HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I like this concept. I had the idea myself, years ago, to express the silver line from East Falls into the district. The only flaw I see in your description is that if the Yellow Line is to be deleted from the map, the Silver Line can't interline at all with the Green Line tracks through L'Enfant Plaza. There would have to be a separate platform built in its own station box somewhere adjacent or below the existing station box.
The Silver would run paralell to the Green, but not *with* it. Something akin to how both the (7) and 42st Shuttle both run under 42nd st without sharing anything.

Quote:
Having the Silver take over the Yellow would enable the Green line to be forked toward either terminus, if there are any viable expansions, enabling the yellow color to return.
On it. With the current Green Line all by itself, a new "Yellow" would break off after Columbia Heights and run up 16th St NW to Silver Spring, then along US 29 to Columbia, MD. On the southern end, I'd extend the Green down MD 5 to Waldorf with the Yellow splitting off before Naylor Rd to serve National Harbor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 12:58 PM

Opening of Potomac Yard Metro nears

Photo courtesy of the Alexandria Times.

By Olivia Anderson
Alexandria Times
Feb. 23, 2023

"A string of controversies and delays have long dogged the Potomac Yard Metro Station, but Andy Off, vice president and chief infrastructure officer of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, on Tuesday confirmed that a May opening is planned.

The May date was announced late last year, but concerns with soil stability under the tracks, the latest problem with the project, had jeopardized the ribbon cutting.

“We’re still looking good for that time period. We’re starting to work through the details of establishing a specific date,” Off said. “… Certainly it’s a beautiful new station that’s been planned for a long, long time, so we certainly want to make it a special event..."

https://alextimes.com/2023/02/openin...d-metro-nears/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 1:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Dcist | FEB 23, 2023

Metro Exploring “Open Gangway” For Its 8000-Series Trains

Jordan Pascale

Metro is exploring a drastic change to its upcoming new 8000-series trains: an open gangway. Open gangway trains have no doors between cars, allowing riders to freely move through parts of or the entire length of the train. It can improve train capacity, and provide more space for people who use wheelchairs and people with bikes, strollers, or luggage. Loading times can also decrease as people have more places to spread out. One odd sensation of riding on an open gangway train is that you can see the train bend as it rides around a curve.

The concept has been used for years in London, Paris, Toronto, China, and other places internationally, but the idea has been slow to roll out in the U.S. New York’s MTA will start to use open gangway trains this year and Atlanta’s MARTA is also set to get open gangway trains in the near future.

During a board meeting Thursday, Metro General Manager Randy Clarke said the transit agency was exploring the technical feasibility of the idea and will be getting feedback from the public, Metro’s accessibility committee, and its rider advisory committee.

“One of the things the senior team and I’ve been talking a lot about is how do we get our agency to be as close as we can to international and domestic best of the best standards and operate that way,” Clarke said. “And sometimes if someone is doing something better, it’s okay to cut and paste and learn from them and move forward.”

Rest of story

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 11:33 AM

Purple Line slightly less delayed, on target to open in fall 2026, spokesperson says
Light rail project was previously delayed to 2027

MoCo360 Media
By Ginny Bixby
April 5, 2023

The Purple Line light rail is on track to open in fall 2026, according to a spokesperson. The Purple Line was originally slated to open in March 2022 at a cost of just under $2 billion but suffered major delays, including a nearly-two-year standstill after the first contractor quit. (Photo courtesy of MoCo360)

"The Purple Line light rail is on target to open in fall 2026, a spokesperson confirmed to MoCo360 Tuesday, despite reports in January that opening would be delayed until mid-2027 because of issues moving utility lines.

“Our target date for opening remains fall of 2026 as we continue to negotiate with our concessionaire,” Purple Line spokesperson David Abrams said, referring to the public-private partnership, Purple Line Transit Partners, led by infrastructure investor Meridiam. “The target date is the estimated contractual deadline; until negotiations are complete, the contractual deadline for revenue service remains unchanged. MDOT MTA’s review of the concessionaires’ estimate of delay and efforts to mitigate the delay is part of the active negotiations between MDOT MTA and Purple Line Transit Partners.”

The Purple Line was originally slated to open in March 2022 at a cost of just under $2 billion but suffered major delays, including a nearly-two-year standstill after the first contractor quit. Under the latest projection, it would be four-and-a-half years late and $1.46 billion over budget. The Washington Post first reported on the projected delay in January..."

https://moco360.media/2023/04/05/pur...esperson-says/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 9:57 PM

Potomac Yard to officially open on Friday, May 19. This will be Metro's 98th station.

WTOP: Potomac Yard Metro station to open next month

Quote:
The long-awaited and often-delayed Potomac Yard Metro station will welcome riders on Friday, May 19.

When riders travel to the station, they may be awestruck by its excellent views and pleasant aesthetic.

“The only reason we’re standing here is because our community never gave up on this project. Our community has been pushing for this station for a generation and beyond,” Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson told reporters during the opening announcement.

The station is located in the fastest-growing area of Alexandria, Virginia, between the Reagan National and Braddock Road stations. It is only the second-ever in-fill station — a station built between two extant stations on a line — and Metro’s 98th station overall.

When Blue and Yellow line riders come, they will find views of the George Washington Parkway, Potomac River, the Washington Monument and even the U.S. Capitol from the station’s northern end.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 2:00 PM

The previous estimate for the Union Station modernization was that it would cost $10B. Even with the inflation in labor and construction materials, this is a significant cost savings. i think this probably comes from the reduction in the amount of parking.

Feds release updated $8.8 billion redevelopment plan for Union Station

The revised vision for the rail station includes less parking, an underground drop-off area, and integrated bus, pedestrian and bike access

By Luz Lazo
Washington Post
May 13, 2023

A rendering of the new train hall planned at Union Station as part of a multibillion-dollar redevelopment. (Rendering courtesy of the Washington Post)

"The Federal Railroad Administration unveiled a revised concept late Friday for the redevelopment of Union Station, laying out a future transit hub with far less parking, pickup and drop-off traffic below ground, and more fully integrated access for pedestrians, bikes and buses.

The new plan comes two years after the federal agency paused its analysis of the project to amend key aspects that were widely criticized as keeping the station too car-centric. The District had opposed a multilevel parking garage featured in a vision released three years ago, while officials and residents demanded better access for foot and bike traffic.

The proposed expansion of the 115-year-old train hub, estimated in the report to cost $8.8 billion for construction alone, calls for a transformation of the nation’s second-busiest intercity rail hub by 2040. It will add wide rail platforms, an integrated bus terminal, a new train hall and updated concourses lined with shops and restaurants that provide easy access to Metrorail, buses, taxis, ride-shares, streetcars and parking. The station’s historic main hall will be preserved..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...redevelopment/

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 3:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Positive direction

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:40 PM

The Potomac Yard metro station opens today.

Metro’s Potomac Yard Station Is Open: Here’s What You Need To Know

By Jordan Pascale
DCist
May 19, 2023

Photo via DCist.

"Potomac Yard, Metro’s newest and 98th station overall, will be open as of 5 a.m. Friday morning. Alexandria residents have waited decades for this moment.

The new station is on the Blue and Yellow lines between National Airport and Braddock Road stops. It’s Metro’s second station built to fill in service gaps between previously existing stations. NoMa-Galluadet is the system’s only other infill station.

Developments like a new Virginia Tech campus, mixed-use retail, and apartments are sprouting up around the station..."

https://dcist.com/story/23/05/19/met...ation-is-open/

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:10 PM

As an Alexandria resident, I cannot express how happy I am to see this station finally open.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

Awesome news... I forgot it was getting close to completion.

I am kinda amazed this cost $370 million dollars though. A track straightening and an at-grade shed style station structure shouldn't cost half that in my opinion. What exploded the cost exactly for someone who follows WMATA closer than me?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:26 PM

Busy Bee;9948827

I am kinda amazed this cost $370 million dollars though. A track straightening and an at-grade shed style station structure shouldn't cost half that in my opinion. What exploded the cost exactly for someone who follows WMATA closer than me?

Lets look at what that $370 million dollars paid for:
  • The 2 side platforms have full length platform canopies. No other station in the system when originally built had full length platform canopies.
  • The width of the platform are the second widest in the system, they are second to the upper level platforms in L'Enfant Plaza.
  • The combined length of the pedestrian bridges that connect the entrance pavilions to the mezzanine is around 1/4 mile.
  • The floor area of the mezzanine is greater then any other entrance mezzanine in the system.
  • The total number of elevators in the station is 10. 2 in each of the 2 entrance pavilions, 2 in the east entrance, 2 each connecting the mezzanine to the 2 platform, the 2 elevators serving the northbound platform descend to the service level under the north end of the station. No other station in the system has that many elevators.
  • The entire C11 train control zone had its original train control room retired and replaced with a new one.
  • A new double crossover along with a traction power tiebreaker was added.
  • The track bed through the station is concrete along with the track bed under the double crossover.
  • The soil conditions required deep piles to support mezzanine.
  • The service level is below both platforms providing access to the machine rooms of the east entrance and platform elevators and platform escalators.
  • A second new double redundant power line was added to provide power to the station along with switch gear in the substation.
  • The existing traction power substation was upgraded.
  • All of the nodes in the network used to monitor and control the support systems in the station are connected using fiber, that includes voice over IP, video, WIFI and Cellular.
There are likely a number of other things that I am not aware of that can be add to this list.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:46 PM

cambron J: Now that the Silver Line is complete, we're going to miss your photo updates. Maybe you can provide some updates of the Purple line construction or the Baltimore Penn Station rennovations.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

I am skeptical of the utility of this station. It can't motivate development in a 360-degree circle since it's pinched between the Amtrak tracks and the river.

Building it roughly where the Target store is would have been much better:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8332...!1e3?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 2:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice and i didnt pay attention to realize galluadet was also an infill station.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 1:18 AM

202_Cyclist
cambron J: Now that the Silver Line is complete, we're going to miss your photo updates. Maybe you can provide some updates of the Purple line construction or the Baltimore Penn Station rennovations.

I have observed the build out of the Washington Metrorail system for more then a half of a century. At 65 years old I am not getting any younger.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 12:32 PM

jmecklenborg
I am skeptical of the utility of this station. It can't motivate development in a 360-degree circle since it's pinched between the Amtrak tracks and the river.

There is an entrance on the east side of the station providing access from the east side of the CSX tracks to the south.

Building it roughly where the Target store is would have been much better:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8332...!1e3?entry=ttu

There were several location option considered. 3 plus the one that was built east of the CSX tracks, one north, one south and one east of where the the station was built. The 3 options not built were along the original alignment.

The were 4 options west of the CSX tracks. All of the options would have been elevated and would have connected to the existing alignment by and elevated that crossed over the CSX tracks. 2 of the options placed the stations on the east side Potomac Avenue behind Best Buy, one adjacent the Potomac Avenue and other set back about 100'. 2 east of Potomac Avenue, one where you suggested at Target set back about 100', the other to north south of Reed Avenue setback about 200'.

None of the other option were carried forward, The other options east of the CSX tracks would have required the closing of the Blue and Yellow lines for several years. The 4 option west of the CSX tracks would have increased the costs to something in the range of $1 billion.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambron J View Post
None of the other option were carried forward, The other options east of the CSX tracks would have required the closing of the Blue and Yellow lines for several years. The 4 option west of the CSX tracks would have increased the costs to something in the range of $1 billion.

What people don't get is that high quality suburban stations increase the network effect of a system. In this case, a new infill station is on an interlined section of the Metro, meaning there are more potential one-seat rides than an infill station built on a not-interlined suburban branch (i.e. The Silver Line).

So we had an infill station slapped onto the system that will attract the fewest new riders possible and motivate the least new transit-oriented development possible.

A choice rider might tolerate an awkward walk at one end of their commute but is unlikely to tolerate an awkward walk at their origin and at their destination.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:34 PM

Metro leaders weigh costly expansion, pointing to region's growth

By Justin George
Washington Post
July 13, 2023

"Transit leaders said Thursday they are convinced that now is the time to plan a major Metrorail expansion that could include stations in Georgetown and National Harbor, even as they urgently lobby local leaders and the federal government for hundreds of millions of dollars to stave off layoffs and severe service cuts by next summer.

"It is responsible for us to be planning for the future and sharing with the region what's possible and what benefit can come from enhancing the system, and that's what this is really all about," Metro board member Matthew F. Letourneau said at a board meeting Thursday. "But I really can't say loudly enough that this is a planning exercise. This is a planning document. It is not an immediate plan."

Board members reviewed several early proposals for service expansions, most of which transit agency planners said would take "decades" to plan, fund and build. The proposals are primarily aimed at resolving a lack of tunnel capacity between Foggy Bottom in D.C. and Rosslyn in Virginia. Metro officials said growth around stations that use the tunnel is projected to create crowding problems — something that had been occurring before the pandemic..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...getown-tunnel/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

This makes me feel better about WMATA leadership.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 6:53 PM

The proposed Silver Line express bypass only skips four stations.

They could bypass Tyson's entirely using the toll road, which would mean they could skip about 8 stations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation