HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:12 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I spent a month in Paris in October, 2021, and one of the biggest things I noticed with the transit systems in Paris was the diversity of rail options.

London has the Tube... Chicago has the L and Metra for regional rail transit.

But in Paris, I noticed:
1 - The Metro for subway transit within the city limits
2 - RER (akin to Chicago's Metra) for metro transit.
3 - Tram for..... above ground region transit?

I stayed in the Puteaux area just south of La Defense, and it took me a while to get used to the different train offerings and now to navigate them. Definitely one of the most impressive metro-wide rail offerings I've ever seen.
Doesn't London have just as many different things though? In addition to the tube (underground) there the overground, the Docklands light metro, the Croydon tramlink (LRT), and various kinds of commuter rail including Crossrail and Thameslink which are basically their version of RER.

Not saying it's better than Paris, but I wouldn't say they're in separate leagues.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Boring Company
Seriously, do you know of any place actually funding that thing outside wannabe city Las Vegas?
People would not only be stuck in their cars. They would also be in tunnels.
That is a fantastic idea...

So, to summarize it, you are going to sit in your car stuck in a tunnel.
Who will buy this? Idk. I would turn mad in 10 minutes.

Boring indeed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Doesn't London have just as many different things though? In addition to the tube (underground) there the overground, the Docklands light metro, the Croydon tramlink (LRT), and various kinds of commuter rail including Crossrail and Thameslink which are basically their version of RER.

Not saying it's better than Paris, but I wouldn't say they're in separate leagues.
Maybe? I also spent a month in London, but I was in SoHo. In Paris, I was west of the city limits in Puteaux. The stop there had Transilien and Tram. I would take one of those up to the La Defense station and usually hop onto the RER to central Paris. So maybe I was just exposed to more options in Paris as opposed to London, but those options seemed to penetrate close to the core of the city, whereas in London, I barely saw anything other than the Tube unless I was at one of the major train stations.

My biggest complaint about Paris though was they didn't have a solid pass system. I had to go to an office, print off a passport-sized photo to get a monthly pass that would cover all systems. Not sure if that's still the case, but it was a pain to get that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

A more general audience MSM article on the Grand Paris Express, but a pretty good overview for those less familiar with the scope and details:

Paris is getting a whole new Metro network. And it’s huge

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:54 PM

Meanwhile, in the U.S., we cannot build anything transit-related unless we have a Dem POTUS. And in a country where one state has a bigger economy than France, where one metro has about the economy of France, we cannot even dream of it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Preaching to the choir Crawford

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 12:39 AM

Interesting because last week or so, transit news out of Paris was stuff like this:

Paris 'not ready' for Olympics amid transport and housing worries

Paris metro prices will almost double during 2024 Olympic Games

But that's just about the Olympics next year in Paris. I'm sure their whole new Metro network will be great in the long run.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A more general audience MSM article on the Grand Paris Express, but a pretty good overview for those less familiar with the scope and details:

Paris is getting a whole new Metro network. And it’s huge

This is incredible. It's nice to see that something like this is still possible today.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 1:20 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Meanwhile, in the U.S., we cannot build anything transit-related unless we have a Dem POTUS. And in a country where one state has a bigger economy than France, where one metro has about the economy of France, we cannot even dream of it.
well, you know, they don’t have to be world police, so …

Old Posted Dec 30, 2023, 11:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Paris is humiliating...

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:38 PM

^ Idk whether humiliating is any proper term... We're not trying to humiliate anybody. This is only to serve our community.

The cost of the whole thing is estimated at something like €42 billion for now. It might cost more in the end, but anyway, if anything like this was built in NYC, it could cost 10 times as much.

Funding is a complicated arrangement. Some money comes from the EU and some from the French state, but it's probably mostly funded by the Paris region itself, because taxpayers from other regions would complain otherwise (that would be legitimate).
We certainly don't need them to fund our subway anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
You like to boast about the wealth of your country, but the French are probably better-off than you know. They are good at saving and hiding their money. Bankers laugh at us because of that.
In fact, it's not that they would be particularly stingy (they can actually be generous when you're familiar enough with them), but they are scared of tomorrow.
They usually save a significant part of their money to feel safer, so they have some savings in case things would go rougher.
Sadly, our people don't really trust tomorrow, which is a serious issue.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

10x is a stretch. I think 4x is honestly more likely. Maybe 2.5x with excellent management. It's so unfair.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation