this late in May (but as you said, move inland a few miles and things warm up quickly). The water is way too cold to swim in, but the scenery is almost peerless.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:42 PM
你的媽媽

Agree with the Mediterranean climate takes. There are two main types. Under the Köppen climate classification, there are "hot dry-summer" climates (classified as Csa) and "cool dry-summer" climates (classified as Csb). Coastal CA is more the latter, as the summers never really get too hot as compared to the inland CA areas, and there is the marine fog to help keep the air from becoming too dry. The areas where the coastal redwoods grow have the best blend of warmth in the summer times but wet winters to keep the area from becoming too try.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 8:35 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
I dislike extreme heat or extreme cold.
Username checks out.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 9:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Username checks out.
Having lived in Upstate NY and Houston for all my life, I agree with him. Coastal California climate is just perfect.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 9:26 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Having lived in Upstate NY and Houston for all my life, I agree with him. Coastal California climate is just perfect.
It sure is!

If he or she is not that old (you too I guess), I recommend they watch L.A. Story.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:14 AM

We’re thinking about leaving London because I just can’t handle the rain and grey skies anymore.

The problem is that there are no decent cities the Southwestern US, and I’m not a big fan of LA, so this would mean moving to either Southern Europe (harder now thanks to the Brexit disaster) or somewhere like Mexico City (harder for other reasons).

I’d love to spend winter in Miami, late spring/early autumn in London, and a couple months of “real summer” in the Mediterranean. That’s the life.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:45 AM

San Diego probably has the best single climate in North America but I split my time. Northern CA can be (not every year) dreary in the winter but I love the cool summers so that's for me, May-October. On the other hand, the desert southwest is really nice late October through April, so it's the general vicinity of Tucson for me that time of year.

Besides San Diego, if you must stay in one place, places like Flagstaff, AZ or Santa Fe, NM are smaller towns but have good year-round climates because they have enough elevation to keep them from having the brutal summers of Phoenix or Tucson or even Albuquerque (plus the nearby mountains make them scenic). Colder winters though with occasional snow but nothing like farther north--mostly just scenic snowfalls with skiing in the nearby mountains.

Of course none of them would be good enough for 10023 it seems.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
San Diego probably has the best single climate in North America but I split my time. Northern CA can be (not every year) dreary in the winter but I love the cool summers so that's for me, May-October. On the other hand, the desert southwest is really nice late October through April, so it's the general vicinity of Tucson for me that time of year.

Besides San Diego, if you must stay in one place, places like Flagstaff, AZ or Santa Fe, NM are smaller towns but have good year-round climates because they have enough elevation to keep them from having the brutal summers of Phoenix or Tucson or even Albuquerque (plus the nearby mountains make them scenic). Colder winters though with occasional snow but nothing like farther north--mostly just scenic snowfalls with skiing in the nearby mountains.

Seasonal migration makes sense.

Your selection makes sense. But I would add a month or two in New England for the glorious bracing fall weather and leaf spectacle, and probably a few weeks in a mountain resort in July/August:

To wit: Ca. Coast: May-Sept., perhaps with 2-4 weeks in mid summer in the High Sierra above 7,000 feet where it is cool in July/August, perhaps around the Mammoth Lakes area, or the Alps if I want to put up with the hassle of air travel and covid risks; New England: Oct-Nov. (Thanksgiving); Desert Southwest: Dec.-April. Ideal.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 31, 2022 at 10:31 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 11:11 AM

Rain, forest and seasonal changes.

Hate dry weather, desert, sterile landscapes.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Seasonal migration makes sense.

Your selection makes sense. But I would add a month or two in New England for the glorious bracing fall weather and leaf spectacle, and probably a few weeks in a mountain resort in July/August:
So would I if they weren't ridiculously long drives and if moving around like you suggest weren't a difficult proposition when you have pets and lots of things to take with you. Maintaining just two locations is plenty of work and expense for me, thanks.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

The climate is lovely. The problem is the inhabitants, who generally speaking are a lot of people like you. They’re also not real cities and are far too remote from everything else (a positive for some, not for me).

Agree on the benefits of altitude, but I’d move to Mexico City before the American southwest.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Agree on the benefits of altitude, but I’d move to Mexico City before the American southwest.
Winter generally has horrible pollution, though. And the security situation, while still the best in Mexico, has deteriorated. And good luck finding high quality schools or really anything child-centered with acceptable first world standards.

Outside of winter, the weather is almost perfect, though. And the city is comically inexpensive, if paid in USD. And obviously tons of fun.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 11:32 PM

I reject the notion that desert Cities aren't green.

Desert landscaping is a product of Midwestern transplants that like the novelty of low maintenance yards. It doesn't even save substantial amounts of water and contributes to urban heat island.

If anything it should be a requirement we have lawns and big leafy trees in the desert cities and make the commercial agriculture interests and manufacturing companies do better water mitigation.

But no instead they'll make people get rid of lawns and chop down big gorgeous trees

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Winter generally has horrible pollution, though. And the security situation, while still the best in Mexico, has deteriorated. And good luck finding high quality schools or really anything child-centered with acceptable first world standards.

Outside of winter, the weather is almost perfect, though. And the city is comically inexpensive, if paid in USD. And obviously tons of fun.
Bogata, Colombia is supposed to have a nice climate. Mild and cool year around because of the high altitude even though near the equator. Same with Quito, Ecuador and Cuzco, Peru. Cost of living probably cheap. Not sure about crime. Cuzco bonus--near Machu Pichu and other Inca ruins. Quito has Inca sites as well. Can play at being Indiana Jones. If you like a cool desert climate, Lima, Peru is supposed to be mild because of coastal fog (cold Peru Current keeps it cool). Hardly any rain to ruin outdoor activities, although it does drizzle from the fog.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 1, 2022 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 8:46 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
We’re thinking about leaving London because I just can’t handle the rain and grey skies anymore.

The problem is that there are no decent cities the Southwestern US, and I’m not a big fan of LA, so this would mean moving to either Southern Europe (harder now thanks to the Brexit disaster) or somewhere like Mexico City (harder for other reasons).

I’d love to spend winter in Miami, late spring/early autumn in London, and a couple months of “real summer” in the Mediterranean. That’s the life.
Exactly this but with Scandinavia, down to the thoughts of leaving.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:13 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

LA is amazing. but it all depends on where one lives I suppose.

My brother and sis-in-law lived in Monrovia for a number of years until recently and loved it. Being on the 'L' line (former Gold line) was helpful as well. My sister-in-law could bike to the Metro and take the light rail to her job, or to Pasadena and downtown LA if wanted.

They are now in the San Jose area and don't enjoy it near as much. I hope they are able to move back to LA.

Last edited by Wigs; Jun 6, 2022 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:44 PM

LA has a great climate, but I just wish the built environment was more like somewhere like Philly. Or even San Francisco (I guess brick rowhouses wouldn't work well in an earthquake zone after all).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
LA has a great climate, but I just wish the built environment was more like somewhere like Philly. Or even San Francisco (I guess brick rowhouses wouldn't work well in an earthquake zone after all).
Italy and Greece have had stone structures in earthquake zones for thousands of years. They just have to pick them up and put them back together every once in a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions