HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:58 PM

^I remember going on a field trip to the old schoolhouse about fifteen years ago. Despite being it not being one of the "fun" field trips, I found it to be a pretty cool experience.

I like that little park. I walk by there a lot whenever I roam around downtown between classes.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
For me, Stanley Park takes the cake. If I may be so bold, second prize for "great urban parks" goes to Montreal's Mont Royal Park
I'd probably agree with this despite never having been there, Mount Royal looks gorgeous from the pictures, plus it has a kick ass view of downtown!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd go with Mount Royal in first, but yeah.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:23 PM

Stanley for me. Mainly, because I've been there but I love the West Coast-ness of it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:01 PM

I think Stanley Park is the best urban park in the country hands down.

Another very west coast park is Redwood Park in Surrey BC, they have some really cool trees from all over the world there, the Monkey Puzzle trees were especially neat.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:16 PM
DRINK

I love how absolutely NOBODY says anything about some of those parks posted from St Johns not being urban.....But show something semi equivalent from Calgary and people loose their shit. A handful of you guys love to make a big deal with anything from Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:32 PM

If it makes you feel any better I was going to say a few of those don't seem like urban parks to me, like some of the Kelowna pics or St Johns.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't even understand what everyone is fighting about. Brett said he wants to cast as wide a net as possible. Calgary's parks are fine, as is everyone else's. And small cities like mine, Kelowna, etc... it is how it is. They can only be as urban as we are. Just share your information and pictures, enjoy the others, and be done with it.

Saskatoon has very impressive parks. I knew about a couple of those from seeing those pictures before, but the whole thing looks great.

A few pictures of the ones I only had Google Earth views for before. It takes a long time to go back through my records.

One from Bowring Park. This is the end that's closest to the downtown (the park is kind of linear - part of it extends out to Mount Pearl). I don't have any of our replica Peter Pan statue, or the Caribou Memorial, so went to Flickr for those:

Bowring Park..! Image18 by SilverShade, on Flickr

The Fighting Newfoundlander by Hugh D Newman, on Flickr

St. John's Festival of Lights by Greg Noel, on Flickr

And a few from Quidi Vidi Lake. The trails are elevated wooden pathways through marshland on the opposite side, but on this one they're gravel.

It's not all beautiful, though. The hideous Southcott Building and Her Majesty's Penitentiary are right on the lake.

royal st. john's regatta by michelegross, on Flickr

One more from Harbourside Park and the National War Memorial. The first one was of the Harbourside Park half, and this one is the other half (the park is cut in two by Water Street), just below the steps of the Memorial.

And a Google Streetview of the backside, up on Duckworth.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:44 PM

Central Park in Metrotown (Burnaby)

This park is a 5 minute walk from my house, and I quite like it. It's about 220 acres of dense old growth forest with trails, a few ponds, and a par 3 golf course.

I'd consider it an urban park. You can see where Central Park begins at the bottom of this pic:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^been there. It is a nice one for sure. Also, Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^been there. It is a nice one for sure. Also, Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver.
Burnaby dedicates over 1/3 of its land to parks, so it really punches above its weight in this category. Central Park and Deer Lake are both great parks in the Metrotown area, and of course Burnaby Mountain (1700 acres) and Burnaby Lake (800 acres) are absolutely massive, considering how central Burnaby is within the Lower Mainland.

These parks are surprisingly wild too, so much that there are warning signs about black bears and wildcats in the area (except Central Park which just has coyotes).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:23 PM
Majestic

Edworthy Park, Calgary

Probably the most under-appreciated park in Calgary.

Morning Stroll by njchow82, on Flickr

Edworthy Coulee by njchow82, on Flickr

Happy fence Friday Edworthy park and Douglas fir walk by davebloggs007, on Flickr

Edworthy park and Douglas fir walk by davebloggs007, on Flickr

8832 at Edworthy Park by Matt Hicks Railway Photography, on Flickr

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:27 PM

Wow, that last Calgary pic is just beautiful! I go to Calgary at least once a year, and I've never seen anything like that there. I'll have to check that out next time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 11:18 PM

Wascana Park in Regina

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 11:26 PM

Ottawa is shit on the parks front. All of our parks are pretty much just patches of grass with nothing meaningful about them. And yet there's a billion of them. They occupy way too much land for the little value they create.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 11:42 PM

Wascana Park in Regina is definitely the best urban, "man-made" park in the prairies. Even the lake is man-made, believe it or not. But it's a really charming place, and it's right in the core of the city. Wascana Park will always be Regina's greatest asset.

Unfortunately Regina is pathetic when it comes to wilderness parks. There is very little nature there, which is one reason why I'm not sure if I'll ever move back.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaPhysicality View Post
Wow, that last Calgary pic is just beautiful! I go to Calgary at least once a year, and I've never seen anything like that there. I'll have to check that out next time.
Looks like it is from the river pathway looking south, either just before or just after Edworthy.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:10 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaPhysicality View Post
Edworthy Park is quite unappreciated but even better is the upcoming Bearspaw Legacy Park further upstream of Edworthy Park. The land is all there and able to be enjoyed right now but most don't because it is virtually undeveloped with rough trails.

Beautiful area with 400+ year old fir trees and some amazing sandstone cliffs/ledges - it will be interesting to see how the city of Calgary develops this park space, hopefully it isn't built with paved trails all over. Leave it wild and untamed for the more adventurous users.

By the way, I have to apologize to all because of the shit storm I apparently started back on page 1 of this thread - I honestly didn't intend my mentioning of the size of Fish Creek Provincial and Nose Hill parks to be anything boastful in any way and yet I come back into this thread this afternoon to see that so many really got their knickers in a knot over this. Relax is all I can say as there's many great urban parks in Canada - who really cares who's is the largest or not or if it's in suburbia and not near a city's core. Let's just talk about great urban parks that one can get to using a city's transit system - that to me is urban because it allows a city dweller to get to that park without having to use a car or some similar form of personal transport.

Anyhow, Bearspaw Legacy Park and yes, a Calgary Transit bus will get you to entrance of this park area...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I didn't say Rouge Park may not be fully surrounded one day, I merely said it isn't now. Nose Hill and Fish Creek have been fully surrounded for decades (~35 years for Nose Hill, ~25 years for Fish Creek).

Some photos of the often underappreciated Fish Creek Provincial Park, Calgary...
More like ~17 for Nose Hill and ~12 for Fish Creek.

I'm old enough to remember Fish Creek before it was a park.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A couple more in or near downtown that I like.

I forget what this one is called - it has someone's name on it, I assume a child from the neighbourhood who died. It's a really pretty one and it's on a very steep hill. The straight crescent-shaped structure in the park is a lookout. It used to be a baseball diamond.

Victoria Park - it's not very popular except for various boot camp and fitness classes that use it during the summer and the ball diamond farther up the hill. But the city is planning to refurbish it.

And one of my favourites in the city - Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Park. It's just a little former roundabout thing but it's such a pretty little location at the edge of the Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada