HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The chances of a 5-year lockdown are nil.
Nobody, under no circumstances, will put up with anything remotely as long.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
This is like saying Walmart and Nordstrom are the same because they're both department stores. I like London, but this is laughably not true. Or more than likely anybody who thinks this spent all their time in Mississauga and thinks this is what Toronto is about. In that case, I'd agree. London is like what they perceive Toronto to be.
Yeah, that's how I see it too.

Despite Toronto's cost, I'd still live here over any other city in Ontario. It's not just the usual things like friends, family and a job. Those are the main reasons keeping me here, but if those things were out of province, and I had to live in Ontario as part of the rules of some funny contest, I'd still choose Toronto because I value the things that Toronto offers more than I value things like a large house and a yard.

Beyond the usual personal considerations, Toronto is big enough that it has a dozen or more examples of everything I like. If I lived in a mid-sized town, it might have one walkable neighbourhood, one good Chinese restaurant, one bar where the bartender knows how to make a good cocktail, etc. After a while, I'd like some variety. In some ways, my love of big cities is precisely the joy of getting out of your house and exploring new things.

Then there are the intangibles. A walkable neighbourhood in a big city has a totally different experience from a walkable neighbourhood in a small city, even if the environment looks the exact same. For example, this neighbourhood in Trois Rivieres has a big city "look", but I'm pretty sure it is completely different in overall feel from a neighbourhood with a similar built form in Montreal.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
This pandemic has been around for about 3 months. Give it 5 years and you'll likely see those cities have a slightly lower, or stagnated population.

You are not going to see this in 3 months of lockdown.
5 years? LOL.

If we can't figure out a vaccine and long term controls in months, we will have bigger issues. And no, I don't buy for a second, that we won't have a vaccine and long term mitigations in place in a year.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
So your suggestion is that we simply ignore the issue and continue on our present belief that our cities will continue to grow endlessly? That is not only poor planning but also highly irresponsible.

Remember this is not just about overall population growth. A city may still be growing at a slow pace but if that growth happens in new areas that automatically means that more established areas are suffering from massive population decline and soaring age levels.

This reality requires truly visionary urban planning and political will. We must get rid of this childish and irresponsible notion that "bigger is better|". Just as growing cities can suffer from a plunging quality of life {aka Vancouver}, shrinking and stagnating ones can enjoy a soaring quality of life and a far more vibrant and engaging urban experience.

Last edited by ssiguy; May 31, 2020 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 5:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
5 years? LOL.

If we can't figure out a vaccine and long term controls in months, we will have bigger issues. And no, I don't buy for a second, that we won't have a vaccine and long term mitigations in place in a year.
Either way a 5-year lockdown for covid makes no sense. Even 3 months is hard to justify for those who have a 0.2% chance of death should they get infected. Most people have probably already given up more than 0.2% of their quality-adjusted years of life for this.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Quote:
5 years? LOL.

Not the lockdown, but the effects of it. The Spanish Flue, 2 world wars, and the Depression shaped the 50s and 60s. So once the virus is at bay, yes, life will continue, but I feel that in about 5 years, housing will change in our top cites. Condos won't be so appealing. Rural life will become more attractive. If we were to chart population growth on a map, we might see that curve level off somewhat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto
It looks like about 100,000 added to Toronto every 5 years. It wouldn't surprise me if that went down to 50,000. It is still growing, but at a much slower rate.

So, no, the top cities will not lose population, but it will grow slower.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 6:09 PM
recession proof

I was exploring Peterborough earlier this week: very interesting place I'd consider moving to. It's growing, has many walkable urban neighbourhoods and a large downtown. I think it's nicer than Stratford or Guelph and arguably has a bigger historic downtown than Calgary or Edmonton.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I was exploring Peterborough earlier this week: very interesting place I'd consider moving to. It's growing, has many walkable urban neighbourhoods and a large downtown. I think it's nicer than Stratford or Guelph and arguably has a bigger historic downtown than Calgary or Edmonton.
I keep saying, HFR will make Peterborough take off.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 6:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Then there are the intangibles. A walkable neighbourhood in a big city has a totally different experience from a walkable neighbourhood in a small city, even if the environment looks the exact same. For example, this neighbourhood in Trois Rivieres has a big city "look", but I'm pretty sure it is completely different in overall feel from a neighbourhood with a similar built form in Montreal.
This is a tangent but while Trois-Rivières has a low profile around Canada it must have one of the nicer smaller downtowns in the country, with a decent amount of newer "missing middle" infill. I think it might be a bit more impressive than Kingston architecturally.

I don't know what to make of these discussions sometimes. One error I see is when people look at lower "tier" Ontario cities and assume that level of vibrancy is just what you get at 500,000 or 800,000 inhabitants. But that's clearly not true; there are some very vibrant Hamilton-sized European cities. Ontario is a bit like the US as far as having heavily populated industrial towns that are kind of dull.

I don't know much about London but I still follow Halifax stuff, and I find sometimes the way people talk about options or limitations there is out of whack with the reality on the ground. To put things in perspective a food discussion there might be "what are your top 5 hot pot spots" or "where are some places I can get xiao long bao". The options thin out more noticeably at the higher end, in places where you might spend hundreds of dollars on a meal. Most Torontonians are not regular patrons of those places, but the top 5% of earners in Toronto still make up a decent-sized market while in Halifax they do not.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Yeah, that's how I see it too.

Despite Toronto's cost, I'd still live here over any other city in Ontario. It's not just the usual things like friends, family and a job. Those are the main reasons keeping me here, but if those things were out of province, and I had to live in Ontario as part of the rules of some funny contest, I'd still choose Toronto because I value the things that Toronto offers more than I value things like a large house and a yard.

The only other big draw in the suburbs is ethnic and family ties. But immigrants who move half way across the world are often willing to give up some of that, especially among the younger cohorts.

Beyond the usual personal considerations, Toronto is big enough that it has a dozen or more examples of everything I like. If I lived in a mid-sized town, it might have one walkable neighbourhood, one good Chinese restaurant, one bar where the bartender knows how to make a good cocktail, etc. After a while, I'd like some variety. In some ways, my love of big cities is precisely the joy of getting out of your house and exploring new things.
The thing is, a lot of "Torontonians" don't have this experience. I would argue that most of the GTA doesn't have this experience. A good chunk of the GTA and even a lot of the 416 is very suburban. So for many of these people a move to cities like London is hardly a huge change. There's no huge difference between the food court options at Square One in Mississauga and Masonville Mall in London. From that perspective I agree with those who say these cities can draw people from the GTA.

However, whenever you hear politicians talk or even forumers here, the idea isn't to draw some immigrant Chinese family away from Markham. It's to try and get some WASP Yuppie Millennial professional couple to give up their Leslieville semi and take up in London's Old North. That ain't happening. They legitimately value their yuppie Toronto lifestyle with transit, cheap ethnic food and the quick walk to the yoga studio and dog groomer. Far easier to actually convince that immigrant family to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't know what to make of these discussions sometimes. One error I see is when people look at lower "tier" Ontario cities and assume that level of vibrancy is just what you get at 500,000 or 800,000 inhabitants. But that's clearly not true; there are some very vibrant Hamilton-sized European cities. Ontario is a bit like the US as far as having heavily populated industrial towns that are kind of dull.
What I find odd is the amount of people who take about mid-sized cities in Canada as some kind of idyllic small town. London is becoming a fucking sprawling mess with bad traffic at peak. Halifax isn't that much better. Heck, I remember a transit consultation a decade ago where an attendee was whining that Ottawa was not Toronto and didn't need a multi-billion dollar transit system. A huge part of the problem with our conversations about cities in Canada is that Canadians think anything smaller that TMV isn't really that big. All while the mid-sized cities are turn out to be among the worst for sprawl. Look at what Ottawa is becoming, while having about the same population as Mississauga. Predictably, there's people who now leave home at 6am to beat the traffic. But sure, Ottawa is not like Toronto....

Ontario's mid sized towns are not always a notable improvement on Toronto. If you and your spouse have jobs where you don't have to commute regularly or have short commutes, the GTA is actually pretty damn fantastic. Meanwhile, that mid sized Ontario city means worse job opportunities, less contact with extended family, usually more driving and often less of all the little things (like hole in the wall eateries) that make Toronto great....

Quote:
I don't know much about London but I still follow Halifax stuff, and I find sometimes the way people talk about options or limitations there is out of whack with the reality on the ground. To put things in perspective a food discussion there might be "what are your top 5 hot pot spots" or "where are some places I can get xiao long bao". The options thin out more noticeably at the higher end, in places where you might spend hundreds of dollars on a meal. Most Torontonians are not regular patrons of those places, but the top 5% of earners in Toronto still make up a decent-sized market while in Halifax they do not.
The viability threshold is not always based on income/wealth. Sometimes it's just the mix of people. For a lot of ethnic restaurants, for example, viability (especially at launch) is having enough consumers of the same ethnicity (or sufficiently adjacent) to support your cuisine. A great example for me is Indo-Chinese (often called Hakka) food, one of my personal favourites. Toronto has one or several Hakka restaurants in virtually every suburb. And they do well. Ottawa has a million people. Not one Hakka restaurant. What would surprise most people is that the main customers for these restaurants are South Asians. Not East Asians. And Toronto has some of the best Hakka restaurants in North America.

Even outside of dining, there's a lot of options across activities that bigger cities enable based on simply having the base of support necessary, which would not exist in smaller centres.It will not be possible to enable most of these options in smaller centres. What we should be aiming for though is making these smaller centres more connected to big centres so that accessing these activities is possible from the smaller centres. It should be possible to live in London and Kingston and in a reasonable amount of time and for reasonable cost get to Toronto and spend and evening or for a full day out attending to whatever you couldn't get/do at home.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
This is a tangent but while Trois-Rivières has a low profile around Canada it must have one of the nicer smaller downtowns in the country, with a decent amount of newer "missing middle" infill. I think it might be a bit more impressive than Kingston architecturally.

Really?
My younger brother went to school in Trois Riviere. There's one nice high street (Des Forges), but outside of that I found the town to be quite run down and unimpressive. Those apartments Hipster duck posted are run down and nowhere near anything worth walking to. Most people still own cars. Maybe it's changed in the last 5 years, but I would put it closer to St. Catharines (which isn't good) than I would Kingston (which is a rare gem in Canada).

I haven't really seen anyone make the claim that population size on its own is enough to achieve some level of vibrancy. Those European cities may have a similar population, but they're concentrated in a much smaller area. The population of our "cities" in Canada are grossly inflated by large subdivisions that have little connection to their urban cores.
Hamilton may have a population of 500,000, but the vast majority of those people are not living in the city.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
So your suggestion is that we simply ignore the issue and continue on our present belief that our cities will continue to grow endlessly?
You seem to have trouble distinguishing "belief" from fact. It's your belief that our cities will shrink. There's no facts to support that belief to date.

Quote:
Remember this is not just about overall population growth. A city may still be growing at a slow pace but if that growth happens in new areas that automatically means that more established areas are suffering from massive population decline and soaring age levels.
This is a statement that packs in so many assumptions that I wouldn't know where to begin.

Quote:
Just as growing cities can suffer from a plunging quality of life {aka Vancouver}, shrinking and stagnating ones can enjoy a soaring quality of life and a far more vibrant and engaging urban experience.
Says you. Ask any mayor or city comptroller what they fear and you'll get a very different answer. Ending growth, without curbs on urban sprawl would see property taxes skyrocketing.

Quote:
Not the lockdown, but the effects of it. The Spanish Flue, 2 world wars, and the Depression shaped the 50s and 60s.
This is a statement that packs in a lot of assumptions and a bit of ignorance about history into one line. We can see the Depression led to a tangible push for more universal social programs. But how exactly did the Spanish flu shape the 50s and 60s?

Quote:
So once the virus is at bay, yes, life will continue, but I feel that in about 5 years, housing will change in our top cites.
The keywords in this sentence are "I feel". Zero evidence that this is happening in any way that is statistically relevant.

Quote:
Condos won't be so appealing. Rural life will become more attractive.
LOL @ the idea that people will leave condos and move right on up to rural acre lots.

Quote:
It looks like about 100,000 added to Toronto every 5 years. It wouldn't surprise me if that went down to 50,000. It is still growing, but at a much slower rate.

So, no, the top cities will not lose population, but it will grow slower.
In that case, these cities are still growing, which make this entire conversation about planning for shrinking cities moot.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 8:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
What I find odd is the amount of people who take about mid-sized cities in Canada as some kind of idyllic small town. London is becoming a fucking sprawling mess with bad traffic at peak. Halifax isn't that much better.
The difference is that for most people the menu of affordable housing options in Toronto is quite limited. Most people in Toronto cannot afford a walkable historic neighbourhood or a an attractive quasi-rural private large lot. So if they want urban they live in a dreary inner postwar suburb and if they want more space they go to the urban fringe and suffer a long commute.

Quote:
The viability threshold is not always based on income/wealth. Sometimes it's just the mix of people. For a lot of ethnic restaurants, for example, viability (especially at launch) is having enough consumers of the same ethnicity (or sufficiently adjacent) to support your cuisine. A great example for me is Indo-Chinese (often called Hakka) food, one of my personal favourites. Toronto has one or several Hakka restaurants in virtually every suburb. And they do well. Ottawa has a million people. Not one Hakka restaurant. What would surprise most people is that the main customers for these restaurants are South Asians. Not East Asians. And Toronto has some of the best Hakka restaurants in North America.
Hakka cuisine is a good example to put things into perspective. It's the kind of specialized restaurant that has about a 70% chance of existing in metro Halifax. We have a few of them in Vancouver and Toronto probably has 2-3x as many. Hakka food is great but I'm a little skeptical that having 15 different Indian and Chinese restaurant types but not Hakka is that significant quality-of-life wise.

There's also an inherent bias in trying to hunt around for stuff that Toronto has without also approaching things from the other direction (e.g. you say Miami is lacking because it doesn't have Hakka restaurants but you don't consider Latin American food, which is generally kind of lacking in Canada). I'd expect it to have more variety overall than smaller cities but it does not offer everything. One important aspect of moving to a different city or region is adapting to what's available there.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Really?
My younger brother went to school in Trois Riviere. There's one nice high street (Des Forges), but outside of that I found the town to be quite run down and unimpressive. Those apartments Hipster duck posted are run down and nowhere near anything worth walking to. Most people still own cars. Maybe it's changed in the last 5 years, but I would put it closer to St. Catharines (which isn't good) than I would Kingston (which is a rare gem in Canada).

I'd disagree. While neither city knocks out the other, I'd argue Kingston is a bit over-rated and Trois-Rivières is under-rated. Heck, Trois-Rivières is even under-rated within Quebec itself.

I actually like Kingston quite a bit but find it a tad disappointing. The main street (Princess) is horrible for most of its length, until you reach Division St. Then it's actually pretty darn nice for the next half-dozen or 10 blocks until you reach the waterfront. The areas going west from downtown a few blocks in from the water going towards the university are quite nice as well. But much of the city ranges from quite banal North American post-war sprawl to surprisingly run-down areas where one can assume families live because daddy is spending time in jail here.

Kingston is still the best city in its size range in Ontario by a longshot, and is even better than some that are much larger. But let's not push it.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
I haven't really seen anyone make the claim that population size on its own is enough to achieve some level of vibrancy.
I think it's implied when people talk about certain mid-sized cities and say, "It's big enough to have...," and, "Nobody is going to miss anything moving from Toronto."

Quote:
Those European cities may have a similar population, but they're concentrated in a much smaller area. The population of our "cities" in Canada are grossly inflated by large subdivisions that have little connection to their urban cores.
Well put. Compare Hamilton or London to similar sized European cities like Bergen or Tours or Granada. The easy excuse that people will tell you that it's the old world charm that makes those cities nice. No, it's the walkability and pedestrian friendly design that makes that old world charm enjoyable. The very same buildings built on wide suburban streets would suck.

Quote:
Hamilton may have a population of 500,000, but the vast majority of those people are not living in the city.
Yep. Ditto everywhere. Cookie cutter suburbs ensuring equal access to mediocrity across Canada! So now, you can have the same shitty transit, lack of walkable neighbourhoods, and chain drive-throughs whether you live in Pickering, or Stittsville or Brossard or Sackville or Surrey.

Last edited by Truenorth00; May 31, 2020 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Yep. Ditto everywhere. Cookie cutter suburbs ensuring equal access to mediocrity across Canada! So now, you can have the same shitty transit, lack of walkable neighbourhoods, and chain drive-throughs whether you live in Pickering, or Stittsville or Brossard or Sackville or Surrey.
It is not really the same everywhere. It's rare to find a metro without much sprawl in North America but some metros are 40 or 50% urban while others are around 0%. There is a lot of variety. I would argue that if you care about cities the existence of the urban parts is more significant than whether or not there are car-oriented suburbs nearby.

I'd also argue that it doesn't take a very large concentration of people to make an urban area that stands out in North America (vibrant, big enough to explore a bunch) if it's done well. Do the old walkable parts of Toronto even have 1 million inhabitants?

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd disagree. While neither city knocks out the other, I'd argue Kingston is a bit over-rated and Trois-Rivières is under-rated. Heck, Trois-Rivières is even under-rated within Quebec itself.

I actually like Kingston quite a bit but find it a tad disappointing. The main street (Princess) is horrible for most of its length, until you reach Division St. Then it's actually pretty darn nice for the next half-dozen or 10 blocks until you reach the waterfront. The areas going west from downtown a few blocks in from the water going towards the university are quite nice as well. But much of the city ranges from quite banal North American post-war sprawl to surprisingly run-down areas where one can assume families live because daddy is spending time in jail here.

Kingston is still the best city in its size range in Ontario by a longshot, and is even better than some that are much larger. But let's not push it.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live in any of these places. I realise much of Kingston is a facade beyond the university/downtown area, very similar to what you'd find in Trois Rivieres. Neither city offers what Hipster Duck was referring to in his post, and I think it'd be very easy for someone coming from a big city to move there and grow quickly bored despite the built form not appearing too different in some photos.

But Kingston is a proper university town, a tourism destination, and has a downtown core that reflects its historical importance. Its a place I would stop over if I had a tourist in my car, and probably even if I was on my own because it's nice to look at. I would not give Trois Rivieres a second thought now that my brother no longer goes to school there. Its one of the oldest cities in the country, but you get no sense of its historical importance when you visit. It's Kingston without everything that makes Kingston nice. Its just a complete dud.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
I'd also argue that it doesn't take a very large concentration of people to make an urban area that stands out in North America (vibrant, big enough to explore a bunch) if it's done well. Do the old walkable parts of Toronto even have 1 million inhabitants?

Marseille only has 800,000 people, but if you were just walking around town and didn't have an appreciation of Toronto's sprawl you might think Marseille is the bigger city.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Marseille only has 800,000 people, but if you were just walking around town and didn't have an appreciation of Toronto's sprawl you would likely think Marseille is the bigger city.
great place. I lived there for one month out of each year for 4 years. The dense urban fabric goes on way more than any city in Canada. Marseille has its problems too (pretty gritty banlieues, which are not very safe to walk around at night) but the dense urban core beats anything here by a long shot.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:16 PM

Lucky. One of my favourites cities to visit. Went there once 5 years ago, and made two return trips in the next 5.

Last edited by theman23; May 31, 2020 at 9:18 PM. Reason: post may have come off the wrong way

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada