HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
The only logical way a private operator should be considered is if the entire project delivery is structured around a design-co-finance-build-operate-maintain P3 model (i.e. the Canada Line) with the many lessons learned from that project incorporate into the contract.

To be clear, you don't add a profit-seeking partner to public transit without a really good reason.

Not having experience running a train (a bit rich for a system with 'railway' in its name, incidentally) is not a good enough reason to do a P3.

Not knowing how to build one could be a good reason, but, fortunately, Hamilton isn't building the thing. Metrolinx is. And they've done this before, so no P3 is needed.

A major funding shortfall is a good reason, and the City sure couldn't afford this on its own dime, but the Province is picking up the tab, so no P3 is needed.
I don't really have a lot of confidence in the HSR.

"To be clear, you don't add a profit-seeking partner to public transit without a really good reason."

I don't think that's much of an argument. Public sector productivity is poor. I don't think we want more of it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 2:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Posted this in the Hamilton Roads thread, but it relates to LRT as well:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=236

Quote:
Longwood bridge rebuild put off until 2032 after LRT route change
Reconstruction is now a long way off, but the city is exploring temporary safety improvements for pedestrians this year.

https://www.thespec.com/news/council...307114b6d.html

Matthew-Van Dongen
The Hamilton Spectator
Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Replacement of the aging Longwood Road bridge will wait at least eight years now that the highway-spanning structure is no longer part of Hamilton’s LRT project.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 5:49 PM

There's been a notice in the Spec from Metrolinx over the past few days - "Notice of Application for Approval to Expropriate Land" for the building at the SW corner of Main and Kenilworth, where the Cash Money business resides.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:12 PM

Preview of the LRT stop design at Mac?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:23 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Thanks! I recall there being a plan to put the transit hub close to the LRT terminus, but I don't remember if there were drawings (and it's nice to see other buildings in the plan; makes me wonder what the university will do with the existing bus platform area north of Thode Library, presuming this "bus interchange" will replace it)

Another large parking lot will be gone, though it looks to be replaced in a new structure. Will that be the school's first above-ground parking building on campus? (not counting that 2-level lot for the hospital). It's been a while since I visited.

The Campus Plan shows more, including downtown (which we largely know about) and expansion in Burlington. The full plan is here, though the PDF links aren't working for me.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Feb 8, 2024 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:49 PM

FYI here's the PDF McMaster Campus Plan 2023

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:01 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
FYI here's the PDF McMaster Campus Plan 2023
Much appreciated.

And there goes my "work day" afternoon...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:11 PM

There's a pic of the station on page 52. Looks pretty nice if that actually happens.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
There's a pic of the station on page 52. Looks pretty nice if that actually happens.

Last edited by Hawrylyshyn; Feb 8, 2024 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:14 PM
Hammer'd

Good to see that they're planning to move the bus terminal closer to the LRT stop at Main and Cootes. The current location is pretty isolated if you need to connect to it from HSR. Some real dumb planning there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Good to see that they're planning to move the bus terminal closer to the LRT stop at Main and Cootes. The current location is pretty isolated if you need to connect to it from HSR. Some real dumb planning there.
I would think there was a lot of inertia related to not wanting to lose that parking lot. And some of the HSR routing has changed; I'm not sure if that happened before or after the terminal near Thode went in.

The current bus "terminal" is a bit more central to the campus buildings and residences, but far from the existing B-Line bus route (remember when they used to enter campus off Sterling, and turn around and stop beside the hospital? that was the routing at least up until the mid-90s).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 3:09 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming this is still conceptual. It doesn't look like a final design. There don't seem to be proper platforms for either HSR or GO Transit.
HSR would want sawtooth like Eastgate, Mohawk, and future Lime Ridge, especially since they would be running some articulated buses through here.
GO would want gaps between their platforms for queueing and wheelchair loading (on buses where they don't load W/Cs at the front door), like their stations at Hamilton GO or Union.
I'm disappointed that there isn't a transit-only entrance right at the corner of Main and Cootes. Each bus still has to travel an extra few-hundred metres to get going in the right direction. Why not move that AR1 block further north and let buses enter directly from the intersection? That way transit wouldn't have to enter the campus at all.

Last edited by mishap; Feb 10, 2024 at 3:11 AM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:30 AM

LRT costs holding up project.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:23 AM
Ham-burgher

More fodder for the anti-LRT "we need to spend that money on [...]" crowd.

Yet let's not blink an eye about the rising costs of other things, transportation or otherwise.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure