HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:35 AM
be nice to the crackheads

BC housing minister doubles down on threat to seize zoning powers from municipalities

B.C. housing minister doubles down on threat to seize zoning powers from municipalities

David Eby tells The Affordability Puzzle: Who has the Answers panel the government is prepared to mandate control of zoning to get more housing built.

Author of the article: David Carrigg

B.C. Housing Minister David Eby doubled down on his promise to force municipalities to increase housing stock during a live panel on Tuesday night called The Affordability Puzzle: Who has the Answers.

Eby said the province had two ways to take control of building projects within municipalities, plus the power to legislate action.

The first was to permit construction on provincial-government owned land and “ignore local bylaws” – which had happened twice so far, including in Maple Ridge where 2,000 units of social housing are being built.

The second power was held by the minister of municipal affairs who could override a building project approved by a municipality if it was not deemed to be beneficial to the community – which could mean not enough density. This power has never been used, Eby said.

More here:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...municipalities

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:39 AM

Beware what we might wish for?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia