HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The consistent option in the studies appears to be either a bridge or tunnel somewhere along Orwell or Columbia Street.
I don't see how a bridge along that alignment would work with the grain terminal on the south bank and Columbia is way too close to the Iron Workers'. It feels like a huge unnecessary cost if we're forced to tunnel the Second Narrows. The channel depth south of Orwell isn't even that much shallower than across Waterfront to Lonsdale.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I don't see how a bridge along that alignment would work with the grain terminal on the south bank and Columbia is way too close to the Iron Workers'. It feels like a huge unnecessary cost if we're forced to tunnel the Second Narrows. The channel depth south of Orwell isn't even that much shallower than across Waterfront to Lonsdale.
Take it up with the planners. I'm just the messenger.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:57 AM

Yeah, the bridge allignment is in the North Shore Rapid Transit Crossing Study
- look back in this or the transit thread for a link with all the various options they studied.
(or Google it)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Take it up with the planners. I'm just the messenger.
Small nitpick, but that design is for the proposed 5B2 alignment (Lonsdale -> Downtown) when it seems the region is now pushing for the 5B alignment (Lonsdale -> Brentwood)

I read the Burrard Inlet Rapid Transit Study a while ago but I must have forgotten the proposed bridge alignments.

Source

I don't know why the hesitation to continue this project exists.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:14 AM

Probably trying to get the money and clout together for UBC; North Shore-Willingdon is most likely right behind it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Between the Iron Workers' and the CN Rail Bridge is too tight.
Is it though? The new Pattullo is being built within 25m of the New Westminster (rail) Bridge and there is roughly 100m between the two second narrows on the south side.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Is it though? The new Pattullo is being built within 25m of the New Westminster (rail) Bridge and there is roughly 100m between the two second narrows on the south side.
The new Pattullo is not being built between the old Pattullo and the New West rail bridge though, it's got unlimited clearance to the northeast.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:34 AM

Wherever they choose to go, I would think that there will have to be significant planning with respect to the eventual replacement of the Ironworker's Memorial bridge and the alignment that project would require.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:43 AM

Redesign the skytrain into a big luggage carousel and then you don't have to worry about rolling stock. Boom!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 7:20 PM

Here is my idea for the first upgrade of the West Coast Express, expected in 2XXX, assuming the rail companies give more trackage rights to TransLink as well as dedicated bypass sections being made. In 2XXX, the WCE is expected to also be electrified.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...Ts&usp=sharing

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 8:01 PM

Since Fraser Highway is going to be full of Expo trains, may I suggest running the green line down the TCH instead?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Since Fraser Highway is going to be full of Expo trains, may I suggest running the green line down the TCH instead?
The skytrain is more local rapid with frequent stops but the wce is just one stop per city. So instead of going from Langley to Vancouver and stopping a total of 27 times, you only stop a total of 4 times.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
The skytrain is more local rapid with frequent stops but the wce is just one stop per city. So instead of going from Langley to Vancouver and stopping a total of 27 times, you only stop a total of 4 times.
I mean "full" physically. Not a lot of room for heavy rail on Fraser Highway when there's six lanes and a viaduct blocking it... but the TCH has a big empty space in the middle. Unless the green line is supposed to be underground?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:54 AM

Quote:
I mean "full" physically. Not a lot of room for heavy rail on Fraser Highway when there's six lanes and a viaduct blocking it... but the TCH has a big empty space in the middle. Unless the green line is supposed to be underground?
Underground, parallel, or stacked on top. Take your pick.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 5:24 PM

Any thoughts on a funicular for the Lonsdale Quay up to 8th or 13th (I've only seen funiculars run tracks in straight lines), and / or one in New West. from Front Street to about Royal or Queens Ave?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Any thoughts on a funicular for the Lonsdale Quay up to 8th or 13th (I've only seen funiculars run tracks in straight lines), and / or one in New West. from Front Street to about Royal or Queens Ave?
Apparently funiculars can use sheave wheels to change directions. Still, unless it goes all the way up to Braemar, the buses aren't entirely replaceable, and it might not be a good idea to compete for lane space.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I remember something from years ago about a funicular for bikes to help cyclists get up the hill in New West. I don't know if it was someone thinking out loud or something they were seriously looking into.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I remember something from years ago about a funicular for bikes to help cyclists get up the hill in New West. I don't know if it was someone thinking out loud or something they were seriously looking into.
I'm thinking like a ski lift but more for bikes where you just hold on and it will pull you up, but I can imagine someone will take the cable for crack money.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Here is my idea for the first upgrade of the West Coast Express, expected in 2XXX, assuming the rail companies give more trackage rights to TransLink as well as dedicated bypass sections being made. In 2XXX, the WCE is expected to also be electrified.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...Ts&usp=sharing
How do you propose they get heavy rail up the hill to Metrotown and back down to New West?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
How do you propose they get heavy rail up the hill to Metrotown and back down to New West?
Could be tunnelled

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure