HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:46 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Why 2 towers anyway? How about ONE 1100 footer and know the thing will probably be 40% average vacancy for 3-4 years? The extra cost of construction (time wasted for a future development that may not happen at all) and digging another Hole should end up costing about the same as a single much taller building.
Construction and engineering costs skyrocket after like 1000' or something. Obviously there are a lot of factors at play but what makes you say it'd be "about the same"?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:59 PM

^ That's what I've heard as well, and is the reason why so many 700-to-900 footers are being proposed and constructed: apparently that's the sweet spot in terms of benefit-cost ratio. For skyscraper fans this can be disappointing, since some of the 900+ footers would be supertalls if they were just a tad taller, but most developers don't care about that, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:31 AM

I suppose some of know more about construction costs than myself. Question: What would the cost be of the time digging, drilling, foundation creation, ect., and then getting to grade and then the first 8-10 floors for a 50-60 story office building?
I've heard some of these arguments for years....Just currious I guess.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:57 AM

Why not a 5,000' office tower where the loss factor is 54%?

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
^ That's what I've heard as well, and is the reason why so many 700-to-900 footers are being proposed and constructed: apparently that's the sweet spot in terms of benefit-cost ratio. For skyscraper fans this can be disappointing, since some of the 900+ footers would be supertalls if they were just a tad taller, but most developers don't care about that, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Very interesting, but does the cost become prohibitive over 1000 feet if you add a crown or something of that type. You may be right though about benefit-cost ratio, maybe that is the reason some newly built or proposed New York skyscrapers are in the 50 to 60 story range but with crowns or antennas list over 1000 feet. Even so if 301 and 325 Wacker Drive twin towers had sizeable crowns atop them both, that would be awesome...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:39 PM

From my 3D model of Chicago.

Bonus shots of the unbuilt original proposal.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
Even so if 301 and 325 Wacker Drive twin towers had sizeable crowns atop them both, that would be awesome...
For you and me it might seem like a no-brainer to spend another, say, $500k to add some vanity height, but most penny-pinching developers would disagree.

Luckily a few developers do care for vanity height and bragging rights. Look at Chicago's 6th and 7th tallest buildings, Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. Their roofs are only around 900 ft, probably to keep the benefit-cost ratio reasonable, but both have spires that go just high enough to reach supertall status.

At only 775', 301 & 321 S Wacker Drive are too far below the 984' mark to ever become supertalls -- they would look rather silly with 210' spires -- although it's still nice that they will be the tallest identical twin buildings in North America, assuming their heights aren't cut. NOTE: The "twins" at Harbour Plaza in Toronto are not identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
From my 3D model of Chicago.
Being right next to Sears/Willis, these "tallest identical twin buildings in North America" look like midgets. *SIGH*

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:41 PM
DENNAB

Nice work rgarri, although I must say 311 South Wacker triplets looks a bit odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
For you and me it might seem like a no-brainer to spend another, say, $500k to add some vanity height, but most penny-pinching developers would disagree.

Luckily a few developers do care for vanity height and bragging rights. Look at Chicago's 6th and 7th tallest buildings, Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. Their roofs are only around 900 ft, probably to keep the benefit-cost ratio reasonable, but both have spires that go just high enough to reach supertall status.

At only 775', 301 & 321 S Wacker Drive are too far below the 984' mark to ever become supertalls -- they would look rather silly with 210' spires -- although it's still nice that they will be the tallest identical twin buildings in North America, assuming their heights aren't cut. NOTE: The "twins" at Harbour Plaza in Toronto are not identical.
Not sure reaching supertall status was intentional for those buildings, I don't think most developers care about such an arbitrary number or even know it exists.

Spires are kinda lame unless they really fit the design, I'd rather just have two 775' buildings with cool roof gardens.

Quote:
Being right next to Sears/Willis, these "tallest identical twin buildings in North America" look like midgets. *SIGH*
Well yea, Sears is huge

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:55 PM

New proposal looks way better than 3 of 311 S Wackers. That just looks weird. Good work as always rgarri

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
New proposal looks way better than 3 of 311 S Wackers. That just looks weird. Good work as always rgarri
I agree with all parts of this

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:26 AM

yeah how much office space does white castle really need

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:04 AM

^^lol! Lots of "Sliders"!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 2:51 PM

That's not at all what the original plan was. Pure artist embellishment. But thanks for playing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 5:51 AM

At any rate, I'd like to see something significant go up on that site before I croak!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:12 AM

Ugh if only they had built the other two, would have been a perfect postmodern paradise

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:34 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ blech

One 311 s wacker is too much as it is.

Perhaps my least favorite major tower in the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
That's not at all what the original plan was. Pure artist embellishment. But thanks for playing.
Go back a page. I doubt the developer would use a non serious artist embellishment to advertise what they were planning.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:34 AM

311 S Wacker

Three 311 S Wacker's look too much like a housing project. Thanks for the modeling but one is plenty.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Go back a page. I doubt the developer would use a non serious artist embellishment to advertise what they were planning.
FWIW, I remember seeing the plan for additional two towers back then. They were diagonally connected to the two "wings" (if you will) on the existing 311 S Wacker. Not free standing. Look at the existing building design. Those offshoots on the back/sides of the building were designed with that in mind. I can't say when the massing design on the previous page came exactly. Maybe it was much earlier in the process. As you can see in that design the towers were hexagonal, for example. The final is octagonal.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 10:47 PM

According to This a zoning variance has been granted for these to reduce the parking requirements provided that construction starts by July of 2022.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals