HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Early EVs didn't have thermal management systems. This is why range dropped substantially in the winter. Batteries do have an optimal temperature range and do need to be heated in the Canadian winter. But they also just heat up as you drive, so no need to plug in like a block heater. People plug in BEVs in the winter so that the thermal management system can keep the battery usably warm without giving up lots of range (caused by vampire draw to keep the battery warm).
That's interesting - so newer EVs have battery heaters that stay on while the car is off? Is there some sort of cutoff to prevent the battery from dying in the middle of the night (ie. if the battery drops below X%, turn off the heater?) I could see that being really annoying if doing something like a winter camping trip where you can't plug in overnight.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 10:38 PM

I suspect that there are differences between manufacturers, but all EVs will have some sort of battery management software that won't allow complete discharge due to parasitic losses from things like battery heaters, etc.

Mind you, running the software itself will be a parasitic drain if left unplugged for an extremely long period of time (like months, I would guess), but that would be far from the typical usage case. There would probably be battery cutoffs that could be employed for long term storage as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
That's interesting - so newer EVs have battery heaters that stay on while the car is off? Is there some sort of cutoff to prevent the battery from dying in the middle of the night (ie. if the battery drops below X%, turn off the heater?) I could see that being really annoying if doing something like a winter camping trip where you can't plug in overnight.
The temperature ranges are huge. And while the car isn't running, the system will only draw what it needs to protect the battery. This is a lot less than a block heater would.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 1:14 AM

This has now been my 2nd winter with my EV. All the fears I had before buying never ended up being a concern. My car is reliable, safe, and fun to drive.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:02 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Roland Pircher
@piloly

Tesla reports production of 440,808 and deliveries of 422,875 for 23Q1. The growth in deliveries is 4% QoQ and 36% YoY.

9:04 AM · Apr 2, 2023

https://twitter.com/piloly/status/16...431500289?s=20

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:14 PM
你的媽媽

Looking good.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 11:53 PM
你的媽媽

Spotted a Vinfast out in the wild. Anyone else seeing them around yet?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 12:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Spotted a Vinfast out in the wild. Anyone else seeing them around yet?
I haven't noticed one although they are in Canada I think. The front looks a bit like a 90s Pontiac, the styling is a bit blah.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:54 AM

BC is amending the strata property act to make it easier for EV charger installation for strata properties.

Quote:
The proposed amendments to the Strata Property Act, introduced on Thursday, April 6, 2023, will improve access to EV charging stations in residential strata buildings by:
  • Lowering the voting threshold from 75% to 50% approval for expenditures and changes to common and personal property that are needed to install EV charging stations;
  • Requiring strata corporations to obtain an electrical planning report to help understand the building’s electrical capacity and plan for the expansion of EV charging stations; and
  • Requiring strata corporations to approve owners’ requests to install EV charging stations at the owners’ expense, when reasonable criteria are met.

The Province has introduced several initiatives to encourage people to purchase electric vehicles, including the CleanBC Go Electric Passenger Vehicle Rebate program and a provincial sales tax exemption on used EVs. As a result of these initiatives, the number of EVs on B.C.’s roads has increased from 5,000 in 2016 to more than 109,000 as of December 2022.
https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...019-000465.htm

Last edited by madog222; Apr 7, 2023 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
BC is amending the strata property act to make it easier for EV charger installation for strata properties.
Should be interesting. I have a rental condo that has proposed EV charging in the last AGM, and it failed, but got over 50% support. They are proposing it again at an AGM next week. Too early for this legislation but I wonder if it will hit 75%.

The condo where I live has a shared charger and we'd like to propose EV charging throughout. Hopefully this will be in place before our next AGM (early 2024).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If I owned a condo, I would consider the installation of EV charging stations in the complex to be a worthwhile investment. In 10 years time, any condo for sale without access to charging stations might be a whole lot more difficult to sell.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:11 PM
ハルウララ

Special Report: Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars
April 6, 2023
By Steve Stecklow, Waylon Cunningham and Hyunjoo Jin

LONDON/SAN FRANCISCO, April 6 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc assures its millions of electric car owners that their privacy “is and will always be enormously important to us.” The cameras it builds into vehicles to assist driving, it notes on its website, are “designed from the ground up to protect your privacy.”

But between 2019 and 2022, groups of Tesla employees privately shared via an internal messaging system sometimes highly invasive videos and images recorded by customers’ car cameras, according to interviews by Reuters with nine former employees.

Some of the recordings caught Tesla customers in embarrassing situations. One ex-employee described a video of a man approaching a vehicle completely naked.

Also shared: crashes and road-rage incidents. One crash video in 2021 showed a Tesla driving at high speed in a residential area hitting a child riding a bike, according to another ex-employee. The child flew in one direction, the bike in another. The video spread around a Tesla office in San Mateo, California, via private one-on-one chats, “like wildfire,” the ex-employee said.

Other images were more mundane, such as pictures of dogs and funny road signs that employees made into memes by embellishing them with amusing captions or commentary, before posting them in private group chats. While some postings were only shared between two employees, others could be seen by scores of them, according to several ex-employees.

“We could see inside people's garages and their private properties,” said another former employee. “Let's say that a Tesla customer had something in their garage that was distinctive, you know, people would post those kinds of things.”

https://www.reuters.com/technology/t...rs-2023-04-06/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Should be interesting. I have a rental condo that has proposed EV charging in the last AGM, and it failed, but got over 50% support. They are proposing it again at an AGM next week. Too early for this legislation but I wonder if it will hit 75%.

The condo where I live has a shared charger and we'd like to propose EV charging throughout. Hopefully this will be in place before our next AGM (early 2024).
Given that the legislation has been announced, it might help grease the wheels for approval. After all, proponents can argue that - since it may well soon be a law - there's no point in wasting time rejecting charging facilities now only to have to revisit the matter again a few months later when it will likely pass the new requirements.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:36 PM

What exactly are the arguments from opponents of charger installations? Might as well get in now while the government covers part of the cost.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
What exactly are the arguments from opponents of charger installations? Might as well get in now while the government covers part of the cost.
Lots of "investor" owners here that vote against any CRF spending, strata fee increase, or special assessment as they don't care at all about the building.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post

https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...019-000465.htm
It’s amazing how eager the NDP has been to cook the strata act to achieve their desired outcomes. so basically it’s a foregone your granny who doesn’t drive is going to be forced to pay for some Tesla-driving hipster’s charging station infrastructure. They make strata living less appealing with every bit of their legislation,

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 8:49 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It’s amazing how eager the NDP has been to cook the strata act to achieve their desired outcomes. so basically it’s a foregone your granny who doesn’t drive is going to be forced to pay for some Tesla-driving hipster’s charging station infrastructure. They make strata living less appealing with every bit of their legislation,
Yeah it's a fair point that if SFH owners must pay to install their own home chargers while condo owners get theirs subsidized by their neighbours. At the same time, condos are inherently more collective than houses because of the shared facilities and most building amenities whether they be pools, fitness rooms, nice landscaping, etc. are shared costs. Whether or not an individual uses or even likes it. It seems like it's fairly common for condos to charge for individual parking space whether people have to buy or rent the space so it would make sense to do the same for a space with an EV charger. Except that it's probably pricier and more complicated to install a charger in a condo parking garage compared to a private house.

The building may need to update the central wiring in the garage before it could be done, while the wires may need to be run a lot further. So it may not be feasible to do it for a similar cost to house-based home charger. If the choices are either making the EV owner(s) pay the whole thing or having it be 100% collective, I don't see either option as very satisfying. I'd go for some sort of middle ground such as having EV owners pay a similar amount that a house person would pay to install a charger while the condo would pay collectively if anything was needed beyond that.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yeah it's a fair point that if SFH owners must pay to install their own home chargers while condo owners get theirs subsidized by their neighbours. At the same time, condos are inherently more collective than houses because of the shared facilities and most building amenities whether they be pools, fitness rooms, nice landscaping, etc. are shared costs. Whether or not an individual uses or even likes it. It seems like it's fairly common for condos to charge for individual parking space whether people have to buy or rent the space so it would make sense to do the same for a space with an EV charger. Except that it's probably pricier and more complicated to install a charger in a condo parking garage compared to a private house.

The building may need to update the central wiring in the garage before it could be done, while the wires may need to be run a lot further. So it may not be feasible to do it for a similar cost to house-based home charger. If the choices are either making the EV owner(s) pay the whole thing or having it be 100% collective, I don't see either option as very satisfying. I'd go for some sort of middle ground such as having EV owners pay a similar amount that a house person would pay to install a charger while the condo would pay collectively if anything was needed beyond that.
NVM, probably misinterpreted your post.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
This has now been my 2nd winter with my EV. All the fears I had before buying never ended up being a concern. My car is reliable, safe, and fun to drive.
For my personal vehicle one would be fine, work van not so much.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
....your granny who doesn’t drive is going to be forced to pay for some Tesla-driving hipster’s charging station infrastructure....
Didn't "Granny" also have to pay for the construction and upkeep of the parkade she presumably isn't using, the exercise room and other amenities she's not using, and so on? Come on, you can make a better argument than this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada